PDA

View Full Version : Help.. BFG 6800GT

GravY
07-04-04, 11:23 PM
Im tired from trying to figure this out, so if you have any ideas please post them, I'll check them out tomorrow..

Got the card and it ran fine when I installed on my existing OS.. did a re-install cause it was time and I wondered if it would run any better under a fresh setup.. so I did so.. things ran fine but noticed in COH that there was a pause every few seconds, really just a slow down then back up to speed..

Because I thought something might not have installed right I did another however this time I was getting lock ups on while at my desktop, would freeze for 5-10sec then go then freeze up again leading to a complete freeze up..

I have narrowed it down to when I install the Video card drivers.. I was using 61.71's with SP2 so I cut out the SP2 and just installed 9.0c's.. same thing happened.. then I backed out of that and installed 9.0b's same thing.. I've tried different vid drivers as well with the same results..

Im beginning to think my card is going on the blink.. might have to call BFG to get a replacement.. sucky..

well any ideas please let me know.. tnx!

GravY

rewt
07-04-04, 11:29 PM
Im tired from trying to figure this out, so if you have any ideas please post them, I'll check them out tomorrow..

Got the card and it ran fine when I installed on my existing OS..

Well that pretty much eliminated hardware problems unless some component gave out recently. Which OS/driver/directx version were you using before?

After you reinstalled your OS, did you install your chipset drivers?

Lfctony
07-05-04, 12:49 AM
Did you try a clean installation w/o DX9c? It has been giving certain users a lot of grief. Personally I won't touch DX9c unless its released normally from MS.

GravY
07-05-04, 08:36 AM
well I was on a clean install with Dx9.0c I put in a restore point before installing it, so I reverted back and tried 9.0b..

previously I was running on an established system, had a 9800pro installed previously wiht sp1.. uninstalled the 9800pro and popped in the 6800gt with no problems.. I then installed the drivers that came with the CD.. after reading about the 61.71's I then installed SP2 and installed those..

Order of install

XP
SP2
Nvidia Unified NF2 drivers
IDE update
Vid drivers - problem starts right after this install..

doing this all @ stock CPU speeds as well.

GravY
07-05-04, 09:23 AM
well i've come to the conclusion my card is borked.. :( I just tried the card in another system Im building for a friend, ended up with the same results..

calling BFG in a few to see what they say..

randsom
07-05-04, 09:27 AM
well i've come to the conclusion my card is borked.. :( I just tried the card in another system Im building for a friend, ended up with the same results..

calling BFG in a few to see what they say..

i know youd probably not choose to do this but.

bfg puts artic silver on the cores, did you remove the heatsink and check to make sure the hsf is making contact with the gpu, and theres enough/not enough/too much artic silver on the core, because this sound like a heat issue.

Nandro
07-05-04, 09:33 AM
I was having the same issue. It would pause up even benching 3dmark01. I have the 61.80's installed and havent noticed it since. It may just not have happened yet. However I may be in the same boat as you.

PaiN
07-05-04, 09:49 AM
It stinks as another long time ATI user too come over to nVidia and run to into issues, especially after a having a soild \ stable set-up.....
But, when I think back the Radeon's have had their share of issues and bumps in the raod :rolleyes:
My take on the 6800s is they are fantastic pieces of hardware, which will be doing some great things in the new generation of games. Let's not forget we don't have "official" drivers to run on very new hardware. I'm going to hang in because I know good things are coming.

Ruined
07-05-04, 09:51 AM
If you aren't using the drivers that came on the CD with your card and Directx 9.0b, you are using beta software and may have problems - because the drivers on the CD and dx9.0b are the only ones that have been approved to run with your card at this point. (This may change in the next couple of days)

Also, if you are upgrading from an ATI card you will likely have problems due to the driver crap ATI leaves behind.

Lastly, if your card gives you artifacts no matter what you install, odds are it is broken and you should RMA it :)

GravY
07-05-04, 09:55 AM
Im in no way unhappy with the 6800GT it rocks..

No I havent taken off the Heat sink to check.. temps were fine previously so I don't think that was the problem..

as for drivers I tried the driver that came on the CD up to the 61.71's, from NForce2 3.13s to current, from DC9.0b to 9.0c w/sp2 and stand alone.. no SP to SP1 and SP2.. and every combination inbetween..

Tested it in another rig and found same results..

at this point once drivers are installed and rebooted windows loads painfully slow, it will lock for 5sec then blink load a bit then lock again..

Got off the phone with BFG I'll be sending the card back today, once they receive it they will test and within 2days get me a replacement..

thanks for your input guys.. until my 6800 comes back, 9800pro goes back in, just won't be the same.. :(