PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Ultra Noise?

Ice Nine
07-06-04, 04:35 PM
Any of you who have a 6800U: How noisy is it?

I'm big on quiet, and nothing annoys me more than fan noise. The X800XT PE has some fan noise when 3d is crankin' but is silent otherwise. Even at its fastest, it's only a slight whir, that even in a desktop would be very slight.

How noisy is the 6800 Ultra by comparison? What kind of sound (if any) does it make?

EngenZerO
07-06-04, 05:01 PM

I'm big on quiet, and nothing annoys me more than fan noise. The X800XT PE has some fan noise when 3d is crankin' but is silent otherwise. Even at its fastest, it's only a slight whir, that even in a desktop would be very slight.

How noisy is the 6800 Ultra by comparison? What kind of sound (if any) does it make?

LOL... as my Algorithms teacher would say its Big-Omega of 40DB. I think its safe to say that my 6800 Ultra is under 35DB but... I cant be for sure... its really not that loud.

jdunlap
07-06-04, 08:25 PM
it is pretty loud... Loud enough to dwarf the rest of my system... :(

HaVoK-G2
07-06-04, 10:06 PM
Its not really loud at all to me, BEFORE I installed the drivers though it was pretty high pitched and loud (but ive got sensitive ears >_< I can hear flourecent lights, tvs, printers, faxes... drives me crazy sometimes)

But after driver install, I dont notice it at all :)

Ruined
07-06-04, 10:14 PM
Its loud on bootup but quiet after windows starts.

Ice Nine
07-06-04, 10:19 PM
How about during Heavy 3d?

jdunlap: what else is in your system is a big noise contributor?

Ice Nine
07-08-04, 09:05 AM
Well, now that more 6800U's have made it to people's machines, any additional comments? How noisy is your 6800U? How audible is it?

rent
07-08-04, 09:47 AM
I don't consider it very loud, its actually quieter than my 5900Ultra.

My case has 4x 80mm fans (1500rpm) so they add some noise, but I don't consider it loud at all.

brentsg
07-08-04, 10:29 AM
I had replaced my ATI 9800's stock cooling mechanism with a Zalman fanless unit because it bothered me - just to give you an idea about how sensitive my ears are.

The 6800 Ultra doesn't bother me a bit.

B

surfhurleydude
07-08-04, 11:01 AM
You're crazy brentsg, the 9800 is definitely much much quieter than the 6800 Ultra... I'm very sensitive to noise as well. My CPU is zalmaned, my case fans are all zalmaned, my PSU is a TruPower, and the loudest thing in my case was the 9800 Pro... Then I put a 6800 Ultra in there and it was loud enough to make me want to get a GT. The GT isn't too loud, but it is louder than the 9800 Pro I believe... Not loud enough for me to alter the cooling solution though.

Zeno
07-08-04, 11:48 AM

I now have a PNY 6800 Ultra at work and an eVga 6800 GT at home. The fan noise on the GT is much worse (surprisingly) than the Ultra. The GT really annoys me. The Ultra is tolerable, but it is still the loudest fan in the computer.

On the plus side, both cards are screamingly fast. :firedevil

brentsg
07-08-04, 01:50 PM
You're crazy brentsg, the 9800 is definitely much much quieter than the 6800 Ultra... I'm very sensitive to noise as well. My CPU is zalmaned, my case fans are all zalmaned, my PSU is a TruPower, and the loudest thing in my case was the 9800 Pro... Then I put a 6800 Ultra in there and it was loud enough to make me want to get a GT. The GT isn't too loud, but it is louder than the 9800 Pro I believe... Not loud enough for me to alter the cooling solution though.

So if I disagree with you I'm crazy? Nice...

The only time I can hear the Ultra is before the driver loads. I have silent Thermaltake case fans at low RPM, Zalman on the CPU, and an Antec Truepower 480. When I had the ATI 9800 the pitch of the fan wasn't consistent. It went up and down in pitch a touch and drove me nuts. The Zalman did a nice job for that.

When I subbed in the 6800 Ultra I didn't notice much change except before the driver loads upon boot.

B

Ice Nine
07-08-04, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I have the same basic things in my PC. I have a Thermaltake 480W P/S cranked to the lowest setting, 2 120MM case fans, a Zalman cereal bowl, etc etc with a 3.4ghz P4 rig. I have all fans cranked down to minimum with an Aerogate II and my PC with a 9800 Pro is nearly dead silent. I hear the fridge running 2 rooms away before I hear my PC, and my temps are case 91 cpu 95 at idle, and not much higher when running full tilt.

I hate noise, and it's clearly a big problem with today's GPU if the fans are any indication. The x800xt PE I had for a short time (it fried) was "Bearable" but noticable when running 3d apps but totally silent when idle. I'm hoping the same is true with the 6800U.

So many people take a quiet PC for granted, but I really believe that PC's should be both unseen and unheard :) I love a fast machine, but I think it's a big ole P.O.S. if it requires 3 million CFM worth of airflow to cool down.

Rytr
07-08-04, 06:53 PM
Quote: "So many people take a quiet PC for granted, but I really believe that PC's should be both unseen and unheard I love a fast machine, but I think it's a big ole P.O.S. if it requires 3 million CFM worth of airflow to cool down."

Put your pc in the fridge or wait till Zalman comes out with a passive cooling solution. J/K on the fridge, but it has been done. In the meantime you are going to have a minimum of 6 fans running on a system that would be considered a fast machine. Maybe water cooling is an option?

NAZCA M12
07-08-04, 07:01 PM
So, does anybody know when the hell we're gonna see a custom made cooling solution on the ultra (like the one that MSI has done to its previous models)? I've been waiting so long to see a more silent solution that does not follow the reference design but...Is that MSI custom cooling still on? I don't want to use a water cooling block and i'm getting incredibly pissed now, i want to buy the ultra, but that fan puts me off, so i'm leaning towards a GT just for the (less?) noise.

Clay
07-08-04, 07:10 PM
Slightly off topic but not too far IMO...

I'm benching a 6800UOC and an ATI X800XT PE. The ATI card is quieter than the NV but not drastically as the 6800 is basically drowned out by my case fans and PSU. At any rate, my observation/question is that the ATI sometimes a slight high pitched squealy noise. It's not loud, but noticeable...kind of like how termites can sound. This is with the latest Cat 4.7 drivers. I notice the sound mainly in 3DMark03 (as well as some texture corruption in the Troll's Lair section).

Moot
07-08-04, 10:59 PM
The noise of the new cards has been one of my biggest concerns. I like galaxies glacier 6800. Prolem is I kind of wanted a GT.... Anyone know were to buy galaxy stuff if you live in Canada. Secondly does anyone know who else plans on making quite 6800 and 6800 GT’s?

Ice Nine
07-09-04, 07:10 AM
Quote: "So many people take a quiet PC for granted, but I really believe that PC's should be both unseen and unheard I love a fast machine, but I think it's a big ole P.O.S. if it requires 3 million CFM worth of airflow to cool down."

Put your pc in the fridge or wait till Zalman comes out with a passive cooling solution. J/K on the fridge, but it has been done. In the meantime you are going to have a minimum of 6 fans running on a system that would be considered a fast machine. Maybe water cooling is an option?

Water cooling doesn't need to be an option as long as the fans spin slow enough to be quiet. I have 5 fans in here already (http://www.weckstrom.com/perf) (2 on the PS, 2 for the case, one for the CPU) and I can't hear any of them since they're all cranked down to the minimum. Temps aren't a problem at all since I'm not overclocking.

The only unknown here is the 6800 Ultra. After the 5800 leafblower fiasco, the 6800 just has me nervous. That's all.

brentsg
07-09-04, 08:27 AM
Well, the 6800 Ultra is NOTHING compared to the noise of the 5800. I now have my friends Dell sitting here for repairs and it completely drowns out my high-end PC with the 6800 Ultra in it.

B

scott123
07-09-04, 08:29 AM
it is pretty loud... Loud enough to dwarf the rest of my system... :(

Something wrong with your card. I don't hear mine (mag)

Goth
07-09-04, 08:45 AM
I have 4 80MM case fans running in my system, so I can't really hear the card