PDA

View Full Version : Uninstallation of ATI drivers

ChemOp
07-06-04, 07:44 PM
Hey Guys,
I am expecting my new BFG 6800GT from BB tomorrow. I got in on the $299 deal. Right now I have a 9700 PRO. How would I go about getting the drivers totally uninstalled to put in the NVIDIA drivers? I have upgraded to Direct X 9.0C. What would be the best way to get rid of the ATI drivers so there are no conflicts. Also which drivers for the NVIDIA are recommended for the GT? Thanks all in advance.

SLippe
07-06-04, 08:09 PM
You should be able to uninstall the drivers by rebooting in Safe Mode, then going under Add/Remove Programs...look for ATI Drivers removal in there. Since you already have DX9.0c, get the 61.71's!

Raptorman
07-06-04, 08:25 PM
Or you could quickly install the Omega drivers, and use "Driver Cleaner Omega Edition" to get rid of all your ATi files.

saturnotaku
07-07-04, 12:11 AM
Or you could quickly install the Omega drivers, and use "Driver Cleaner Omega Edition" to get rid of all your ATi files.

Or he could just download and use the standalone version of Driver Cleaner. I've found it to work wonders for ATI drivers...not so much with NVIDIA (standard boot into safe mode and add/remove programs always works).

But if you really want to ensure that your drivers are completely clean, just bite the bullet and reformat. It's the only way to be 100% sure that your system is free from other drivers. Plus you can use the clean format to install Windows XP SP2 RC2 with DirectX 9c. :D

Mithan
07-07-04, 12:21 AM
Via Control Panel:
-Remove the drivers

-Reboot in safemode (F8)

-Go to windows/system32, delete all atixxxxx.xxx files
-Go to windows/system32/drivers/ delete all ati files again

-Use RegSupreme or something to fix the registry.

Reboot, install your NVDrivers.

nVidiaGuru
07-07-04, 02:15 AM
DriverCleaner is the easiest way
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

uninstall from "add/remove programs"
reboot into safemode
Start up Driver Celaner and select ATI from the drop down box and hit clean

zoomy942
07-07-04, 06:12 AM
Or he could just download and use the standalone version of Driver Cleaner. I've found it to work wonders for ATI drivers...not so much with NVIDIA (standard boot into safe mode and add/remove programs always works).

But if you really want to ensure that your drivers are completely clean, just bite the bullet and reformat. It's the only way to be 100% sure that your system is free from other drivers. Plus you can use the clean format to install Windows XP SP2 RC2 with DirectX 9c. :D

true. i just got a 9800 pro and i had nvidia before... i wanted to be sure it was a clean setup. so i reformatted

SmuvMoney
07-08-04, 12:08 AM
You can also use the ATI Catalyst Uninstaller, found here: http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html . I use that to uninstall my drivers, then I reboot and install the new one.