PDA

View Full Version : xfx a good company

Pages : [1] 2 3

randsom
07-03-04, 11:25 PM
well, depending on what bestbuy does in the next few days i could be in the market for another gt.

i found a place that has the xfx 6800 gt instock and ready to ship, all i know about them is they are a part of pine tech.

whats your guys take on them.

kahloq
07-03-04, 11:27 PM
xfx is a known brand. Its pretty good and from what Ive heard, reliable. i would definetly recommend XFX over Chaintech, leadtek, visiontek, and even PNY.

Blacklash
07-03-04, 11:57 PM
I have never owned a XFX product. Opinions I have personally heard are mixed.

If I were buying a GT at full market price, aka 399. I would get an Evga if I wanted to be able to 'step up' to another better version if it is released. The program has a three month window from purchase. So in theory you could go to an Ultra extreme if that is what you wished.

If I were looking for a card with a good life time warranty I would go BFG.

Best Buy has an exchange that functions on the level of 30days. So you could always buy the card and if not satisfied trade it in for something else. If you really want your GT now, give it a whirl.

PaiN
07-04-04, 12:01 AM
..I can't speak for the card...but they have the BEST box in the business :lol:

Amuro
07-04-04, 12:08 AM
Check out this XFX 6800U review:
http://www.hwhell.com/articles/xfx_geforce_6800_ultra/

Looks like it's not bad at all.

burningrave101
07-04-04, 12:13 AM
XFX is one of the BEST nVidia has. I prefer XFX and Gigabyte usually over the rest. XFX's cards have sort of a hardcore gamer theme to them and XFX is known for extreme overclocks. The XFX 5900XT was the fastest 5900XT out there because XFX decided to include faster RAM modules which ran 800Mhz instead of the 700Mhz the rest ran at.

BTW, i just ordered the XFX 6800GT 256MB from GameVE last night.

ragejg
07-04-04, 12:22 AM
I had an XFX 5600U 400/800.... real solid card, good build quality. I recommend XFX just as readily as BFG and Albatron...

Helanic Frost
07-04-04, 02:38 AM
In my opinion i think XFX sucks. I've owned 3 motherbaords from them and 1 of their video cards. They have the WORST service and support in the industry. Saunter on over to their website and visit their forums and you will see many complaints with almost no solutions to them. Call their tech support number or customer service. Neither is toll free and if you do manage to get an answer it will be a machine that gives you 3 secs to leave a message. Now 3 secs isn't even enough time to leave your phone number let alone anything else.

XFX = Pine's alter ego brand name. Pine is well known to be crap so they invented the XFX moniker to fool people into buying their products.

Btw i'd buy from chaintech before i'd buy from XFX. At least at chaintech you can get service and support for your purchase.

XFX products are you get what you see. No frills no thrills, very basic. Service and support is non existant and they almost never update any special software or drivers, or bios for their products.

Go with well known producers and you'll be far better off. Gainward, BFG, Leadtek, EVGA, MSI are all great companies and when it comes to video cards or motherboards i'd stay well clear of XFX.

combat_wombat
07-04-04, 02:41 AM
XFX use to be known as Pine Technology, and they were crap

Helanic Frost
07-04-04, 02:41 AM
xfx is a known brand. Its pretty good and from what Ive heard, reliable. i would definetly recommend XFX over Chaintech, leadtek, visiontek, and even PNY.

Good luck with any RMAs with XFX, if you are even lucky enough to get to talk to a human being. You'll get 3 whole secs to leave a message if you have to call them for anything.

Btw i'd place all of those named companies over XFX anyday of the week. It doesn't get any worse than XFX.

burningrave101
07-04-04, 03:14 AM
Good luck with any RMAs with XFX, if you are even lucky enough to get to talk to a human being. You'll get 3 whole secs to leave a message if you have to call them for anything.

Btw i'd place all of those named companies over XFX anyday of the week. It doesn't get any worse than XFX.

There is an Online RMA Request form. You dont have to call them.

And alot of people like XFX. Myself included.

XFX products are you get what you see. No frills no thrills, very basic.

Care to elaborate a little? Like you said, you've only had ONE XFX video card. The XFX boards usually come with as much stuff as the rest. They are usually among the top overclocking boards. The XFX boards are produced with the Gamer/Overclocker in mind. They usually go out of their way to have some of the highest performance boards.

Which XFX card did you have?

And why would you buy 3 XFX motherboards? Why would you even buy ONE?

Helanic Frost
07-04-04, 03:23 AM
There is an Online RMA Request form. You dont have to call them.

And alot of people like XFX, myself included.

Care to elaborate a little? Like you said you've only had ONE XFX video card. The XFX boards usually come with as much stuff as the rest. They are usually among the top overclocking boards.

And why would you buy 3 XFX motherboards? Why would you even buy ONE?

Link to the RMA section of the site? I've been there, never seen it.

Overclock XFX motherboards? Are you aware XFX boards do not have anyway to overclock except to increase the FSB? Show me one motherboard review of a great overclocking XFX motherboard. XFX has been around for about 2 years. In that 2 years they have far more people that dislike them than like them. I've owned several of their products and i wouldn't buy another. I'm still kicking myself for not buying an Abit motherboard when i bought this XFX one. They were all bought within 6 months. One for my pc, my son's and my daughter's along with the ti 4200 from XFX, and the fan died on that card this morning, card was bought one year ago exactly.

I ain't alone in my feelings either, read their own forums, you won't see alot of happiness and joy there. You'd trust RMA'ing a $500 card with a company you can't even get a human being on the phone with?:screwy: You may never get it back, it happens all the time.

Oh and i don't buy cards cause they can be flashed to something else. I bought a real 5900NU and it's alot better than an XT that maybe or might flash to a 5950. So you bought a card cause it might flash to a 5950? And you feel XFX is good because of that? :screwy:

Good companies are good because they have good customer service, support, and products that are good out of the box without modding it.

vläd
07-04-04, 03:27 AM
..I can't speak for the card...but they have the BEST box in the business :lol:

Another marketing victim.
Unfortunately, I agree with you! XFX does have a very recognizable box, but sometimes you need to ask yourself, how much am I paying for the pagkaging, advertisements, and bundled games that I'll never play.

burningrave101
07-04-04, 03:31 AM
Link to the RMA section of the site? I've been there, never seen it.

Overclock XFX motherboards? Are you aware XFX boards do not have anyway to overclock except to increase the FSB? Show me one motherboard review of a great overclocking XFX motherboard. XFX has been around for about 2 years. In that 2 years they have far more people that dislike them than like them. I've owned several of their products and i wouldn't buy another. I'm still kicking myself for not buying an Abit motherboard when i bought this XFX one. They were all bought within 6 months. One for my pc, my son's and my daughter's along with the ti 4200 from XFX.

I ain't alone in my feelings either, read their own forums, you won't see alot of happiness and joy there. You'd trust RMA'ing a $500 card with a company you can't even get a human being on the phone with? You may never get it back, it happens all the time.

http://www.xfxforce.com/rma.php

I wasn't talking about their motherboards. I was talking about their video cards.

And where is the link to their forums?

Helanic Frost
07-04-04, 03:34 AM
http://www.xfxforce.com/rma.php

I wasn't talking about their motherboards. I was talking about their video cards.

And where is the link to their forums?

Main web site.

Curious, you are a devoted XFX owner and never visited their main web site? I mean that's where their forums are. Seems odd you didn't know that.

ronss
07-04-04, 03:44 AM
don,t know anything about xfx, but leadtek it one of the tops in my book. i have 2 of their cards-geforce 3 and geforce 4-ti4400. never had a problem and they over-clock well. they come with nice software, win-fox , their over-clocking software.

burningrave101
07-04-04, 03:47 AM
Nevermind, i found the forums. I went through the sign up form before but i thought it was just some newsletter thing at first and didn't bother finishing the form.

I would of rather had the Gigabyte 6800GT over the XFX but i dont see it in stock anywhere yet.

Lfctony
07-04-04, 04:09 AM
I had an XFX GF4 Ti4200, worked like a charm. Great cooling solution, o/ced to 300/580 from 250/445.

Helanic Frost
07-04-04, 04:20 AM
I had an XFX GF4 Ti4200, worked like a charm. Great cooling solution, o/ced to 300/580 from 250/445.

There are satisfied customers with even the worst of companies. XFX has a larger than acceptable number of unsatisfied ones.

kev13dd
07-04-04, 04:34 AM
don,t know anything about xfx, but leadtek it one of the tops in my book. i have 2 of their cards-geforce 3 and geforce 4-ti4400. never had a problem and they over-clock well. they come with nice software, win-fox , their over-clocking software.

Leadtek is having issues with their 6 series cards right now, they would be a brand I stear away from currently

XFX is just another company. When I bought my 5900SE, I bought it from EVGA. I had never heard of EVGA, and the card I got was very nice quality, and EVGA turned out to be great. XFX is just another card company. If all their cards were crud and had to be RMAed, they wouldn't be in busines. Their cards are probably decent performing and does pretty much as good as all the others

One of the things that makes EVGA great in my book is their customer service, which I totally now apperciate. When I had a problem with my wireless router, I e-mailed D-Link and the responce I got was "Here is the link to our support part of our website. Do not e-mail again about this issue" Common, I had to go to the support part of their website already to get their e-mail address. Customer service like this really takes away from the router, no matter how good it is. This is the same with video cards. It's important to get one that has great customer service, cause lets face it. Things happen. If you have to wait to buy a card with better customer serivce, do it. Cause the wait you might have to have with customer service with XFX, might be a lot longer than you wait to get a card from another company

I said EVGA a bunch in here, but that's just cause they are the only real life experience I've had. I'm not trying to say you should get an EVGA card, although they are a great brand in my book. They RMAed some guy's card who bought it on E-bay. Any company that would do that, definatly gets a gold star in my book. A+ for customer service on their end, and a solid A on their cards too

K

Slyder
07-04-04, 06:19 AM
My old GeForce 2 was by Inno3D and that still works :) My latest card is by MSI (FX5700)

I recommend both brands, but not sure if they produce the card your looking for. :)

zer0xp
07-04-04, 06:56 AM
I have owned 2 XFX cards. a 5600NU and a 5700NU. So far, the boxes have been nice looking :P, the bundles were okay (tons of old games) and I have had no problems with either card. However, i will tell you that when i purchased the 5600, i thought it was a 5600U because of the product sticker on the card, and hte box. They were both labeled 5600 Ultra with the ultra part number. The box was the 5600NU box. I asked XFX about this (at their forum) and they told me that there was a labeling issue and they told the retailers about it. Either way, i got the card at the right price.
The 5600 was a very nice card indeed, lots of flashy stuff on it; ramsinks, nice silver heatsink. The 5700 came with a nice silver heatsink, the same one that can be found on the 5900XT. The 5700 overl****s great, like most other 5700NUs. I forgot how the 5600 overclocked because i never really played around with overclocking it. Again, one of the most important points: i never had any problems with my 2 XFX cards. They have been very good to me, and are each running in my spare PCs as i type this.

So, to sum up my experiences:
1) Nice box
2) Nice flashy cards
3) Quality Cards
4) Decent bundles
5) No problems so far
6) Weird customer support
7) Labeling problem
The cards are made well, but the customer support needs some help.

Carbon Unit
07-04-04, 07:52 AM
I dont know anything about XFX, I only buy Albatron NV cards

randsom
07-04-04, 09:56 AM
wow, a xfx war.

anyways, its down to the evga gt, the B.F.G gt and the xfx, this is all worst case senario incase bb jerks me around on my gt preorder from them.

burningrave101
07-04-04, 10:43 AM
I sent them an e-mail at their site. I dunno if i'll ever get a response back though. On the forum the admin was talking about them just upgradeing their tech support e-mail because it wasn't working properly before. Who knows. If i see a hot deal in the next day or two before my XFX GT ships i'll cancel my order at GameVE.

I'm a strong supporter of XFX's video cards because i think they are some of the highest performance cards from nVidia. They seem to overclock really well. And i just ordered an XFX 6800GT from GameEve.

The thing is though, while browseing your guys forum here on the site i noticed ALOT of complaints from people and they were talking about your very poor customer service. Most of the threads in the forum didn't even get replys to their issues. They said they tried to call tech support and couldn't get ahold of anyone. They said you have like 3 sec. to say what you need and its not even a Toll Free number like the other board makers have.

I'm a bit worried about my purchase now. I'm thinking about canceling it and going with Gigabyte maybe. What do you guys have to say about your tech support? Are you going to try and upgrade it soon and maybe get a Toll Free number people can actually like to a live human at? There are alot of people with issues on your forum that i think should be rectified if you intend to have good customer relations.

Here is a thread discussing your XFX cards.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31242&page=2

Thank you for your time.

I've heard alot of good things about XFX though and they seem to have the best overclocking boards.

I believe all the nVidia cards are reference design and produced by nVidia aren't they? I know i heard a BFG rep at HardOCP talking about it. I dont think the 3rd party vendors are actually making the 6800's right now. I think their just slapping the stickers on the fans and buddling it with their junk.