PDA

View Full Version : Abit - my bad experience

Riptide
07-06-04, 12:34 PM
I will not buy another Abit motherboard again. I realize this gripe may apply to other manufacturers, if so, they suck as well. Let me explain.

I purchased the AV8 motherboard and the FX53 to go with it under the assumption that I would have access in the BIOS to tweak the multiplier. Abit's revison 1.0 of this motherboard, though it says it supports this feature in the manual, will not work with this and the function is grayed out. Only revision 1.1 of the board and with a new BIOS will ungray this option.

Abit will not RMA my motherboard for the newer revision. If I send mine in, I get a 1.0 back. This is bad service IMO. They sold me a motherboard that should've worked out of the box in this regard and it did not. Their response to fix the problem? They tell me, the customer, to go out and purchase the rev 1.1. They will not RMA/exchange my board for me.

I am disgusted with this and I will not be buying another Abit motherboard any time soon. I would advise others to do the same. Stay away, their service is horrible and they like to pass on the costs of their beta testing to the consumer IMO.

And I don't want to hear any crap about how I should've expected this because it's a new motherboard. They shouldn't sell something, say it does x thing, and then when it doesn't expect me to send them more money. Hogwash.

Gator
07-06-04, 12:44 PM
Riptide I sympathize with you completely. This is just a crying shame what they are doing to you. Maybe you could ask a member of the Nvnews staff for help, since Nvnews is technically a review site. If an Nvnews rep contacts Abit and they still give them crap, then it wouldn't look good in a review now would it ;). Just an idea... heh heh :bash:

But ya that really sucks. If you can't get a 1.1 replacement from Abit, my advice is to wait for an Nforce3 S939 motherboard, they should be here any day now. When you get one of those gems, sell your craptastic Abit board on ebay.

And on a side note, I've never been crazy about Abit or VIA chipsets :kill:

CurlySue
07-06-04, 12:48 PM
I agree Riptide. I had problems with my IC7 NB fan and that ended up costing me $150 - $200 more than I paid for it. Not to mention all the time spent on it. That would equal a good bit more. The still haven't put out a BIOS that fixes the temp issues either. I think they need a good spanking over these issues to stop this nonsense. What really sucks is that they don't care one bit because there are enough customers in the world that pissing off 10 or 20 thousand of us wont hurt them. Also, noone is doing anything about it so why should they care. They don't do the advertising for their own product so they are not held responsible, (by law), for it. The thing to do here is to hold the retailler responsible so that the stop selling Abit products unless Abit shapes up :drooling:

Sazar
07-06-04, 01:02 PM
where did you buy the board from?

can't you rma it back to them? or work out some sort of deal with them?

I can't believe you've had the board for that long :confused:

and yah... abit really screwed the pooch on this one... I think you need to fire off some emails to their customer service department and let them know exactly what you think...

abit == :lame: in this case...

sry rip

Riptide
07-06-04, 01:09 PM
I'm going to contact gameve today and see what they say. They may be my only hope for obtaining one of the newer revision boards. It all depends on whether they get any in stock and if so when. There's a 30 day limit on exchanges... They may make an exception. We'll see...

Thanks for the support guys.

**EDIT** Looks like gameve is going to be a little more supportive than Abit. They say they'll exchange it for me, that I should call back in a couple weeks when they may have some of the newer revision motherboards in stock.

Sazar
07-06-04, 01:24 PM
congrats :)

I asked bout the vendor coz msi was excellent with me concerning my board.. the first one I received was problematic and they gave me absolutely no hassles in returning it... I eventually bought a new board @ my local vendor but newegg got some kudos for their service... I was on the phone not even 2 minutes :D

hope gameve does you right...

once they do feel free to send a nasty email to abit :D

saturnotaku
07-06-04, 01:26 PM
I could play devil's advocate for Abit if this option only existed in the 1.1 motheboards. But since you could plainly see it and they will not enable it, that's complete bull. I hope you're able to get this issue resolved. Frankly, I'm shocked that GameVE is being so understanding about it. :eek:

Riptide
07-06-04, 01:34 PM
Maybe all the negative ratings gameve got ended up causing them to change how they do things... I dunno, we'll just have to see how this turns out. I might call gameve up in a couple weeks and hear a completely different story. ;)

DiscipleDOC
07-06-04, 01:57 PM
I'm glad to hear you're getting some satisfaction, bro.

mrgoodcheese
07-07-04, 01:42 PM
Hmm, maybe I'm really tired and missed the obvious........

but did you flash the board's bios to the latest update and check to see if the feature is then enabled?

Riptide
07-07-04, 02:32 PM
Hmm, maybe I'm really tired and missed the obvious........

but did you flash the board's bios to the latest update and check to see if the feature is then enabled?
Yes, and no it is not enabled. It came straight from Abit themselves that revision 1.1 of the motherboard is necessary for the unlocked multiplier.

saberz
07-08-04, 07:31 PM
I'm with you Riptide. I had 2 NF7-S rev 2.0 boards die on me within a span of a few months. Both died without any systems, wouldn't post, wouldn't do jack squat. Then when I RMA'd both boards(two different points in the year) both were supposedly "lost" as in they never got there?. I called Customer service, aka NO SERVICE and they said it wasn't their problem. I paid two 25 dollar RMA fee's sent the boards out, faxed the reciept and they didn't do jack.

Sazar
07-08-04, 08:17 PM
here is the thing... k8t800pro is supposed to have locked pci/agp... and all FX's are supposed to be free of multlocks...

neither of them seems to be the case with the abit board rev 1.0 (not 100% sure bout the agp/pci not working properly but some consumer reviews say its dodgy) so I am not sure what abit was thinking with this board...

hows the rma thinger going with the etailler?

Pandora's Box
07-08-04, 08:20 PM
how bout you call them up. ask to speak to a manager. tell him/her that if they do not replace the motherboard with a 1.1 version you will take legal action for false advertising? see what they say to that

Sazar
07-08-04, 08:22 PM
good call dave... it is false advertising in a manner of speaking...

Riptide
07-09-04, 10:27 AM
Well, I was told by gameve to wait a couple weeks and call back to see if they have any revision 1.1 boards available for me to purchase, at which point I will RMA this 1.0 back to them. So I'll find out in about 10 days as to whether or not I can do an exchange/RMA switch yet.

Regarding false advertising, Abit is to smart for that. They are sly little foxies. ;)

In the manual it say "specifications subject to change" or some such bologne. So they have their legal asses covered there. It's still a bunch of crap from a consumer's standpoint but there is nothing to be done legally there.

saturnotaku
07-09-04, 10:48 AM
Well, I was told by gameve to wait a couple weeks and call back to see if they have any revision 1.1 boards available for me to purchase, at which point I will RMA this 1.0 back to them. So I'll find out in about 10 days as to whether or not I can do an exchange/RMA switch yet.

Did you make sure and write down the names of the people you talked to at GameVE? I also would try to get an e-mail or something in writing from them that says they will RMA your board when they get the new ones. Good luck!

Pandora's Box
07-09-04, 11:13 AM

Regarding false advertising, Abit is to smart for that. They are sly little foxies. ;)

In the manual it say "specifications subject to change" or some such bologne. So they have their legal asses covered there. It's still a bunch of crap from a consumer's standpoint but there is nothing to be done legally there.

abit isnt that smart. they would be dumb to not give you a new board if you threaten them with a class action lawsuit.