PDA

View Full Version : Which is better

StabwestXV
07-05-04, 10:25 PM
both in terms of performance and reliability, both as a company and for the cards between the BFG 6800 ultra and the EVGA 6800 ultra? Thanks.

WeReWoLf
07-05-04, 10:30 PM
BFG... they provide Lifetime warranty

Amuro
07-05-04, 10:42 PM
The only thing that BFG is better than eVGA is that it has a better warranty program. But honestly, how many people really care about life time warranty anyways, I'm not expecting the card to last for more than 2 years technologically. I'd personally choose eVGA because of better bundle and dynamic overclocking ability. As for reliability, both BFG and eVGA cards are well built.

CainSyris
07-05-04, 10:56 PM
BFG is a company that came about from the remnants of the old Visiontek and that was a good company back in the day to buy parts from based on their warranty. Of course, the fact that they went out of business made the warranty seem less appealing now than it did then. ;) BFG overclocks out the gate. They build in special-enthusiast parts like the watercoolingblock'ed overclocked Ultra's (coreclock at 470 instead of 425 for the Ultra or 450 for the Extreme).

eVGA on the other hand has seemed to really want to cator to the enthusiast. They have a warranty that seems a little more certain since they've been around longer as the eVGA entity, though they've had some quality problems in the years past (not recently). They have a nice website you can order from and the Step Up program if you think you'll be upgrading again to the refresh part in a few months (3 months I think?) which will allow you to get hte money you put into the part back and toward a better card. There are also forums there to ask questions.

They seem both fine companies as far as graphics cards go. Personally? I'd go with eVGA simply to take advantage of the Step Up at least once. But the low price on the Gateway deal (+10%off coupon) for the X800XT PE lured me away from the Green. If that falls through, I'd probably hit the 399.99 including Step Up program since it'd lack the tax that kills purchases from Best Buy for me.

mrgoodcheese
07-05-04, 11:13 PM
Quality built.

Great OCing.

Great cooling.

True lifetime warranty.

So, it's BFG.

burningrave101
07-05-04, 11:16 PM
Lifetime warranty doesn't mean much if you OC the card and kill the warranty.

XFX, BFG, eVGA, Gainward, Gigabyte, MSI, Leadtek, and others are all top quality brands.

I like the XFX and Gigabyte cards alot myself. XFX usually puts togethor some of the top overclockers.

JayrodTremonki
07-06-04, 02:02 AM
For the Ultras I'd personally go for Evga(GT would be a tie for me). Simply for the Dynamic Overclocking, which typically OC's the card from 425-440 mhz depending on the heat. Also, far cry comes bundled and what-not, if you don't already have the game. Then there's the step-up program, within 90 days you can pay the difference and get a better card directly from Evga. So, let's say you buy a evga 6800 ultra now, 2 months down the road when availability is better(please god) you can upgrade to a 6800 Ultra Extreme Edition for $50.

Ruined
07-06-04, 02:04 AM
BFG #1, evga a close 2nd.

MUYA
07-06-04, 02:07 AM
The Ultras are....mostly the same only dependent on their after sales service.

M.r Bob
07-06-04, 02:12 AM
The only thing that BFG is better than eVGA is that it has a better warranty program. But honestly, how many people really care about life time warranty anyways, I'm not expecting the card to last for more than 2 years technologically. I'd personally choose eVGA because of better bundle and dynamic overclocking ability. As for reliability, both BFG and eVGA cards are well built.

dynamic overclocking ability , what is that?

Amuro
07-06-04, 02:26 AM
dynamic overclocking ability , what is that?

This should explain it.

http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=192 :)

StabwestXV
07-06-04, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all of the feedback.

mustrum
07-06-04, 09:23 AM

XFX, BFG, eVGA, Gainward, Gigabyte, MSI, Leadtek, and others are all top quality brands.

I like the XFX and Gigabyte cards alot myself. XFX usually puts togethor some of the top overclockers.

Yeah but there's no way to proof you OCed the card.
Just say: It suddenly stopped working!
:D

mrgoodcheese
07-06-04, 01:41 PM

You don't know BFG very well. It's not an issue with them, unless something crazy/dumb like soldering and volt-modding is done to the card. Same thing applies with Gainward.

Pandora's Box
07-06-04, 04:52 PM
what about bfg vs evga vs leadtek vs gainward? what do each of them have over the other?

right now im leaning towards the leadtek. they cool the back of the card as well.