View Full Version : Dual-Core CPUs, will you upgrade?

07-04-04, 07:03 PM
hello everyone, with the tejas cancellation and the new Dual-core CPUs recently
announced , when the Dual-CPUs come out next year (if they do) will you make the upgrade? Do you think it really is neccesary? or will you stick with you're current p4/AMD---- and yea, basically the LGA775 is useless since tejas is now cancelled :) so if you were planning on getting one.Forget about it.. owned:

07-04-04, 07:07 PM
I'm going to upgrade to an Intel dual core with EM64T and hopefully Hyper Threading on both physical cores in 2005 some time. Intel should have out their dual core solution before AMD because they canceled the Teja's and throwing all their work into their dual core scheme based on Pentium M technology. Their going to be hella fast :).

07-04-04, 07:14 PM
I would upgrade when they come out but I think I would have to upgrade my motherboard.

07-04-04, 09:40 PM
I'm going to wait until they make an appearance before judging them, and only upgrade if my system isn't good enough for my current needs any more.

Is anyone here going to buy a condo on the Moon when we have colonies there, btw? ;)

07-04-04, 11:48 PM
I plan on waiting until longhorn is out before upgrading.... assuming it isn't delayed any further.

07-05-04, 08:09 AM
Only when they are affordable, to me. No point buying one when an equivalent dual-proc system is cheaper.

I think I read somewhere that for the initial Dualies each CPU is actually going to be slower than the single-proc CPUs that will be available at the time.

07-05-04, 09:35 AM
I'm expecting late 2006 for myself..

2005 will be the year of Nforce4 and SLI videocards! :D 2004 will be the year of 6800U and later on, S939 A64 and nforce 3 250. That's for me anyway.. the 2005 may be a bit of dreaming on my part, but as for 2004, well the 6800U should be here next week :p

07-06-04, 04:54 AM
im going to upgrade to something mid to late 2005, going to wait for pci express mobo's and whatever mem AMD will be using at the time. will get .90 micron athlon 64 when the dual core cpu's are out(dont know if it'll be san diego or not) - i like to buy my cpu's a few steps down from top end. then o/c those suckers

edit. dual cores might be a couple of upgrades away for me.

Darth Flatus
07-07-04, 01:47 PM
I'm going to upgrade immediately when I can build a dual-core system with a next gen video card (nv50 or r500, whatevers better) :)