PDA

View Full Version : opengl games crashing

lognoronon
07-07-04, 07:26 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum but it's in regards to opengl games. My specs are in my sig. I'm using the 61.36 drivers (have tried 4 different sets) and I have sp 2 rc2 installed. All of my opengl games (4 of them)keep crashing on me before they even load. All of my d3d games work flawlessly. They worked on a radeon 9600xt just fine. Any ideas as to what the problem is would be welcomed.

lognoronon
07-09-04, 01:09 AM
Anyone?

Smokey
07-09-04, 04:54 AM
Do you format before installing your new videocard?

lognoronon
07-09-04, 11:48 AM
It's the drivers though. Other people have the problem and it's only with the 6xxx series. The 5xxx series worked fine on my 5600. I only put in the radeon 9600 afterwards to test out if I was having the same problem and it worked fine.
Something is screwy with the 6xxx drivers and open gl.

Clay
07-09-04, 11:54 AM
There still are no WHQL'd 6xxx series drivers, so keep that in mind. We should see some soon, I hope.

Arioch
07-09-04, 01:24 PM
Well unfortunately that is the price we pay for having the latest and greatest video card. I am fully confident that these issues will get ironed out in due time. I feel your pain as a X800XT PE owner as I am experiencing a few minor bugs in games like Far Cry and Painkiller that only affect the X800 series in ATI's lineup.

lognoronon
07-09-04, 01:31 PM
Well at least it has not been 3 months since the last official ati drivers.

Arioch
07-09-04, 02:49 PM
Well Nvidia's new card was more of a change in architecture from the previous generation than ATI's but hopefully they will fix the problems you are having soon.

:(

Clay
07-09-04, 02:50 PM
Well at least it has not been 3 months since the last official ati drivers.You have to take into consideration the fact that while the NV40 is a wildly different architecture than the NV3x was....ATI's R420 is only moderatly different than the R300. Given that fact (to anyone who can appreciate the complexity and time involved with programming at the driver/API level) it's clearly not an apples-to-apples comparison. :) Also, I'm curious about the FarCry rendering issues on ATI hardware. We just now have the new Cat 4.7s yet the texturing bug is as present as ever. I realize that there is some indication that the problem is not with the Cats but with FarCry itself. Still, it's a bit puzzling.

lognoronon
07-10-04, 04:55 AM
Well I keep on hearing how the 61.80's suck (including from friends) but guess what! They are the only drivers that support the gt that actually let me play open gl games. I should have installed these things earlier despite the bad things said about them. So until nvidia releases some official drivers it's 61.80 all the way.

karkrash81
07-12-04, 09:48 PM
I've been having similar problems. Whenever I change resolution or exit an openGL game my computer locks up. I'm using a BFG 6800 GT at stock speeds and have tried several driver versions. At first I thought it was a quake 3 engine problem but MDK2 locks up as well. I can only play at the standard resolution in games like Alice, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Return to Castle Wolfensteing, etc...

Well, some problems should be expected with a new generation of technology,
I'm surprised these types of problems are showing up. While openGL games aren't nearly as common as D3D games there are still quite a few high profile games utilizing openGL tech The list of quake 3 powered games alone is lengthy... it would seem that any graphics developer would want to support such a popular engine technology...

well at least i got plenty of D3D games to play for now...haha

-=DVS=-
07-12-04, 10:14 PM
lognoronon
Well what OpenGL games do you play , might be problem with games it self.

lognoronon
07-13-04, 01:30 AM
Well things are working with the 61.80's but city of heroes has some issues with it and I'm pretty sure it's driver related since it was fine on my 5600. All of the quake 3 engined games had issues. Never Winter Nights locks up as well. The problem I had with the quake 3 games was that they would either lock up when I changed resolutions or they would lock up before even loading. I'm hoping things get resolved with the next official release but who knows when that will be (been 3 months already since the last official release).

karkrash81
07-13-04, 07:42 AM
It seems a lot of the problems occur when trying to change the resolution of the game...

I wonder if there is some type of config files for the Open GL games (quake 3 engine games) that will let you set the resolution before starting the game up. I could have sworn that there was a file like this but most of the quake 3 games only let you map keys in the config files...i didn't see a way to set the resolution.