PDA

View Full Version : CPU Interface In Bios.

ChrisRay
07-06-04, 02:19 AM
Ok, I have an Nforce 2 board by Albatron. I have never really touched this settings.

I have everything set to expert, (cept I left this setting at optimal)

I noticed that setting this setting to aggressive, actually caused my systems performance to rise a good 5-6%. I guess the question I am asking now is "Why",

What exactly does this setting do? It says "Use most stable FSB/Clock settings" Rather than use "Use Overclocked Fronst Side/settings"

However since my system is already overclocked. The setting seemed kinda irrelevent to me. However, For example. My 3dmark2001SE score shot up from 17,750 to 18,250 by just switching the CPU interface to aggressive.

So Now I gotta wonder. If this mode improves performance. Does it come at the cost of stability, CPU experts please :)

anzak
07-06-04, 02:55 AM
I have never messed with this option but from what im reading on other message boards in ups the FSB and lowers the multiplyer. This obviously only works on unlocked CPUs.

ChrisRay
07-06-04, 03:23 AM
I have never messed with this option but from what im reading on other message boards in ups the FSB and lowers the multiplyer. This obviously only works on unlocked CPUs.

My CPU is locked..

Anyway Heres' an example.

CPU Optimal

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7947850

CPU Aggressive

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7952808

I have been told this setting changes the command rate timing from 2t to 1t, which makes me wonder, Why wasnt ti clearly labeled that? My Asus has the CPU interface greyed out.

Nutty
07-06-04, 04:38 AM
I use to have this on, but couldn't get my cpu stable at 2.2Ghz with it on. I didn't want to drop the speed, so I left it off.

MUYA
07-06-04, 04:40 AM
Interesting..wy dun u hit Adrian's Rojak Pot for the BIOS guide ?

ChrisRay
07-06-04, 04:45 AM
I use to have this on, but couldn't get my cpu stable at 2.2Ghz with it on. I didn't want to drop the speed, so I left it off.

I have had no stability problems with this option enabled so far, I have heard it can cause some systems to remain unstable. Currently though, I havent crashed in any games yet, I am definately watching for signs of instability playing various games.

Just havent seen it yet.

Oddly enough. My Asus A7n8x Deluxe board doesnt allow this setting to be adjusted.

Nutty
07-06-04, 08:18 AM
Test with mem86 and prime95. Often games wont show problems because they're not suceptible to crash with floating point rounding errors. Prime95 however will report them.

Rytr
07-06-04, 08:25 AM
I would suspect the 'agressive' settings are in reference to the ram timings which could possibly give you the increase you noted. If that is the case then stability at these settings would be dependent on your ram.

ragejg
07-06-04, 08:26 AM
Test with mem86 and prime95. Often games wont show problems because they're not suceptible to crash with floating point rounding errors. Prime95 however will report them.

:D:D yeah it will!! :D:D

Riptide
07-06-04, 12:00 PM
Prime95 never lets me down. Just about a guarantee that if your system can run that for even 1 hour without any issues then it's almost certainly stable. An 8 hour run just about proves it beyond any doubt at all.

BTW, memtest is wonderful for testing timings if you're fooling with memory settings. That way you can boot off that memtest disc and avoid going into windows to test stability.

ChrisRay
07-06-04, 03:38 PM

Memtest and prime95 hasnt changed. Everyone over at futuremark has told me this is the memory "Command Rate timing"

1t And 2t, Optimal is 2t, and 1t is aggressive. Which is surprising. Because every via board I have owned has clearly labeled this. Yet my 2 nforce boards, (Asus And Albatron) Label it "CPU Interface"

So now the question is, Why does Asus go out of their way to prevent this option from being enabled? My Nf7 and KX18D Pro II allow for manipulation of it.

My A7n8x Deluxe does not.

mustrum
07-07-04, 02:40 AM
Asus a7n8x deluxe 2.0 here. CPU @ 2.4ghz on agressive.
No problems with prime95 or memtest86.