PDA

View Full Version : bfg 6800gt 415mhz core max?

ForeverUnknown
07-07-04, 11:17 PM
when if go over 415 on the core, 3d apps freeze after a minutes of running. i know it's not the temp because temps are the same when it's running 415mhz and when it's like 418 or 420. just 418 will freeze. do this mean that's all my core can do? or is there somehting i can tweak

rewt
07-07-04, 11:20 PM
it freezing because its not getting the proper voltage for that core speed. two choices, 1) bring core clocks down 2) volt-mod

Of course a hardware volt-mod will void your lifetime warranty, so I wouldn't recommend it.

ForeverUnknown
07-07-04, 11:21 PM
would pushing the agp volt to 1.6 in the bios help without raising temps too much?

rewt
07-07-04, 11:25 PM
AGP voltage has nothing to do with core voltage, so it won't make a difference on your card o/c value. Only reason you should bring up AGP voltage is if you have overclocked the FSB by a great margin, to provide sufficient voltage to the AGP Bus.

ForeverUnknown
07-07-04, 11:26 PM
AGP voltage has nothing to do with core voltage, so it won't make a difference on your card o/c value. Only reason you should bring up AGP voltage is if you have overclocked the FSB by a great margin, to provide sufficient voltage to the AGP Bus.

ok thanks. i was never sure what that was for

rewt
07-07-04, 11:28 PM
you're welcome. have fun with your new card! :)

Gogeta
07-08-04, 12:57 AM
damn, your already past Ultra speeds. Be happy and STFU.

ForeverUnknown
07-08-04, 01:11 AM
lol but i want MORE!

combat_wombat
07-08-04, 01:13 AM
be thankful for that, my BFG wouldn't do past 385 without showing artifacts on the tortoise in 3dmark 03

course I sent that card back :)

rewt
07-08-04, 01:22 AM
Sounds like that one was a dud :( It happens ever so often. Also BFG cards seem to run better after they design their own coolers. I believe most 6800 that are available now have the reference coolers, which aren't bad, but IMO their not as good as BFG design. Expect them to design their own cooler sometime in the future.

evilchris
07-08-04, 01:26 AM
They never did for the 5950....

rewt
07-08-04, 01:28 AM
They never did for the 5950....

Actually, yes they did. It was a very similar cooler as on my card, only it had a heatpipe to cool the memory on the backside.

Now that I think about it, BFG has some 6800 cards without reference design coolers, but they are waterblocks. However, I'm not sure if that waterblock was designed by BFG.

evilchris
07-08-04, 01:31 AM
Odd. I bought one 5 months after launch and it was reference.

ForeverUnknown
07-08-04, 01:36 AM
Odd. I bought one 5 months after launch and it was reference.

maybe you just got stuck with an old one what no one bought

npras42
07-08-04, 06:48 AM
it freezing because its not getting the proper voltage for that core speed. two choices, 1) bring core clocks down 2) volt-mod

Of course a hardware volt-mod will void your lifetime warranty, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Would buying a more powerful power-supply help? I have had almost exactly the same problems, but I wasn't sure about the temps.

I have seen this question posted many times but no-one seems to be able to give a proper answer: How high can the temps go? When I run rthdribl_1_2 for a few minutes, the highest temp recorded by the NVidia control panel is 85. Im guessing that that isnt too high. I mean its not exactly cool but it shouldn't crash at that temp, should it?

However, if I leave it a few more minutes, the temp stays the same but it crashes.

Anyway, I have a Thermaltake 480W SilentPower PSU. Could I get anything better and what?

rewt
07-08-04, 07:42 AM
No I don't believe another power supply will help. However, it is possible if your system is sucking up so much juice that the graphics card isn't getting enough. But generally, running the card a few extra Mhz isn't going to suck up all the power from your 480W PSU. The freezing problem (when overclocked) almost always comes from insufficient voltage from the resistors on the PCB, not insufficient voltage from the PSU. Although it can happen it does not seem as likely for the PSU to be at fault here.

npras42
07-08-04, 07:47 AM
OK, cheers.

Is there any reason why mine would be different to anyone elses though. I mean people here with BFG and other cards (I have an XFX 6800GT) are getting much higher clock speeds. Have they just lucked-out with a card that supplies more voltage?

Lfctony
07-08-04, 07:49 AM
I believe the 6800 Ultra that is shipped operates at 425/1100 instead of 400/1100, in 3D mode. Many users have mentioned it about their cards, mine does that as well.

randsom
07-08-04, 07:51 AM
Would buying a more powerful power-supply help? I have had almost exactly the same problems, but I wasn't sure about the temps.

I have seen this question posted many times but no-one seems to be able to give a proper answer: How high can the temps go? When I run rthdribl_1_2 for a few minutes, the highest temp recorded by the NVidia control panel is 85. Im guessing that that isnt too high. I mean its not exactly cool but it shouldn't crash at that temp, should it?

However, if I leave it a few more minutes, the temp stays the same but it crashes.

Anyway, I have a Thermaltake 480W SilentPower PSU. Could I get anything better and what?

are you running youre cpu at stock speeds, or are you ocing

youre power supply question
that would only help if youre 12 and 5 volt rails, are fluctuating wildly

PaiN
07-08-04, 08:00 AM

Unless you have a monster power draw...that PSU should be more than enough.
I don't have the exact numbers but, I believe 85 is Ok according to NV

npras42
07-08-04, 08:05 AM
are you running youre cpu at stock speeds, or are you ocing

youre power supply question
that would only help if youre 12 and 5 volt rails, are fluctuating wildly

No. My CPU is a AMD Athlon64 3200+ 2.0GHz (Clawhammer with 1MB cache) running at 2.42GHz on a 1.7Vcore.

I just ran Asus PCProbe and checked out how my 12, 5, 3.3V rails changed with load and non-load. The 5V is at 5.08 always. 3.3V is at 3.376V always. The 12V rail fluctuates between 11.12 and 11.76 continuously.

The only other components in my PC are 2HDs, one DVD/CD-R drive, and SB Audigy2 ZS. My mobo is Asus K8V SE Deluxe. I have 512MB ram at 200MHz, 2.5CL.

saturnotaku
07-08-04, 08:38 AM
The 12V rail fluctuates between 11.12 and 11.76 continuously.

Even though 415 out of the core is a pretty decent overclock, the fact that your +12v goes down that far is something I would be concerned about. The typical "margin of error" so to speak with power supplies is 5 percent either below or above 12v. 11.12 is a more than 7 percent deviation.

npras42
07-08-04, 08:45 AM
Even though 415 out of the core is a pretty decent overclock, the fact that your +12v goes down that far is something I would be concerned about. The typical "margin of error" so to speak with power supplies is 5 percent either below or above 12v. 11.12 is a more than 7 percent deviation.

Woops. I meant 11.712 not 11.12. My keyboard has a bit of a dodgy 7 key.

grimreefer
07-08-04, 10:46 AM
try to attach the fan on the card directly to the powersupply(u need some type of adapter)
it would allow more power to go to the core
or u could get a zalman cooler and vantec spectrum card cooler and zmop1
to give low temps to prevent throttliong at high clock speeds and provide more volts to the core