PDA

View Full Version : Crytek's engine: Truly amazing

Intel17
07-06-04, 05:28 PM
Ok, I'd like to start of saying that you guys know before I had this "Far Cry is teh suxors" attitude. Well when I let my fanboyism aside I for once noticed how good FarCry and its developers are from a technological standpoint (plus its good gameplay as well).

Ok, After only a few months, we've seen the CryEngine progress rapidly. When It was released, it fully took advantage of our cards, providing the new benchmark in the industry for a while. Then a few months later, we found out that there was Offset mapping in Far Cry. Now that was cool! We thought features like that wouldnt be out until Unreal Engine 3. Then guess what? Crytek manages to impliment Shader model 3.0 in only a few short weeks, giving major boosts to NV40 cards. Next we're going to see High Dynamic Range lighting! Even Half Life 2 doesnt impliment this as well as Far Cry, and is nowhere to be seen in Doom 3. Far Cry also has per pixel lighting like doom 3 as well!

Crytek has done an amazing job for a first time developer and I hope to see them release other quality game/engines.

WeReWoLf
07-06-04, 05:39 PM
Hear Hear! And this from a DOOM 3 Fanboy! lol... j/k... kidding aside, i'm about as astounded as you are. For a first time developer, they sure are showing up the big boys.

Intel17
07-06-04, 05:41 PM
Yup! I mean, if john carmack wants to f*** around with rockets, people like crytek are going to kick his arse!

Bad_Boy
07-06-04, 11:26 PM
so how do you go from

Crytek and their engine suck ass. Half life 2 looks wayy better than Fart Cry
+
I hate Far Cry's engine really. Its a bunch of hacks, and then all the reviewers are like "oMg this GamEs EnGiNe SmOkEs HaLf LiFe 2 and DoOM 3 !"

+
All crytek is doing is bloating up their software to run only on new stuff. Developers like Valve and id software are much better because their stuff looks better than the crap err cryengine and they focus on making the experience good for everyone, not just people with 6800's. Im sure if carmack wanted to he could without a doubt add those features into the current doom renderer. And Half life 2 already uses HDR but it will work on 9800's.

to

Crytek has done an amazing job

:retard: :retard: :retard:

pat777
07-06-04, 11:41 PM
Far Cry is the main reason I can wait this long for HL2, Doom 3, and STALKER to come out. BattleField: Vietnam helps the waiting too.

anzak
07-06-04, 11:49 PM
I 2nd what bad boy said.

pat777
07-06-04, 11:59 PM
Yup! I mean, if john carmack wants to f*** around with rockets, people like crytek are going to kick his arse!
Speaking of space.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/mars_rover.html
I'm sure Carmack is interested in that.

MUYA
07-07-04, 12:57 AM
so how do you go from

+

+

to

:retard: :retard: :retard:
he realises the error of his ways???

Edge
07-07-04, 01:05 AM
In addition to what Bad Boy said, I also love the way that he compared a game that is out and has been out since the begining of the year to games that don't even have release dates...are we allowed to say that Doom 3, Half-life 2, and Stalker look like absolute garbage since Unreal Engine 3 looks so much better? Just gets confusing when people change their opinions so rapidly...especially when it's for seemingly no reason. But eh, whatever, I'm sure when I get my shiny new 6800 card in a few months I'll be more than happy with Farcry's graphics by then. Displacement mapping looks so damn good...

jAkUp
07-07-04, 02:20 AM
Ok Time for a featureset comparison:

Doom 3
-Unified Lighting Model
-100% dynamic, real time lighting
- Self-Shadowing
-Stencil Shadows everywhere.
-Per-Pixel lighting model
-Normal Mapping
-Per-Poly Physics
-Fragment Shader support
-Pretty long draw distance

FarCry
-Dynamic lighting in some areas
-Stencil shadows on some characters
-Per Pixel lighting indoors
-Normal Mapping
-Pixel Shader support
-Havok physics
-Long Draw distance

Nice features the doom3 engine has :)

Intel17
07-07-04, 08:05 AM
I take it you visit the planetdoom forums eh? I forgot to put HDR and SM3.0 and VDM on that list, however, lol

And yes I realized that blind fanboysim sucks.

PenguinJim
07-07-04, 08:46 PM
What? No way! No-one should ever be allowed to change their opinions ever! :mad:

Just kidding ;). Glad you've seen the light. Now how about some apologies, eh? :thumbsup:

sytaylor
07-08-04, 02:09 AM
The Shadow arts minister hath spoken :p

ElderDruid
07-08-04, 08:12 AM
Just imagine what CryTek has in store for us next. I'm sure it will rock. :headbang: Of course, we probably won't see it before Longhorn debuts.

sytaylor
07-08-04, 08:53 AM
Just imagine what CryTek has in store for us next. I'm sure it will rock. :headbang: Of course, we probably won't see it before Longhorn debuts.

Or Quake 4 for that matter...

svetli_pp
07-08-04, 11:29 AM
I've played through FarCry with great enjoyment, and I like its graphics but don't think it has lasting appeal. For me FarCry is already in the past, and I'm now waiting for Doom3 and HL2 and hope they will offer better longevity. And another thing I want to mention - I like Thief 3 more than FarCry. You almost dont have time to look at graphics when you play it. It has wonderful story and gameplay. So technology is not everything. :)

ElderDruid
07-08-04, 11:31 AM
I've played through FarCry with great enjoyment, and I like its graphics but don't think it has lasting appeal. For me FarCry is already in the past, and I'm now waiting for Doom3 and HL2 and hope they will offer better longevity. And another thing I want to mention - I like Thief 3 more than FarCry. You almost dont have time to look at graphics when you play it. It has wonderful story and gameplay. So technology is not everything. :)

I agree that Thief 3 was incredible. I couldn't stop playing, and I solved it in under a week.

Intel17
07-08-04, 06:58 PM
Sorry guys for all the bullsh*t threads i've made!

(for the record, I think Doom 3 looks better than far cry though, but far cry is still amazing :) )