PDA

View Full Version : nForce Audio SPDIF question.

wilbohr
07-05-04, 10:11 AM
Hey all this is my first post.

I have a question. When I was using the old 3.13's I could literally shut off channels of sound I have my headphones hooked into the front audio port and my surround sound system into the SPDIF channel. On the old drivers I could shut off my wav channel and just have surround sound or vice versa. With the new 4.31's it treats it all as wav. So my question is this was that a bug in 3.13 or is it a bug now? I hate not having that capability.

wilbohr
07-07-04, 03:29 PM
*BUMP* Any ideas?

Nutty
07-07-04, 03:38 PM
Which is the spdif ? Is that the proper name for optical connection ?

|JuiceZ|
07-07-04, 04:30 PM
wilbohr we need a bit more info on yer setup. So I take it you're using onboard soundstorm on a nf2 mb? What do you mean by just shut off your "wave channel"?

Which is the spdif ? Is that the proper name for optical connection ?

Yes it is.

Nutty
07-07-04, 04:56 PM
Weird. I've been told several times that spdif is not optical. :screwy:

wilbohr
07-07-04, 10:16 PM
Ok I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. I am using the onboard sound storm. I don't know if you have the 4.31's installed or not but I'll describe how it worked for me in 3.X series using the 4.31 interface.

I have my headphones (with mic) hooked up to the mic port and the green front wave port. I also have my Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 system hooked up to my SPDIF port.

Now looking at the nvMixer interface there are 3 sections on the top of the interface.

1 - Main
2 - Output
3 - Input

In the (1) Main section I can control the audio volume, bass, mid level and treble for all sound output options. This works as I remember from 3.X.

In (2) Output I have 7 channels

1 - Wave
2 - Synth
3 - CD
4 - Line
5 - Aux
6 - Mic
7 - SPDIF

The two channels I deal with are the wav channel (1) and the SPDIF (7) channel. In the previous version, 3.X, I was able to control these 2 channels separately. If I decreased the volume for wav(1) my headphones volume would decrease. Also If I increased the volume for SPDIF (7) my volume for the 5.1 system would increase. So in 3.X each channel controlled the port associated with it. Also the reason I loved this was if I muted the wav channel I could shutdown the headphones sound with the click of a button.

Now we jump forward to 4.31's. If I decrease the volume on wav(1) my volume on headphones and surround system both decrease. Also changing the SPDIF volume has no effect on my surround sound system.

I will note NONE of my wires have been changed my setup remains the same the only new element is that I am running the 4.31's instead of the 3.X series.

Hope this helps.

wilbohr
07-09-04, 02:35 PM
*BUMP* Anyone? Am I the only one? Can someone post if they have this working?

|JuiceZ|
07-09-04, 03:40 PM
That doesn't make sense cause the 4.31's worked just fine on my old NF7-s + z680's. Are your Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 only connected via SPDIF or analog as well? That really should matter though since the soundstorm can split channels through SPDIF for normal wav playback. It definitely sounds like a drv problem, I'd recommend browsing the forums over @ Nforcers HQ (http://www.nforcershq.com) & see if someone has experienced similiar probs. Also if I recall, there's a couple newer vers of the nforce chipset drivers running around that could possibly correct your problem.

wilbohr
07-09-04, 04:46 PM
The Cambridge's are SPDIF only. I'll try the site you recommended. Thanks.

Nutty
07-09-04, 04:52 PM
Newer drivers JuiceZ ? Where be they ?

Woodelf
07-10-04, 10:07 PM
Weird. I've been told several times that spdif is not optical. :screwy:
spdif can be both optical (toslink), RCA (75 OHM), and use (jumper style) pins like the one on the sides of some sound cards (for cd digital sound). The optical can also be converted to to coax (RCA 75 ohm) and vice versa, with a $15.00 adapter from radioshack. :)

|JuiceZ|
07-10-04, 11:53 PM
Newer drivers JuiceZ ? Where be they ?

Haven't updated in a while but check some posts here (http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=901d6aefd7a699cfe364c940dff4ccb7).