PDA

View Full Version : Unreal 2 worth Playing?

Pages : [1] 2

ChrisRay
07-05-04, 02:14 PM
I remember when it first came out and I heard reports that it killed 5800s and 9700 Pros @ 4xAA/16x AF,

But I never played the game. I'm, finished with Far Cry and dont feel like playing MP 2 right now. I have a copy of this game lyen around, And wanting some eye candy to hold me over with my 6800NU.

Is it worth playing?

ragejg
07-05-04, 02:24 PM
Though it's cheesy, YES. Though the ending is poopy, YES.

... Play through it and then tackle SP in Halo...

Arioch
07-05-04, 02:30 PM
The game isn't as bad as some people make it out to be it's just that it didn't live up to the Unreal sequel hype. It is a good looking game and your card should be able to run it pretty good.

Riptide
07-05-04, 03:09 PM
I agree w/Arioch. I'll also say that the cutscenes look pretty spiffy as well in this one.

ragejg
07-05-04, 03:47 PM
One thing I don't like about the cutscenes are the hard ends to some of the pans... if you're trying to do a cutscene you want real-ish camera usage... and a pan/zoom should really end by slowing down first at least not just *BOOM* stopped... I don't know why but that got to me in a way... :p

John the Canuck
07-05-04, 04:00 PM
It's an alright game. The only thing that disappointed me was the lenght of it. I bought it when it first came out and paid full price which was 69.99 Canadian. It can be beat in about 10 hours. The graphics are pretty good and some of the stages are cool. The first was probably the best out of the whole game.

Edge
07-05-04, 04:08 PM
It's alright, but nothing special. The best part of it is the multiplayer mode, which was released as a free downloadable addon for it late last year. Donno why people would complain about performance though, it runs pretty well on my TI4200 with 2xAA/lvl8 Aniso. It's quite pretty, but the single-player game is quite shallow (not to mention there's a lot of "throw away" guns, they probably could've cut the number of weapons in half and noone would've noticed).

adv1
07-05-04, 04:24 PM
I bought it recently and thought it was pretty good, it kept me playing to the end and it had some great moments like the base defence levels.
I agree they should have reduced the number of weapons, it got very annoying trying to switch through to a decent weapon (like the cool shotgun) in the middle of a firefight.

It's also far too short, whereas the first Unreal was perhaps a bit too long. And it doesn't quite have the same atmosphere as Unreal, but anyway it is entertaining while it lasts, so it's worth playing.

Sazar
07-05-04, 04:35 PM
game is not bad and some of the AI is pretty sweet :)

full eye-candy on should be decent...

with my 1900+ and this card I could play it @ 16x12 with a coupla effects off... haven't played it since though :(

I think with AA and AF it should look pretty damn nice :D

a coupla levels have lots of water and shiny objects :) looks nice (till you play far cry)

-edit- forgot the mention...

the story is a weak-one which is the main draw-back but its not a BAD story-line... when you play through it you will know what I mean :D

you may also see parallels with other games/movies you have seen which is what I felt like when playing through the game...

ragejg
07-05-04, 04:38 PM
The latest nvnews 5900XT review includes a thoroughly tested benchmark of the elevator confrontation to give NV owners a good idea of the game's performance at the present moment... (err, with 56.72's tho)... :p

Gogeta
07-05-04, 04:44 PM
well, the ending is kinda lame since it turns out you are realy an alien and all along were helping the wrong side. but its fun overall.

Edge
07-05-04, 05:13 PM
well, the ending is kinda lame since it turns out you are realy an alien and all along were helping the wrong side. but its fun overall.

Lol, I WISH, that might've actually been interesting and witty, unlike the ending they DID have in the game...

ChrisRay
07-05-04, 05:46 PM
Well I'm averaging 60-70 FPS @ 1024x768 with 4x AA/16xAF Quality in the game. Sometimes it drops down into the 40's. I never played it on my 5900 card so cant make any comparisons. But I'd have to say thats pretty satisfying all things considering.

I'm enjoying it, Though for some reason it gives me a headache to play after a while.

Sazar
07-05-04, 09:02 PM
check your refresh rates chris...

Ninja Prime
07-06-04, 12:49 AM
Personally, I never saw why it got dogged like it did, I liked it a lot. The graphics are about the best out there right now, and the gameplay was pretty fun. The story was good, though a bit cheesy at times, but it didnt detract from the gameplay, for me anyway.

|JuiceZ|
07-06-04, 01:06 AM
blah, just watching Aida made ma happy :D

WeReWoLf
07-06-04, 01:09 AM
It's not a bad game in all, and the graphics are quite stunning... come to think of it i might just go and play it again. The first time i played it was on my 5700 and i never had any slowdown running it at it's highest settings at 1024x768.

ChrisRay
07-06-04, 02:59 AM
check your refresh rates chris...

My refresh rates? I play with vsync disabled @ 85 Hz

The frame rates are spasmatic, The first level (training) I got 60-70 at these settings.

And in the forest I average about 50 FPS (Second level I think where your defending) I dunno, I looked at Ragejgs review with Unreal 2, and other benches of the game, + The Digit Life review. The Performance seems to be in line with what those reviews are saying.

Intel17
07-06-04, 08:42 AM
Personally, I never saw why it got dogged like it did, I liked it a lot. The graphics are about the best out there right now, and the gameplay was pretty fun. The story was good, though a bit cheesy at times, but it didnt detract from the gameplay, for me anyway.

I agree!

Riptide
07-06-04, 08:47 AM
blah, just watching Aida made ma happy :D
Only girl I've ever seen that will let you walk right up to her and stare straight down at her rather ample bosom. :)

That is, and not slap you anyway. ;) :D

Intel17
07-06-04, 12:31 PM
I personally loved unreal 2.

WeReWoLf
07-06-04, 04:16 PM
The only problem is, they didn't use true displacement or bump mapping... on Aida

picofarad
07-07-04, 05:30 AM
I don't know, I didn't find the graphics attractive at all. Yeah, they throw around alot of polygons, but the art just didnt appeal to me. It was very...sterile. Or perhaps they lacked 'feel'? I don't know what the right word to use is. None of the scenes spoke to me like the unreal1 ones did.

SH0DAN
07-07-04, 07:38 AM
The only problem is, they didn't use true displacement or bump mapping... on Aida

no they didnt,but they did use over 11000 polys on her model alone.which at the
time(feb2003)was insane.

Edge
07-07-04, 11:00 AM
11000 polygons? Are you sure? Seems a little high, she didn't seem THAT detailed. Though it seems that surface effects make a much bigger difference than raw polygons do, look at how good Doom 3's models look and they're only 2000-3000 polygons each. But oh well, at least with those 11000 polygons they were able to get some nice curves on her :D