PDA

View Full Version : Damn it!

PaiN
07-03-04, 09:29 PM
I was more than happy in the first few days I had this 6800GT...it was great through testing and benching......But, now that I've started gaming, NOTHING but troubles after troubles....I ain't too happy, now.
I have not run one game with out an major or minor issue(most are major).
Painkiller and Thief: DS are basicly unplayable due to verious crashes(dependent on the driver), NWN...started haveing graphical gliches as soon as I ran AA \ AF settings, UT04 is unpredicable, sometimes it won't even start.
This is all very fustrating....I tried FW 6136, 6171, 6121 and 6145, (cleaning with DriverCleaner3 between sets) I even installed DX9c, which I think made things worse and I brought the clocks way back down....
I was expecting a few minor snags here and there but this is crazy......the X800Pro, like all the Radeons I had before it,....just worked. I had zero issues with any of these games on the Pro.....So for my $420 I seemed to have bought a boat load of aggivation.

Banko
07-03-04, 09:54 PM
Hmm Perhaps try formatting? I seem to have zero problems every game you mention works perfectly!

jcossin
07-03-04, 09:58 PM
I feel your PaiN! (Sorry couldn't resist)

Being a software engineer myself, I can tell you that creating a set of drivers to work with a brand new architecture and expect it to work with every game which has its own set of issues and nuances is a bitch.

I'm sure we will see a SLEW of Forceware releases to fix game issues. We'll just have to wait and see if nVidia does it any better than ATI (who seems to break games that were working each time they try to fix a game that wasn't).

By getting a 6800 so quickly (official Forceware's aren't even released yet) you are are the bleeding edge of technology and unfortunately will have to pay a price...

I'll be there with ya soon (as soon as BB ships by card)...

kahloq
07-03-04, 10:21 PM
It is also possible you may have gotten a "somewhat" bad card. If all else fails, you can try RMAing it for a new one. I dunno tho. You got ALOT of stuff in your box, but you got a 560w PSU so I cant see that as the problem, unless it plain just doesnt like an overclocked cpu. On e guy mentioned that when he returned his CPU to stock settings, the vid card performed flawlessly.

Vapor Trail
07-03-04, 10:30 PM
I was more than happy in the first few days I had this 6800GT...it was great through testing and benching......But, now that I've started gaming, NOTHING but troubles after troubles....I ain't too happy, now.
I have not run one game with out an major or minor issue(most are major).

This is not what I want to hear. Hopefully I'll have better luck on my system.

I'm perfectly stable now and all my games run wonderfully so I won't be a happy camper if I experience the same problems you are having. I fully expect a few problems but more than that would be unacceptable IMO.

I sure hope Nvidia releases some official drivers soon.

Ruined
07-03-04, 10:43 PM
I sure hope Nvidia releases some official drivers soon.

I'm betting they will with the SM3.0 FarCry patch.

That being said Pain, if your card doesn't work at stock speeds with any of the drivers you mentioned, odds are you have a bad card you should RMA.

Blacklash
07-03-04, 10:50 PM
I would concur with Ruined here. It sounds like a troubled piece of hardware possibly.

jp5612
07-03-04, 10:50 PM
I'm betting they will with the SM3.0 FarCry patch.

That being said Pain, if your card doesn't work at stock speeds with any of the drivers you mentioned, odds are you have a bad card you should RMA.

I have a BFG 6800GT with a Koolance waterblock. OC at the moment at 400/1050. Runs everything without a glitch (so far, fingers crossed.) UT 2004 has no issues with everything at absolute Max. Far Cry has not crashed either. Haven't tried any others yet. Currently running 61.45.

PaiN
07-03-04, 10:56 PM
Hmm Perhaps try formatting? I seem to have zero problems every game you mention works perfectly!
Banko, I hate too go here again...but what FW are you running?

and jp5612...what are who using for RAM cooling?

AthlonXP1800
07-03-04, 10:56 PM
Yes it important to formatting after install new card like I did with 5900 Ultra last year. :)

Banko
07-03-04, 11:00 PM

I tried lots of drivers 61.32's 61.36's 61.45's 61.71's all work for me. Back to 61.71's now that I got SP2 installed though.

PaiN
07-03-04, 11:02 PM
thanks.

kahloq
07-03-04, 11:04 PM
I dunno if this would help, but have you tried installing SP2. It may be a fault of the dx9.0c you installed. Im grasping here. But it wouldnt hurt to try that before an RMA

DivotMaker
07-03-04, 11:06 PM
Yes it important to formatting after install new card like I did with 5900 Ultra last year. :)

It is NOT mandatory. I just popped in my 6800GT from a years worth of ATI Catalyst Beta drivers and have had no problems. :rolleyes:

Banko
07-03-04, 11:08 PM
Formatting would be nice to see if it solves the problems. I just removed my card and installed this w/o formatting and everything was fine, but it could be different on his system.

jp5612
07-03-04, 11:08 PM

I just got the Koolance 180-L06 waterblock for the card -- it's the same one BFG uses for the Ultra water block model. It comes with aluminum heatsinks for the RAM. At 400/1050, I am at 48 or so idle and mid to high 50s after intensive game play.

PaiN
07-03-04, 11:17 PM
I used Driver Cleaner3 to remove the ATI stuff and I believe, the ForceWare drivers went in very clean. I'll format if all else fails and I'm a long way from RMAing ;)
I'm working on a few things as we speak....I'll keep you posted.
and the advice is much appriciated :)

ChrisRay
07-03-04, 11:20 PM
Formatting isnt always neccasary, I switch GPUS all the time. between ATI and Nvidia and have no troubles.

However Formatting does make sure your system clean and removes irregularities that might be on your system that you cant track down.

Headbust
07-03-04, 11:33 PM
use driver cleaner in safe mode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then reboot and run it again just incase, but befor rebooting unplug your internet cord if your on dsl/cable.

Ruined
07-03-04, 11:34 PM
ATI stuff

oh no teh evil ati driv0rz have infected your 6800! ;)

gpr123
07-04-04, 12:06 AM
I previously had an xt9800, used driver cleaner 3 and have been running solid for about 2 weeks now. farcry and ut2004 running flawless. Currently using 6171 drivers and have used the 6134 driver set as well. Running a pny 6800u. Hope the fresh install does the trick for you.

Ruined
07-04-04, 01:13 AM
BTW based on others experiences I;d wait on dx9.0c until we get an Nvidia driver set that officially supports it.

PaiN
07-04-04, 06:18 AM
I'm going to format and do a fresh XPPro install this morning, well see how it goes ....now where's the COFFEE!!!

kahloq
07-04-04, 08:00 AM
Its brewing Gevalia baby yeah!!!!!!!!!!