PDA

View Full Version : How safe is overclocking?

Ramsey
07-07-04, 11:46 PM
I am wondering how safe is overclocking your video card? If you overclock and something goes wrong is it easy for the manufacturer to know that you overclocked, therefore voiding your warranty? My last card I had was an ATI 9700 Pro. I overclocked that card a little bit and it was running fine up until a couple months ago. I just RMA'ed that card about two weeks ago and haven't heard athing back from ATI yet. I just got a BFG 6800 GT a week ago and I am loving it so far. I haven't overclocked it yet in fear that something might go wrong and BFG won't warranty it because of the overclock. If that where to happen I would be out of a video card for a long time because it took forever to save up the $400 to get the 6800 GT. Have any of you RMA'ed any cards that you overclocked and still got the service done to them? I guess I just need to know if overclocking the video card is worth it or not. Sorry this is long.

rewt
07-07-04, 11:50 PM
BFG cards usually handle massive overclock levels, even on stock cooling. Yes o/c will supposedly void your warranty, BUT I can say that I've seen people burn up their 5900NU cards with bios flashes and all... And BFG still sent them a brand new 5900U, a better card, 4 days later. Now thats warranty if you ask me! :clap:

SH64
07-08-04, 12:02 AM
O/C is worth it only if you seriously care about performance . otherwise i dont recommend it .

since you got a new video card i'd say wait for a while then start tinkering with it .
& always get better cooling before starting o/c . you dont need to RMA a video card that you desired to get the first place afterall!

Rytr
07-08-04, 12:07 AM
No, it's not safe. You always chance damaging something when trying to overclock. The safest is to use the 'Auto' overclock provided, once activated by Coolbits2 on 6800 series cards.
In overclocking manually it's best to use small increments and test it thoroughly before proceeding further. Always watch for excessive temperature buildup.

combat_wombat
07-08-04, 12:34 AM
what in hell is coolbits2? dword CoolBits and value set to 3 is how you get the clock frequency options in the nvidia control panel

Clay
07-08-04, 12:35 AM
what in hell is coolbits2? dword CoolBits and value set to 3 is how you get the clock frequency options in the nvidia control panel
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29541&highlight=coolbits2

rewt
07-08-04, 12:38 AM

True, coolbits is just a reg value but its also the name of the tweak. So I made coolbits2 which has much more than the just the O/C page. Please see here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29541).

*edit - thanks Clay, I see you already pointed him in the right direction :)

evilchris
07-08-04, 12:44 AM
No, it's not safe. You always chance damaging something when trying to overclock. The safest is to use the 'Auto' overclock provided, once activated by Coolbits2 on 6800 series cards.
In overclocking manually it's best to use small increments and test it thoroughly before proceeding further. Always watch for excessive temperature buildup.

Auto locked my system up :P I manually overclocks, and higher than auto suggested, and all is well!

anzak
07-08-04, 02:06 AM
Proper cooling is also important. If you case does not have good ventilation then your card will "suffocate". There are three ways to fix this.

1. Buy a whole new case which supports more fans
2. Buy a higher RPM fan which sounds like a tornado
3. Rip a hole in the front of you case and an extra (quiet) fan.

Since I didnt have the money for option one and option two created to much noise I went with option 3 (I have attached a pic)

BFG GT OC @ ultra went from 91c to 79c load.

I plan to finish my "mod" tomorrow because right now I need sleep.

edisonwu
07-08-04, 08:25 AM
BUT I can say that I've seen people burn up their 5900NU cards with bios flashes and all... And BFG still sent them a brand new 5900U, a better card, 4 days later. Now thats warranty if you ask me! :clap:
It sounds nice. but there is no that song outside U.S.

GravY
07-08-04, 08:31 AM
if you start to see artifacts and other issues when Overclocked back it down by 10mhz or so, this should leave you in a safe place..

rickshobbies
07-08-04, 11:23 AM
What kind of performance boost in terms of game performance and fraps are you guys seeing overclocking the BFG 6800 GT?

I am trying to figure out if it's really helpful to do this in games or if it's just about getting higher test scores.

evilchris
07-08-04, 11:31 AM
What kind of performance boost in terms of game performance and fraps are you guys seeing overclocking the BFG 6800 GT?

I am trying to figure out if it's really helpful to do this in games or if it's just about getting higher test scores.

I don't think it's worth it. Here is a little Excel sheet I did overclocking my BFG GT a little bit:

Excel spreadsheet (http://members.cox.net/steeda/GT.xls)

I used 3DMark, but games like Farcry exhibit the same behavior in fraps as far as performance increases. You can't visually tell, only a benchmark tells you it's faster.

theultimo
07-08-04, 03:32 PM
Depending on what card it is, overclocking is nice on some (ti 4200 for instance.) I wouldn't touch the newer 6800's yet though :)

Only card Ive fried overclocking is a GF2MX, and it was overclocked about 75-100% faster then stock, with added fans/HS. It took a while for it to fry though, and considering I paid $80 for the card and had just about GF2 ultra speeds, i was a worthwile investment.

Rytr
07-08-04, 04:15 PM
I don't think it's worth it. Here is a little Excel sheet I did overclocking my BFG GT a little bit:

Excel spreadsheet (http://members.cox.net/steeda/GT.xls)

I used 3DMark, but games like Farcry exhibit the same behavior in fraps as far as performance increases. You can't visually tell, only a benchmark tells you it's faster.

I agree, overclocking is not that important with these new cards. However, you can buy a GT and overclock it to Ultra timings. You are lucky to get an average of 10 FPS, usually less, in games.

Rytr
07-08-04, 04:16 PM
True, coolbits is just a reg value but its also the name of the tweak. So I made coolbits2 which has much more than the just the O/C page. Please see here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29541).

*edit - thanks Clay, I see you already pointed him in the right direction :)

Sorry, I should thank you for providing coolbits2. :cool: