PDA

View Full Version : BFG OC Watercooled - 470 mhz

sancheuz
07-07-04, 08:13 AM
Hello,
Bfg is shipping 6800 ultra with a waterblock for those who are liquid cooled. The core comes stock at 470 mhz, with lifetime warranty. MSRP 600 dollars. I thinks this is better than gainward. This sucker is mine.
http://www.bfgtech.com/

MUYA
07-07-04, 08:23 AM
yeah there was a PR Release splashed on the front page a few weeks back about BFG's range of cards. Thanks for bring old news up again. The difference between Gainwards and BFG's solution is that Gainward includes a wc setup. The BFG only includes a GPU water block.

mustang
07-07-04, 11:40 AM
For what it's worth, BFG is trickling these out just like all the other companies. It's just that everyone is subject to delays due to Nvidia/IBM production problems. At least the BFG card will be available in the USA. Another post I saw suggested that the water cooled Gainward card may not be available in North America at all. Anyone wanting one of the more exotic "extreme" versions such as these must get on a preorder list and be patient. A person who will only settle for the water cooled card can research installation and parts needed to get one going, but do you want to spend the additional $200 (estimated minimum) for parts and be committed to wait as long as needed? :)

TheTaz
07-07-04, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure if I want one of these beasts. Especially with the PS requirement.

I'm thinking of going with a GT and either the Danger Den Block, or a Koolance block for my Exos. It just seems to make more sense "bang-for-buck" wise.

Of course, I'm not expecting as radical of an OC the GT, either, so the PS requirement shouldn't be as bad, and I should get a good OC off one Molex.

Regards,

Taz

sancheuz
07-07-04, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure if I want one of these beasts. Especially with the PS requirement.

I'm thinking of going with a GT and either the Danger Den Block, or a Koolance block for my Exos. It just seems to make more sense "bang-for-buck" wise.

Of course, I'm not expecting as radical of an OC the GT, either, so the PS requirement shouldn't be as bad, and I should get a good OC off one Molex.

Regards,

Taz
Understood, but, this bfg card comes overclocked to 470 with lifetime warranty at that speed. You could probably spend 500 dollars on a regular card 90 dollars on the danger den, and oc the hell out of it, but w/out warranty. I'd spend those extra 10 dollars for quality and peace of mind.

revbatboy
07-07-04, 02:24 PM
Understood, but, this bfg card comes overclocked to 470 with lifetime warranty at that speed. You could probably spend 500 dollars on a regular card 90 dollars on the danger den, and oc the hell out of it, but w/out warranty. I'd spend those extra 10 dollars for quality and peace of mind.

Really good point!

mustang
07-07-04, 03:52 PM
By the way, sancheuz, I've had the BFG Ultra OC WC on order for several weeks now and am happy to wait for it. All my water cooling components are on order. If my BFG order would never be filled, I'll have the water cooling system for the next PC I put together. Nothing lost in being prepared as far as I'm concerned.

Go to the eVGA.com forums and look for a couple of threads started by JKramer. He is one of the first to get the BFG water cooled card and has it installed. Test reports will follow soon, but his install experiences are interesting. :)

Waffles
07-07-04, 04:03 PM
This is from JKramer as posted on eVGA's forums:

"Well as I said last week I got the card on Thursday. Installation was a bit difficult as my cooling system didn't have the same size hoses and the converter that is included in the kit doesn't directly convert the attachments on the waterblock but rather it is just a reducer to be used between a small bit of the 3/8 ID hose and the 1/4 ID hose. So, After going out and getting a small big of smaller hosing I was able to couple the card to my system. The reducers that came with the card are metal and since you have to put a piece of hose in between the reducer and the card that means there is a large metal object bouncing around on the PCI slot near much too close to the video card itself for my liking. Instead of just assuming it would be ok I took them back off and headed to True Value Hardware to pick up some teflon reducers. Once those were on and clamped in place I did a leak test for awhile and everything looked good.

I reinstalled the OS (windows XP pro) and updated all the drivers in normal fashion and loaded the video driver last. I then loaded 3dmark2003 and ran it at stock system speed and I got an initial score of 12808! Wow, that was huge but benchmarking isn't the important part, time to see how it really preforms. I loaded FarCry and played it, awful. The lighting was off, textures looked just ****py I was really disappointed. Then I remembered there was a patch for it, I went to the FarCry site and downloaded the patch. Reboot, cranked up all the settings as high as they would go and tried it again. All I can say is words can not express the awe, this card is just amazing, the detail, the lighting, everything just perfect. My parents were there for the 4th and neither one of them are at all interested in either computers or games but they both sat there watching me play just amazed at the graphics.

This is the system I'm running:

P4 3.0 Prescott (at 3.8GHz)
P4C800-E Deluxe (1GHz FSB)
1048 OCZ PC4000 RAM (500 DDR)
BFG Nvidia 6800 Ultra
2 x Seagate 160G 7200RPM SATA (Raid 0)
Lite-On Combo DVD/CD Player CDRW
Pioneer DVD 8x Burner
Watercooling system dual pump, 1/2 ID tubing, Danger Den RBX Waterblock, Koolance harddrive cooler, Danger Den Maze Northbridge cooler, Heater core radiator with 2 80mm fans blowing through it and 2 80mm fans blowing out. I also have 3 SilenX fans providing normal case ventilation.

Now since I put the system back to its overclocked state I haven't run the 3Dmar2003 again yet but I'm hoping to break the 15k mark. I had a voltage regulator burn out on the card that powers the second pump. I am taking this opportunity to upgrade that to a manual controled system with more temperuature monitors and fan speed controlers. After I get that up and running I'll run the benchmarks again and supply benchmarks for the games too."