PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a 5700

wlibaers
07-05-04, 07:16 PM
The card is an ASUS GF 5700 with 256MB DDR.
DirectX 9.0b, 56.72 drivers.

Other hardware:
ASUS P4P800 deluxe
P3 Northwood 3GHz.
Twinmos 2 x 512MB PC3200 (matched)
80MB Maxtor SATA HD
Plextor DVD en CD-RW drives

The symptom: artifacts. More specifically, flickering triangles, usually black, most of them thin, most of those oriented vertically or horizontally. No single-pixel artifacts.

It happens in:
Rise of nations (demo)
Empire earth (demo)
Aquamark (in specific places)
3DMark03 (in the CPU tests only, the other tests, even those with the same views as the CPU tests, look perfect. So, for example, Wings of Fury is perfect, CPU test 1 which looks the same is full of flashing junk)
Thief 3 (demo, very few artifacts)

Several other 3D games work without flaws.

The card isn't overclocked. Underclocking doesn't help. Disabling sideband, fast writes or AGP don't help either.

According to motherboard sensors, the power supply is stable. CPU, mobo, ang graphics card temperatures tend to stay low (below 60°C for all parts that have a sensor)

Memtest86 can run for hours without problems detected. Prime95 in torture test mode doesn't find problems either.

Suggestions? Any other 5700 owners with a similar issue?

ChrisRay
07-05-04, 07:33 PM
Sounds to me like your GPU may be malfunctioning. Triangles,. And tearing textures are usually a sign of a core thats been Overclocked too far, However it might just be the core is in trouble. If its not Overclocked I reccomend trying to get your warranty in action. The core does apparently have a problem.

Chris

WeReWoLf
07-05-04, 07:36 PM
but if it also does it in the CPU tests of 3dMark 03, it could mean that the CPU is overclocked at tad past it's max stability limit.

ChrisRay
07-05-04, 07:38 PM
but if it also does it in the CPU tests of 3dMark 03, it could mean that the CPU is overclocked at tad past it's max stability limit.

The CPU tests in 3dmark2003 also rely on the GPU.

wlibaers
07-06-04, 05:37 AM

Well, the CPU isn't overclocked either, so that's unlikely. A damaged CPU core would also be possible, but in that case I wouldn't expect Prime95 to run without errors.

It would be interesting to know the difference between the graphics and CPU tests in 3DMark, as they use the same graphics but only the CPU tests have the problem. That might help with locating the problem.

wlibaers
07-06-04, 01:39 PM
Well, problem solved. In a very strange way. Although I didn't think the CPU had anything to do with it, I decided to try underclocking it. After making the necessary changes in the BIOS and rebooting, I got a message that the BIOS was corrupt! :wtf: The system then went in an endless loop of checking the CD-ROM en floppy drives. I put a CD with backup BIOS in the drive, and got an funny (I didn't think it was funny at the moment it happened) message: flashing a good BIOS had failed.

Mild panic. OK, power cycle the machine. Reboot. This time, flashing works. Reboot. Another funny message: overclock has failed (the default mobo BIOS is set to overclock the machine? Way to go ASUS! :screwy: ). Asks me if I want to restore default settings. I agree. The systems boots up correctly, and when I test the graphics programs mentioned previously, no more artifacts.

The default BIOS settings don't seem too different from the previous ones. AGP aperture was reduced to 64 MB (shouldn't be a problem with a 256 MB card for current games), and a RAID card I had disabled is active again. I guess I could change that stuff, but if it ain't broke...

Conclusion: a messed up mobo BIOS can cause graphics artifacts.

Blacklash
07-06-04, 01:45 PM
I always had best results with the 53.03 drivers and the 5700U I had. Glad you are getting things working again.

wlibaers
07-06-04, 02:14 PM
I always had best results with the 53.03 drivers and the 5700U I had. Glad you are getting things working again.

53.03? So, which problems were in the other driver versions? Or do you mean only the performance? I know newer drivers for older cards often are a bit slower, but the bug fixes are sometimes nice to have too.

Of course, with the 5700 there's not much choice, only relatively recent drivers have support.

WeReWoLf
07-06-04, 05:19 PM
in Aquamark 3 the 53.03's always pulled in an extra 1000 points over the rest of the drivers.. from some reason aquamark 3 liked that kinda sugar.