07-05-04, 12:20 AM
http://www.firingsquad.com/features/crytek_far_cry/

ChrisRay
07-05-04, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

ChrisRay
07-05-04, 12:32 AM
Some interesting quotes.

Cevat Yerli: Yes definitely. It’s going to be officially supported in 1.3. Which will be coming out hopefully soon. [laughs] The reason why it’s not enabled now is because there are quality issues we have to check, we have to go back and look at it because it's a content-specific application. The technology works but it requires the content to be adapted to it, otherwise you have overexposure, you have too many objects on the screen glowing and things like that. And while that looks cool on screenshots, when you’re playing that’s not as cool. So we need to tweak it and make sure it matches the content.

FiringSquad: So that’s what you guys are playing with right now, just tweaking it until it looks just right?

Cevat Yerli: Yes but we couldn’t do it in such a short amount of time, so we plan to launch it in the next patch. What will be part of patch 1.2 will be the performance gains.

FiringSquad: So basically your requirement for HDR is FP32?

Cevat Yerli: Yes FP32 blending.

FiringSquad: Are there any plans to incorporate 3Dc into Far Cry?

Cevat Yerli: In fact yes. In the next patch, 1.3.

FiringSquad: In addition to SM 3.0, Far Cry will also be patched to take advantage of AMD’s 64-bit architecture in the future – what changes are you implementing in the 64-bit version of Far Cry?

Cevat Yerli: We’ve done it mainly for content development creators and mod creators, there will be huge benefits from it. For the gameplay it will be more beneficial to the environment, you will have some specific content for 64-bit. There will be a 64-bit version of Far Cry, a separate one eventually. That will be essentially content-wise slightly improved over the 32-bit version but it’s not something which, I mean people with the 32-bit version can still compare to the 64-bit version, but it’s optimized for the 64-bit experience. And the user of course will benefit from the 64-bit CPU architecture, which is more registers, better memory controller, but also more addressable memory.

FiringSquad: Will it look any better, or are you just going to use 64-bit to enhance performance?

Cevat Yerli: Well you will have a better experience, not necessarily “the look”; well you will have more environmental objects. If you consider that a better “look”, then yes, but the experience will be better because more things will be happening on screen.

FiringSquad: How many 2.0 instructions are you using in Far Cry today with the 1.2 patch? How many 3.0? When do you think games will begin to hit 3.0’s current maximums?

Cevat Yerli: 2.0 maximum or 3.0 maxium?

FiringSquad: 3.0 maximum.

Cevat Yerli: I think we’re far away from that, but we’re actually hitting the 2.0 maximums now. For 3.0 we don’t really use the amount of instructions really. Our instructions are 96 instructions tops right now.

FiringSquad: Oh really, you’re at 96 instructions with 2.0 now?

Cevat Yerli: Yes, and we’re not using more because we don’t need more. If you look at the image quality you can achieve with 2.0 – with 2.0 you can achieve pretty much any quality you want for right now. And the key benefit between 3.0 and 2.0 is performance really and so we’re using 3.0 for performance gains, not an image quality gain. The image quality you can achieve with 2.0 is good for now so there won’t be any real technology differences other than the performance difference.

pat777
07-05-04, 12:37 AM
FiringSquad: So basically your requirement for HDR is FP32?

Cevat Yerli: Yes FP32 blending.
That is insane. I wonder how much improvement it'll offer over FP16 blending in terms of IQ. I had no idea the 6800U was capable of such HDR.

AthlonXP1800
07-05-04, 12:53 AM
Well pity FS never asked Crytek the question will Virtual Displacement be available in patch 1.3?

anzak
07-05-04, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the link 991060.

This is a little off topic but has anyone heard of other games which will use the CryEngine?

jAkUp
07-05-04, 01:10 AM
Nice interview... I'm looking forward to the 1.3 patch tommorrow

ChrisRay
07-05-04, 01:19 AM
Nice interview... I'm looking forward to the 1.3 patch tommorrow

1.2 patch.. 1.3 is far away still..

anzak
07-05-04, 01:20 AM
The patch is suppose to be released monday right?

ChrisRay
07-05-04, 01:23 AM
I believe so anzak,

MUYA
07-05-04, 01:32 AM
monday in HKG :D well in euroland too,

jAkUp
07-05-04, 01:35 AM
whoops i meant 1.2 patch tommorrow :)

ChrisRay
07-05-04, 01:37 AM
whoops i meant 1.2 patch tommorrow :)

thats ok jakup. I'll just punish you. :spank: :spank:

jAkUp
07-05-04, 01:38 AM
I'll just punish you. :spank: :spank:

w00t w00t!! :D

SH64
07-05-04, 01:39 AM
Dang ! HDR & 3Dc at once !! :eek:

patch 1.3 gonna rock ! :nana:

& will erase the idea of the conspiracy between CryTek & Nvidia ;)

jAkUp
07-05-04, 01:54 AM
Here is the link to the article with pictures:
http://www.firingsquad.com/features/crytek_far_cry/

sonyman
07-05-04, 02:03 AM
Now we must wait until the patch is posted...

Scott

Nv40
07-05-04, 02:07 AM
i notice that there are some comfusion.. about Sm2.0 vs Sm3.0 diferences.. with the latest Cytek interview.. it usually happens because the interviewers doesnt ask the right questions or the developer assumes the interviewers understand what are they thinking or say ,so no need to explain with details ..this is from Malficar at B3d.

Malficar..
I keep getting conflicting answers on a question of mine I would like answered. This is purely from a gamer/user perspective, NOT a coder or developer. I am not interested in things happening on the driver level.

So here's the question. Is there any visible effect in a game that SM 3.0 can produce that SM 2.0 can not with alittle more work? So if I do go with the X800XT over the 6800GT will I be missing 'neat effects', as some have put it.

Thanks in advance.

WHat Crytek was saying about SM3.0 to be only performance and of SM2.0 shaders maximun to be enough to get the same image quality as Sm3.0 was in the content of ->{Farcry game.} its hittings the limits of shader 2.0 model of 96 intructions already which is enough for the game . in Facry is pretty much clear that SM3.0 use will be only for performance improvements..

in the other hand ..HDR[FP16/32blending] is not part of SM3.0.. which also will be added to the game and only available in NV40.

found weird that there is no mention of virtual displacement mapping demostrated in Farcry at E3..(which is not a Dx9 feature ) and realtime Dynamic softshadows which can be done in 1 pass ,with Sm3.0.

they have already told that their next game will use the full potential of SM3.0 , and they provided a nice list of the new things possible in sm3.0.

in theory Sm3.0 can do unlimited psixel shaders intructions effects ,which obviously Sm2.0 can't do since its limited to programs with 96 intructions. and very long intructions programs allows advanced effects that were not possible before.. however for realtime games performance will be a limitation .

this what told by Crytek when asked not about FArcry ,but about Shadermodel3.0 in general.

GD: A lot of attention has been paid to NVIDIA's support of Pixel Shader 3.0 - can you specifically think of anything PS 3.0 can be used for that can't be done in PS 2.0?

Andrey Khonich – Crytek, Makers of Far Cry
In VS3.0 Shader model actually is possible to support general displacement mapping (with smart Shader design when vertex Shader has to do something during waiting for texture access).

In PS3.0 shaders it’s possible to decrease number of shaders using dynamic branching (one Shader for general lighting) and in such way decrease number of Shader switches and as result increase speed, and also we can utilize dynamic conditional early reject for some cases in both PS and VS and this also will increase speed. As to NV40 generally possible to use co-issues better to take advantage of super-scalar architecture (we can execute 4 instructions per cycle in a single pipeline).

- Handle several light sources in single pixel shaders by using dynamic loops in PS3.0.

- Decrease number of passes for 2-sided lighting using additional face register in PS3.0.

- Use geometry instancing to decrease number of draw-calls (remove CPU limitations as much as possible).

- Unrestricted dependent texture read capabilities to produce more advanced post-processing effects and other in-game complex particles/surfaces effects (like water).

- Full swizzle support in PS3.0 to make better instructions co-issue and as result speedup performance.

- Increase quality of lighting calculations using 32 bit precision in pixel shaders on NV40.

- Take advantage of using 10 texture interpolators in PS3.0 Shader model to reduce number of passes in some cases.

- Easily do multiple pass high-dynamic-range rendering on FP16 targets.

- Speed up post-processing a lot by using MRT capabilities and mip-mapping support on non-power-of-two textures.

07-05-04, 02:11 AM
SM3.0 is definitely possible to provide better IQ than SM2.0, the only question is that if developers have enough resources on content creation, shader design, etc.

pat777
07-05-04, 02:19 AM
Strange, nVIDIA's GPU programming guide said the 6800U doesn't have FP32 blending.

Nv40
07-05-04, 02:28 AM
Strange, nVIDIA's GPU programming guide said the 6800U doesn't have FP32 blending.

i think it has it.. ;)

Crytek already told it ,maybe its because Nvidia doesnt allows to everyone to use it ,unless developers really need it. Fp16blending will be good enough for most situations. or probably it was there all the time in the hardware ,but not enable in early Nv drivers. but i have no doubts that Crytek knew what they were saying.. since they told it 2 times.. in 2 diferents sentences.. and corrected the interviewer that it was not Fp32 pixel shader precision like Nv3X.. but that he was talking about Fp32 blending.

pat777
07-05-04, 03:32 AM
i think it has it.. ;)

Crytek already told it ,maybe its because Nvidia doesnt allows to everyone to use it ,unless developers really need it. Fp16blending will be good enough for most situations. or probably it was there all the time in the hardware ,but not enable in early Nv drivers. but i have no doubts that Crytek knew what they were saying.. since they told it 2 times.. in 2 diferents sentences.. and corrected the interviewer that it was not Fp32 pixel shader precision like Nv3X.. but that he was talking about Fp32 blending.
Did you read what Chalnoth said he could do with FP32 blending? It pretty scary how NV40 can do FP32 blending and still keep performance. I still want to wait for patch 1.3 to be sure.

slainfoe
07-05-04, 06:32 AM
so pissed i bought intel ....

skulls_skulls
07-05-04, 07:32 AM
gogogo amd64 version :drooling:

harl
07-05-04, 07:56 AM
what card will suport HDR fp32?

I know that 6800 can do fp16 blending.
I heard (or read) somewere that HL2
will use HDR with 16 integer with the "olds" radeons (9800)
what type of HDR the 9800 and x800 can do?