PDA

View Full Version : sound cards...

Pages : [1] 2

terabyte
07-06-04, 12:59 AM
I don't know about everyone else but i'm fed up with Creative Labs cards bugs. I have updated drivers still It's not what I expect not quality of years ago with Turtle beach cards (http://www.tbeach.com/site/products/soundcards/santacruz/).

Tell us all what you think about the two, or others brands.

Rytr
07-06-04, 01:14 AM
I'm still using Turtle Beach and Philips cards. My newest addition last year was the Fortissimo II from Hercules.

zoomy942
07-06-04, 01:22 AM
speaking of soundcards.. if i had az turtle beach or a phillips, would it perform differently than my soiundblaster audigy platinum? what about EAX.. do those other cards support it? if not, how does a game make 3d sound.

i am asking cuas ei am thinkng about getting a different brand of sound card.

terabyte
07-06-04, 01:24 AM
Rytr, How was that Fortissimo II from Hercules? I've not seen much said about those cards.

I suppose safe bet would be Turtle Beach Santa Cruz next time....any probs with it anyone?

Rytr
07-06-04, 01:32 AM
I have not had any problems with the Fortissimo II card and it, like the TB, is easy on CPU cycles. I have used it with both Klipsch or Logitech speakers and the sound is excellent for gaming.

The Santa Cruz was and still is an excellent card for the serious gamer.

Smokey
07-06-04, 04:46 AM
Is this just another anti Creative thread? There is nothing wrong with the Audigy2 line of cards, good for music, dvds and the best gaming sound card out there, what more do you want?

If you are a gamer, then Audigy2/ZS is the best card you can get, would be interested to hear what these so called " hardware bugs" are!

saturnotaku
07-06-04, 07:25 AM
If you are a gamer, then Audigy2/ZS is the best card you can get, would be interested to hear what these so called " hardware bugs" are!

Count me in on that. I've not had a single problem with my A2 ZS in any game or application I've tried. I think a lot of people's problems with Creative's drivers stems from all the other applications they want you to install. I only use the drivers, no other consoles or control panels - they work fine.

ragejg
07-06-04, 08:21 AM
Meh, count ME in on the "I'm cool with an Audigy1" club, which may be a bit small, but hey... :p ... I use the Audigy2 driver pack and have no problems at all, even with EAX1/2/3...

Same for my SBLive! 5.1 which I use Audigy1 driver packs with. :D

Gator
07-06-04, 09:02 AM
SBLive is teh devil in my opinion. I had scratchy audio issues with it in XP, and of course we've all heard of what a bandwidth hog the SBLive can be.

As for the Audigy, I've read that Creative has really improved the driver package for them, and you also have thrid party choices available. So although for myself I will never buy Creative again, I acknowledge that Audigy 1 & 2 aren't bad now.

And yes, Santa Cruz truely rocks! I loved mine, used up until a few weeks ago. I replaced the old SBLive with a SantaCruz back in 2001 when I got XP, and it was a tremendous improvement in audio quality and performance. The drivers are rock solid stable. But alas, Santa Cruz is really showing it's age now :(

If you're gonna buy a newer sound card and don't want to go Creative, I would get the Hercules Fortismo III

GuyClinch
07-06-04, 02:31 PM
If you favour music as much as games..like alot of people do nowadays..
M-Audio revolution is a nice choice. If you check into some online reviews most people say its sounds much better for music. It in general has a cleaner output with less "hiss." If you have nice speakers it will sound better.

I was fed up with creative as well and switched to that card. Creative does little things that annoy me - they don't even use simple color coding for their hookups..

Creative is better for games though. It uses fewer processor cycles and supports some EAX HD.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-121-101&depa=1

Check some reviews on the M-Audio its a VERY popular alternative to creative nowadays. I am surpised on one mentioned it.

Pete

SH64
07-06-04, 03:01 PM
I have Audigy 2 ZS in my systems .
it may has bugs , but its the best you can get .

zoomy942
07-06-04, 03:02 PM
i just reformatted my pc cause of my new 9800 pro, and now my soundblaster audigy makes occasional popping nioses when i play games... i didtn do this before. what did i do dofferent?

Smokey
07-06-04, 03:51 PM
i just reformatted my pc cause of my new 9800 pro, and now my soundblaster audigy makes occasional popping nioses when i play games... i didtn do this before. what did i do dofferent?

Make sure that after you installed windows, that the soundcard and the video card are not sharing the same IRQ.

zoomy942
07-06-04, 07:36 PM
Make sure that after you installed windows, that the soundcard and the video card are not sharing the same IRQ.

thats whats nutty about the whole thing. there are all by themselves. hmm..

terabyte
07-07-04, 08:03 PM

Thats what I hear somtimes, also when listening to music. I have the Audigy gamer which isn't newest. I bet I could put my old turtle beach card in from 4 yrs back and have better quality then this, I might just try it!

:alc:

Pandora's Box
07-07-04, 09:13 PM
the only thing i dont like about the audigy 2zs is all the software that the cd installs. i just wanted the damn drivers not bloated crap. so i headed over to creative.com and got the latest drivers. sounds great! nothing wrong with audigy 2zs. well maybe one small thing: front audio panel sound ports where are they?!?. no problem for me though speakers have headphone port so im good.

SH64
07-08-04, 12:39 AM
the only thing i dont like about the audigy 2zs is all the software that the cd installs. i just wanted the damn drivers not bloated crap. so i headed over to creative.com and got the latest drivers. sounds great! nothing wrong with audigy 2zs. well maybe one small thing: front audio panel sound ports where are they?!?. no problem for me though speakers have headphone port so im good.

Yeah .. when i first looked up into the CD ..i was like " what the hell , wheres the damn drivers !"
took me a while to figure where are they .

the best way is to let the auto hardware updater do the job .

fleshonbone
07-08-04, 02:45 AM
I have been using a Santa Cruz for at least 3 years now. I have never once had a single issue with it throughout 3 different OS's and at least 4 or 5 different motherboard/cpu combos (both Intel and AMD).

Recently, I have been thinking about replacing it with the Audigy2zs, however, I did own a Soundblaster once many a moon ago hence my trepidation at going with Creative again.

I will confess that many people attest to Creative's improvements over the slop that their laziness afforded them, however I also read that their install packages are goofy and drivers still a bit bloated - they used to even install AOL in a thousand places with no option to avoid it - don't know if that's still the case.

Considering that their cards used to hog IRQs, PCI bandwidth, 20-25% of CPU cycles, etc., I have always considered their products to consist of the following formula: 25% Marketing/25% Useless Marketing features, control panels etc/25% Useless Marketing in the form of 3yearold game software bundles/25% Engineering. It's like they spend 75% of their budget to entice (convince) people to buy a their products, when, IMO, the product should be able to speak for itself.

I am still fearing that the Santa Cruz is slowly becoming outdated and it's a shame that their is no real competition in the sound card market - I'm sure against my better judgement I will break down and buy the Audigy sometime soon, hopefully, as some people say, it will work out to be a great trouble-free card and not, as others attest, a headache inducing POS of bloated marketing scams that requires a HD format should you decide to take out the soundcard and return it.

mustrum
07-08-04, 04:07 AM
Since i allways was unhappy with the crappy creative drivers i use ahercules gamesurround fortissimo III 7.1 for over 2 years now. Never had any issues witht that cheap card so far.
Don't get me wrong: The audigy hardware is excellent for sure but the drivers are more then questionable still. :(
I have soundstorm on my motherboard as well but was not too pleased with it.
Raising FSB to very high levels caused my sound going crazy (crackling noices probably de to warm northbridge). :lame:

Smokey
07-08-04, 03:32 PM
Since i allways was unhappy with the crappy creative drivers i use ahercules gamesurround fortissimo III 7.1 for over 2 years now. Never had any issues witht that cheap card so far.
Don't get me wrong: The audigy hardware is excellent for sure but the drivers are more then questionable still. :(
I have soundstorm on my motherboard as well but was not too pleased with it.
Raising FSB to very high levels caused my sound going crazy (crackling noices probably de to warm northbridge). :lame:

Havent got any driver problems here, mind you, I've only ever had one problem with their drivers, and thatr was with my SBLive. One thing though, do make sure that the soundcard has its own IRQ.

mustrum
07-08-04, 03:43 PM
nevermind

fleshonbone
07-08-04, 04:51 PM
Havent got any driver problems here, mind you, I've only ever had one problem with their drivers, and thatr was with my SBLive. One thing though, do make sure that the soundcard has its own IRQ.

But the real question is, does your system tray stretch all the way over to your Start Menu with "creative" extras? And do you hear "You've got mail" after every mouseclick?

Those are the things that are bothering me - I know the IRQ should be fixed if you are running an ACPI 2.0 compliant OS (Win2k/XP) so that's not a concern for me at least.

Smokey
07-08-04, 06:25 PM
But the real question is, does your system tray stretch all the way over to your Start Menu with "creative" extras? And do you hear "You've got mail" after every mouseclick?

Those are the things that are bothering me - I know the IRQ should be fixed if you are running an ACPI 2.0 compliant OS (Win2k/XP) so that's not a concern for me at least.

Haha no, the only things iI have installed other than the drivers are; SoundMixer (to control EAX) and AudioHQ. I have nothing Creative starting up, it was either not installed or removed from startup. :)

fleshonbone
07-08-04, 07:07 PM
Haha no, the only things iI have installed other than the drivers are; SoundMixer (to control EAX) and AudioHQ. I have nothing Creative starting up, it was either not installed or removed from startup. :)

Cool - sounds much leaner than it used to be - which is the way I like my computer (and women :lol2:

Kev1
07-09-04, 11:06 AM
Ok, well I upgraded to an Audigy 2 ZS yesterday and there is BIG difference to my ears between it and SB Live 5.1. I was kinda amazed at the sound coming out of my 4.1 speaker setup.

I was finally able to run the final test in 3D Mark 2003, and it didnt really change my overall score any. Still scoring around 6000 3D Marks. Besides an improvement in sound quality, the biggest thing I noticed is how much faster my computer works. It is like it was lagging but its not anymore. I wonder just how much of your CPU power is used by the SB Live series.

EAX in COD is amazing :eek: I installed most of the creative stuff just to play with my new toy, but will be removing most of it except for the very necessary stuff soon.

Overall this is great sound card, best upgrade I've done in a while :)