PDA

View Full Version : BFG or EVGA??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MiuMan
07-06-04, 04:25 AM
EVGA has the GT in for 399.... and i could order the bfg from best buy. The evga is instock.. also.. is the GT going to be really that much of a difference from the ultra? Please let me know.. thanks...

rewt
07-06-04, 04:30 AM
Yeah you're lookin around $399 for a GT, ultra's are $499 i believe. The ultra should overclock a little more than the GT on the core and memory. I would get a BFG card mainly because it has full lifetime warranty.

svemirac
07-06-04, 04:33 AM
Im ordering eVga today. $399 is a steal, period. Gt is easily overclockable to Ultra speeds for $100 less. I wanted to get bfg, but realized thats theyre basicaly trying to make more money by selling oced versions that are not not necesarilly gonna overclock any better than other cards such as evga's. Also, evga's are in stock.

Pimp!
07-06-04, 10:23 AM
but does evga have a real life time warranty at overclocked speeds? :clap:

Templar
07-06-04, 10:27 AM
off topic but just so you at least know about this card. Point Of View sells in Europe. It's got a Nalu "GeForce 6800 Ultra" sticker on the cooler and does have a 425Mhz core in 3d.

Warranty I don't know about. The Norwegian stores are forced to cover a videocard for at least 3 years regardless of what the manufactorer.

Simon

Raptorman
07-06-04, 10:40 AM
Whichever you can get your hands on, imo.

saturnotaku
07-06-04, 10:42 AM
Both are solid companies with excellent products and support. I'd agree with buying from the company whose card you can get your hands on first.

MiuMan
07-06-04, 11:01 AM
Well thanks everyone for your replies. The Evga as I said is in stock. Its the GT version. But Im not really a overclocker and THAT big of a gamer... I mean I want doom 3, farcry etc.. so question is do i really need the ultra.. is the core speed that important? This is what im running now.. so i KNOW ill see a difference.

P4 2.8 800FSB Gigabyte 8knxp motherboard 875P chipset
512 DDr pc3200 going to get another 512 soon
Geforce 2 mx yeah i know.. LOL
i have 2 fans in the back, one on the side, on on front, and one on top.. but for some reason my computer still is like running at 60 something ...is that to hot..?

Raptorman
07-06-04, 11:12 AM
IMO, every single megahert counts. Not only that, the faster it is, the longer it will last.

MiuMan
07-06-04, 11:16 AM
IMO, every single megahert counts. Not only that, the faster it is, the longer it will last.

The longer it will last? How is that possible? Also.. is it really worth the 100 bucks extra for a few megahurts? I mean if thats the case with it lasting longer.. what about a bfg card that has a lifetime warranty... or do I go after the evga which i can get now lol

Jedi Rainman
07-06-04, 11:17 AM
Bfg

Raptorman
07-06-04, 11:18 AM
Speed. Considering my 9700 PRO sux in performance in Joint Ops right now. I like the advantage of SM 3.0, but I see it as the faster it is the longer the performance will be maintained in games.

Though the GT usually overclocks to 6800U speeds from what I've seen (well, atleast to 400MHz).

Whatever you want to do though. Either company is good.

evilchris
07-06-04, 11:24 AM
If you don't have, and want, Farcry get the evga. basically $40 off right there,

MiuMan
07-06-04, 11:27 AM
Speed. Considering my 9700 PRO sux in performance in Joint Ops right now. I like the advantage of SM 3.0, but I see it as the faster it is the longer the performance will be maintained in games.

Though the GT usually overclocks to 6800U speeds from what I've seen (well, atleast to 400MHz).

Whatever you want to do though. Either company is good.

Well I appreciate your input....as i said in an earlier comment, Im not really into overclocking and all that... just wanna play some games without problems and slowdowns etc and i figured I would just get a newer card and this one came out. I only have a geforce 2 so i think i would be happy either way :)

MiuMan
07-06-04, 11:28 AM
If you don't have, and want, Farcry get the evga. basically $40 off right there,

Thanks.. thats another idea that I was actually thinking about to. It comes with the game.. Just trying to make sure evga is a good company and that getting a GT wont be a waste of time.

saturnotaku
07-06-04, 11:45 AM
Just trying to make sure evga is a good company and that getting a GT wont be a waste of time.

Overclocking a video card isn't as dangerous (per-se) as overclocking your CPU. The Forceware drivers have a built-in overclocking function that you can enable via a registry hack, and there's even an option to have the drivers automatically overclock to the safest level your card can handle. That's a no-lose situation if you ask me. A 6800 Ultra will be bottlenecked by your CPU, and so will the GT. For what you have, I honestly don't think the extra $100 price premium of the Ultra is justified.

MiuMan
07-06-04, 11:48 AM
Overclocking a video card isn't as dangerous (per-se) as overclocking your CPU. The Forceware drivers have a built-in overclocking function that you can enable via a registry hack, and there's even an option to have the drivers automatically overclock to the safest level your card can handle. That's a no-lose situation if you ask me. A 6800 Ultra will be bottlenecked by your CPU, and so will the GT. For what you have, I honestly don't think the extra $100 price premium of the Ultra is justified.

So your saying just go with the GT? And in your opinion... BFG or EVGA ?

Thanks

saturnotaku
07-06-04, 11:50 AM
So your saying just go with the GT? And in your opinion... BFG or EVGA ?

Thanks

I said in my first post, you probably can go with whatever card you can get your hands on first. They're both going to be great, but I personally prefer BFG because they're based here in the Chicago area. But I've also owned eVGA cards and they're just as solid.

M.r Bob
07-06-04, 11:51 AM
ya i got the gt to , i wont pay extra 100 dollar for 50mhz , went i can do that by my self here , i got EVGA and it work nice , plus free farcry that mean to me 50cnd dollar lees

MiuMan
07-06-04, 11:53 AM
ya i got the gt to , i wont pay extra 100 dollar for 50mhz , went i can do that by my self here , i got EVGA and it work nice , plus free farcry that mean to me 50cnd dollar lees

Nice rig you got set up over there. I guess I will go with the EVga since it is in stock.. plus it comes with Farcry which I dont have yet

M.r Bob
07-06-04, 11:55 AM
Nice rig you got set up over there. I guess I will go with the EVga since it is in stock.. plus it comes with Farcry which I dont have yet

thanks, good choice you will be so happy , like i am

Rytr
07-06-04, 11:57 AM
Thanks.. thats another idea that I was actually thinking about to. It comes with the game.. Just trying to make sure evga is a good company and that getting a GT wont be a waste of time.

Don't think you will find that coming from a MX to a GT will be a waste of time, if you are a gamer. I have a FX5950U and going to an eVGA 6800GT was an excellent experience and I imagine yours (with either BFG or eVGA) will be considerably better. ;)

MiuMan
07-06-04, 11:58 AM
Oh yeah.. one thing... I have a 420 PSU should i upgrade that to?

MiuMan
07-06-04, 12:00 PM
Don't think you will find that coming from a MX to a GT will be a waste of time, if you are a gamer. I have a FX5950U and going to an eVGA 6800GT was an excellent experience and I imagine yours (with either BFG or eVGA) will be considerably better. ;)

Yeah, from an Mx to a GT should help. Just hoping I can run doom 3 later on etc..

p4 2.8
512 pc3200 ddr going to 1gig soon
i hope it works well LOL

Rytr
07-06-04, 12:07 PM
420W should be plenty, but I would recommend the +12V output be rated at least 18A. Some are having no problems with less.

I would not worry about Doom3, running a GT. ;)