PDA

View Full Version : Hyper-THreading in today's games

DXnfiniteFX
10-22-02, 01:14 AM
Subject says it all. I was wondering if hyper-threading will have a performance improvement over a standard processor. Supposedly, XP already has built in support and optimizations. How will a game, say UT2003 (which is desperate for performance increases), fare with a future processor technology? Obviously, performance shouldn't increase, but how much should it increase, if at all?

LORD-eX-Bu
10-22-02, 01:28 AM
in that thing on the front page it says that it should have a 25% increase in some things over the 2.8 Ghz. I think that includes UT2k3, but when I see that 25% increase I don't know, its new tech, so I'll beleive it. But when I downloaded the 40.72 Dets from nVIDIA they also said up to a 25% increase in performance over earlier releases and I didn't see anything.

StealthHawk
10-22-02, 03:44 AM
if the application or game supports multiple CPUs, like Q3 does, then it might see a noticeable increase. i wouldn't hold my breath if the software in mind doesn't support multi-processors.

Renzo
10-22-02, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
if the application or game supports multiple CPUs, like Q3 does, then it might see a noticeable increase. i wouldn't hold my breath if the software in mind doesn't support multi-processors.
The problem is, Q3A even with SMP optimizations, couldn't get any performance boost on dual p3 system. It had something to do with the architecture of memory subsystem on dual p3 machine.

If the SMP support (in game) is properly made, there could be big differences in performance.

DXnfiniteFX
10-22-02, 11:37 PM
Does the UT2003 engine support hyper-threading? If it doesn't, Epic would be stupid not to add in that code. It is an already demanding enough game. Well, Intel IS the processor of choice for the CPL.

StealthHawk
10-23-02, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by DXnfiniteFX
Does the UT2003 engine support hyper-threading? If it doesn't, Epic would be stupid not to add in that code. It is an already demanding enough game. Well, Intel IS the processor of choice for the CPL.
i doubt they added it in, as no CPU is available that supports it.

volt
10-23-02, 09:16 AM
Xeons use hyperthreading. That kind of hyperthreading will be used on new prescotts. There will be some minor changes to it, but it should be very similar to Xeon's.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-23-02, 12:13 PM
i doubt they added it in, as no CPU is available that supports it.

Alot of the new P4s have Hyperthreading, but it is disabled, I guess its cuz it was no good at that stage but my mobo supports it! so as soon as P4 Hyperthreading goes to like $250 or below its mine!

StealthHawk
10-23-02, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by volt
Xeons use hyperthreading. That kind of hyperthreading will be used on new prescotts. There will be some minor changes to it, but it should be very similar to Xeon's.

i forgot about that :o

but i was talking about in the consumer space anyway, not a lot of gamers own xeons :D

LORD-eX-Bu
10-23-02, 04:56 PM
i forgot about that :o

but i was talking about in the consumer space anyway, not a lot of gamers own xeons :D

I own a P2 XEON, does that count?:p

StealthHawk
10-23-02, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by |TX|-LORD-EX-BU
I own a P2 XEON, does that count?:p

nope, the P2 Xeons were actually good, so no :p