PDA

View Full Version : The Dream is Over (BFG 6800U Related)

Pages : [1] 2

pjstp20
07-06-04, 02:51 PM
I plead with you nvNews patrons to read this long post to it's completion, for today is a day when a fellow member needs the sympathy of his community.

Today was supposed to be a happy day, a great day, a day when anticipation was met with realization. My BFG 6800U came to my doorstep!!!! Upon opening the box I was suprised to see there were no instruction manuals, driver CDs or game demos, and also, I notice a slight ding in the heatsink fins. Although disconserting, I paid these things little mind. For they were minor setbacks...... and I wasn't going to let them foul my mood on this great day!

Anxiously I install the card into my computer and load the latest drivers via the internet, in dreams of high speed gaming, and destroying enemies with reckless abandon, shunning video card lag in my wake. From this day forward...... I was to have the upper hand against my adversaries. But here my friends...... here is where the fairytale takes a turn for the worse.

Immediatly after powering on my computer, an ungodly screech errupts from the bowels of my computer (think buzzsaw) startling me to attention. I've heard the stories of the dustbuster, and the predriver load howl this beast can emmit, but still..... something seemed quite amiss. I prayed for the drivers to load and quell this screeching monster but nay...... It kept on with the same fervor.

Denial immediatly set in. Surely BFG Tech support could help solve this problem! So I quickly dialed the phone and waited, and waited, and waited.... only to be told to return it to Best Buy.

Unsatisfied with this answer I immediatly began amature electronics repair, thinking that perhaps the dented heatsink fans were vibrating, causing this screech, so I bent them back.......and again, no luck. Slowly hope faded and I realized I was going to have to return this marvel of modern computer technology to Best Buy.

My last grasp at hope was that maybe, just maybe, they would vindicate this injustice and move me up in the queue and send me back the first available BFG 6800 Ultra.........but, alas.......no. I was infomed that I would only get a refund and be forced to return to square one: wait till they become available once again, and take my place at the end of the line.

So I ask you my friends, when you fire up you Geforce 6800s and enter the realm of gaming extasy......think about the one who was left behind, and take a moment of silence in rememberance. Thank You.

Disclaimer: This is overdramatized satire

P.S. But it still sucks huge goat teet!!!!!! And I'm pissed!!!!!!!!

mustrum
07-06-04, 02:58 PM
Ouch! UI feel with you man. This utterly sucks.
After holding it in your hands allready. That's cruel for sure.
:lame:

Unit-0
07-06-04, 02:59 PM
Oh my god what the hell happened to your card? :scarey:

Maybe it was squished by other stuff on the delivery truck and BB had to do amateur repairs on it?

:mad:

Slyder
07-06-04, 03:02 PM
Yeah its a real shame...

ANYWAY... back to reality...

j/k m8.. This really do's take the p. I would be chuffin gutted if it happened to me I know that. I dont really see why everyone wants one of these cards. Granted they are nice, pricey, worth it, (starts drooling here) breathtaking

I want one :D

Surely my FX5700 is just as good.... surely ? :(

Bad_Boy
07-06-04, 03:07 PM
very poetic in a sense. but still a shame, hope you get some luck on your path to great gaming :)

ragejg
07-06-04, 03:09 PM
Reminds me of when I got my 5800U... no worries, though, as I recieved a working replacement very soon after. :D

Ice Nine
07-06-04, 03:13 PM
This same scenario happened with my ATI X800XT PE. Worked for a day then *bzzt*. Stopped working. Machine won't boot with the card in. I'm back on my 9800 Pro until either a replacement x800xt or my 6800U Best Buy preorder arrives.

pjstp20
07-06-04, 03:43 PM
Thanks for your sympathies.

As a side note: Perhaps this is the work of a higher power. I'm taking a cetification test in August. I have a degree in exercise science, but I need this certification to fortify my resume in this competitive job world, and something tells me I won't be studying too hard with the temptation of Far Cry, Splinter Cell, etc. right in front of me while I try to study.

Maybe it's for the best. I have decided to wait until mid August to persue a video card again. By then Sp2, Far Cry 1.2, Direct X9.0c, Nvidia Certified Drivers, more units at retail, et al. Will be more readily available.

jdunlap
07-06-04, 03:50 PM
That makes me mad... I had a problem with my EVGA 6800 ultra, and they offered to CROSS SHIP ME A NEW ONE! I decided not to because the problem probably didn't have anything to do with the video card, and more with drivers. But still... I am glad I went with EVGA. I thought BFG was a good company too... Oh well..

|JuiceZ|
07-06-04, 03:53 PM
Nice story telling :) Sry to hear bout yer card though. Hope they send ya a replacment soon, seems you've accompanied a few ppl already in that same boat, gl man! ;)

...I thought BFG was a good company too... Oh well..

They are but technically since he just received the card, its still under Best Buy's warranty for another 30 days 'er so.

Jedi Rainman
07-06-04, 03:57 PM
Dude, if this story is true than that sucks, I feel for you, hope you have a better experience in the future

If its fake, then thats pretty :lame:

GravY
07-06-04, 03:59 PM
My BFG croaked on me and I called BFG Tech, they told me to send it back to the seller or to them, I said I would send it to them.. He then gave me an RMA no. told me the procedure.. once the card is back it will take two days to look over, if its unrepairable they will send me a new card via UPS.. I'd call BFG back and see if you can go this route.

Sniper_Merc
07-06-04, 04:01 PM
I woulda yanked that HSF off there and gone out and gotten a Zalman Heat Pipe.

Screw the warranty, I WANT THE POWAH!!!!!!!!!

pjstp20
07-06-04, 05:01 PM
Dude, if this story is true than that sucks, I feel for you, hope you have a better experience in the future

If its fake, then thats pretty :lame:

Dude that's pretty harsh. What motivation would I have to make this up? If I did, that's one intricate bull**** tale. I'm feeling so dissapointed and I wanted to get it out because, shocker, my GF doesn't appreciate the scope of this setback, and shes actually happy hoping that I'll reconsider getting this thing all together.

pjstp20
07-06-04, 05:22 PM
Sniper merc, do you have a link to the zalman heat pipe that will fit on the 6800 Ultra? Im sure I could find it myself but any help would be appretiated. If that doesnt seem to work I'll go with what Gravy suggested.

jp5612
07-06-04, 05:38 PM
Nicely told and very sad.

However, as the old adage goes, good things come to those who wait. My first new gen card was an X800 Pro. I was excited about it, proud of it. I couldn't believe I could break 10,000 in 3dMark03. IQ was good and performance was good, except in intense battle in Far Cry with the settings turned up.

It lasted for almost a week before the card died. I sent it back to Fry's and asked for a replacement, but there were none to be found. So I had to wait. In the process, I got a BFG 6800 GT. Popped the stock HSF off and installed a waterblock. Can run up to 438/1.2. To be safe, I keep it at 400/1.1 So, in essence, I have an Ultra for $100 less.

It runs soooo much better than the x800. The colors are better and it doesn't choke in the same area of Far Cry because of the additional 4 pipes.

I can do 12,500 in 03 now and still have room to crank it up more.

I have been an ATi boy for years -- but I have seen the light . . . and it is good.

My fried card led to better things.

I promise you, a working BFG 6800 is worth the wait.

Alex T.
07-06-04, 05:49 PM
RMA it pronto.

MikeC
07-06-04, 05:53 PM
Sniper merc, do you have a link to the zalman heat pipe that will fit on the 6800 Ultra? Im sure I could find it myself but any help would be appretiated. If that doesnt seem to work I'll go with what Gravy suggested.

I know how disappointed you are but see what Best Buy recommends you to do. BFG can't help what happens to your card in-between Best Buys receiving and shipping it to you. If there are parts missing you will probably have to return to BB. What condition was the box in when you received it? It seems strange for parts to be missing and the card damaged. I can't see what the purpose was for someone to take some parts then ruin the card. That is surely NOT what BFG would do and then ship the card.

vläd
07-06-04, 06:05 PM
Man, I feel for you!

Would it be possible that you could maybe wait 3 weeks or 30 days or what ever Best Buy's return policy is and then tell BFG that Best Buy won't take it back? This may be faster than to wait for Best Buy to ship you another card out.

Personally, I'd be calling BFG until they replaced it.

MikeC
07-06-04, 06:43 PM
Man, I feel for you!

Would it be possible that you could maybe wait 3 weeks or 30 days or what ever Best Buy's return policy is and then tell BFG that Best Buy won't take it back? This may be faster than to wait for Best Buy to ship you another card out.

Personally, I'd be calling BFG until they replaced it.

He has parts missing Vlad and a defective card. The chances of those things happening at the same time seem kinda high to me. One or the other OK but both sounds fishie to me. I would ship the package back to Best Buy tommorow, someone there knows that cards story.

Sazar
07-06-04, 06:47 PM
man... sry to hear that :(

like mike and others said... likely you just got really unlucky with teh card...

WeReWoLf
07-06-04, 06:57 PM
Feel sorry for me! I've got enough money, i've got the means, i've just got no-where to order one from! I'm not ordering from overseas, coz i know it will take months to arrive in pieces. Why oh Why do hardware and software manufacturers make us poor Southern Hemispherians wait an intolerable 4-6 weeks after US and Eurpoean release?!!

pjstp20
07-06-04, 07:03 PM
Update: Just called BFG back and this tech said that I could RMA it through them. So thats what I'm gonna do. I hope they give me a new card. This cursed one is dead to me.

WeReWoLf
07-06-04, 07:04 PM
Good luck to ya man! There ain't no way i'd pay that much money and accept sub-standard equipment.

vläd
07-06-04, 09:35 PM
He has parts missing Vlad and a defective card. The chances of those things happening at the same time seem kinda high to me. One or the other OK but both sounds fishie to me.

While I agree with you, I was merely trying to think of a way to get the card replaced quicker than to have to wait in line like he had just ordered one.