PDA

View Full Version : Performance with nV chipset + VPU

PaiN
07-05-04, 04:32 PM
What do you guys think of the tails of increased performance when running an nV video card on an nV chipset, like a 6800U \ nf3 250Gb mobo combo?

mustrum
07-05-04, 05:54 PM
There wont be any. NV chipsets work great with any card. (Thanks god)

Arioch
07-05-04, 07:10 PM
Nvidia claimed a speed boost with both running together but then I never saw any numbers or benchmarks to back it up. It would be nice to see some tests from a website outside of any tests Nvidia performs themselves. I mean it would be simple for the FSB to be bumped up one or two points and then proclaim the increases are due to the dual Nvidia setup when it really isn't.

PaiN
07-05-04, 09:36 PM
I did see a review like this...way back...and it showed some small gains...I was hoping for a recent look or info.
I want to know if its even worth considering, because I "might" be rebuilding on an A64 platform.

Gator
07-06-04, 06:03 AM
I did see a review like this...way back...and it showed some small gains...I was hoping for a recent look or info.
I want to know if its even worth considering, because I "might" be rebuilding on an A64 platform.

Well as stated, matching Nvidia chipset with Nvidia GPU really doesn't seem to make a difference, it would be nice if you benched an Nvidia video card in matching hardware, changing only the motherboard itself. But the fact if you benched Nforce vs VIA vs SIS, the winner may not be related to a better AGP but rather a better chipset overall. It's a tough thing bench.

If your real reason for asking was to choose an Athlon64 chipset, the answer to that is easy, just get an Nforce3 250 or 250GB. It's the only one currently with working AGP/PCI lock, and the 250GB has lots of extras like builtin Firewall and integrated SATA & LAN on the chipset itself. SIS755 is also stable, but it doesn't have the AGP/PCI lock and the other fancy onchip features. VIA I've read of various stability issues with the A64 so I'd advise against them.

PaiN
07-06-04, 01:05 PM
The biggest thing holding me back from building an A64...is what mobo to use.
It would be S939 and there are only 3 boards available and none would be right for me:
Abit AV8 (VIA 800Pro): only two SATA RAID ports, I need at least four.
Asus A8V (VIA 800Pro): I try to aviod Asus boards...if possible
Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 (nf3 Ultra): at $225 its too expensive, I'd be paying for features I don't need.

If your real reason for asking was to choose an Athlon64 chipset
....I'm a very straight shooter, if there's something I want help with...I'll just ask ;). So honest-indian, when I made this thread, I really wanted to know if there was a performance increase on an nVid-nVid setup.....

Gator
07-06-04, 01:15 PM
...I'm a very straight shooter, if there's something I want help with...I'll just ask ;). So honest-indian, when I made this thread, I really wanted to know if there was a performance increase on an nVid-nVid setup.....

Well from what I've read here and there, without providing any links, I think Nvidia had intended for performance to be less with ATI cards, but this never happen and it really would not have worked to their advantage either. The Nforce series appears to work great with everything thrown at it, so I cannot think of any reason why NV + NV would work any better than NV + ATI or NV + SIS, etc... Buy what you like, I jsut recommend Nforce because it's stable and it's best when overclocking with A64 because it has working AGP/PCI lock.

and if you're in the market for S939, I highly recommend you wait for an Nforce3 motherboard! I keep reading about problems with VIA and the S939 :rolleyes:

jAkUp
07-06-04, 01:20 PM
The abit guys at E3 told me they are not gonna make an NForce3 250 board until nVidia fixes their problems :(

Gator
07-06-04, 01:29 PM
The abit guys at E3 told me they are not gonna make an NForce3 250 board until nVidia fixes their problems :(

That's BS in my opinion. As you may be aware ABIT has some bad sentiment toward Nvidia. They said they were going to only manufacturer ATI video cards from now on. The fact that they are finding an excuse not to make an Nforce3 motherboard is no surprise to me. Meanwhile major board makers like Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI don't seem to have a problem with it. And in my personal experience, Nforce3 150 and 250 are rock solid stable. To add to that, my personal experience with Abit has been anything but perfect, they've had their own share of bugs so I'm hesitant to beleive they won't make an Nforce3 board because "it's too buggy." :lame:

EDIT: ahem... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31403) :kill:

Gator
07-06-04, 01:32 PM
P4 3.2 Extreme Edition @ 3.7ghz
Koolance EXOS-liquid CPU / VPU cooling
Abit IC7-Max III (i875)
1gb (2x512) OCZ PC3700EL "Gold"
BFG 6800GT (working on the OC)

Wait a second, that's a damn impressive computer. I mean I'm not an Intel fan at all, but thats a DAMN NICE RIG! Why are you upgrading to Athlon64 anyway? I would think your current setup utilizes the GF6800 just fine :drooling:

PaiN
07-06-04, 03:21 PM
It is a nice system, thanks :)....believe me the thing is an animal :mohawk:
but I get bored...and need a new pet. Besides I said "might" rebuild.
I 100% agree I won't be doing anything until I see more 939 mobo..especially the nf3 250s...