PDA

View Full Version : I am convinced that I should NOT to return my GeForce 6800 GT

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

JGene
07-08-04, 02:15 AM
I just got my BFG GeForce 6800 GT in the mail today and I simply cannot get it to work at 1368x768 @ 60Hz without running pan & scan mode. The EDID of my TV limits my resolution to 1280x1024, however that was never a problem with my old Radeon 8500. Are there any ways to force the latest Forceware drivers to not go into panning mode?

If not, then I'm returning my card and buying an x800...I am SERIOUSLY disappointed right now :lame:

Just to recap for those who want to skip directly to the end of this thread. I've tried:

1. The following drivers: 61.31, 61.45, 61.71, 61.72, 61.76, 61.76 official, 61.80, 61.01, 61.11
2. Created my own custom driver for my monitor with Power Strip
3. Created custom resolutions in Power Strip and Riva Tuner
4. Flashed the card to a Leadtek Ultra bios
5. Attempted to reflash the EDID information on my monitor (flash protected, no success)
6. Replaced registry keys with EDID information with my own home-grown EDID

I'm about out of ideas at the moment :cry:

Amuro
07-08-04, 02:20 AM
Why running at 1368x768?

JGene
07-08-04, 02:23 AM
That's the native resolution of my LCD TV. Anything less and it looks fuzzy.

MUYA
07-08-04, 02:30 AM
Try DVI cabling if u haven't already on your LCD. If that doesn't work then do what you want to do JGene. If you are not satisfied then return it.

JGene
07-08-04, 02:36 AM
I only have DVI, so that's what I use. I'm trying to figure out a way to get around the EDID information. I know in the Linux drivers there is an "IgnoreEDID" option which would allow me to get around my TV's handicap, but so far I haven't seen anything for Windows yet.

I really want this card to work - the GeForce 6800 series is a far better archiatecture than what ATi is using right now. That said, limiting the card's output resolution by the EDID is a deal-killer issue for me. I REALLY don't want to have to send this card back...somebody has to have a fix, yes?

sparkz
07-08-04, 02:38 AM
Try using RivaTuner and create a "custom monitor profile"

Amuro
07-08-04, 02:42 AM
If no one here has a fix, maybe you should try send an email to either nvidia or your card makder and ask them if they know how to get it to work before returning your card.

JGene
07-08-04, 02:45 AM
I tried creating a driver in Rivatuner, but I can't ever load their custom resolutions. Same thing happens with Powerstrip. Right now I'm generating custom resolutions via Forceware 61.71 drivers, but anything above 1280 gets me pan & scan mode :(

Edit: I use a BFG GeForce 6800 GT. Their website says they use nVIDIA reference drivers, so I imagine that if I had a question like that they would point me towards nVIDIA for an answer.

Anybody have a customer service e-mail for nVIDIA?

lightman
07-08-04, 04:44 AM
Anybody have a customer service e-mail for nVIDIA?

NV has no direct customer support :

From NV support page : http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html :

"If you are having a problem with any NVIDIA-based product, please contact either the PC or board manufacturer of your product. "

Therefore, email BFG.

euan
07-08-04, 05:39 AM
Tried powerstrip?

JGene
07-08-04, 05:59 AM
I haven't called BFG yet, but I have their telephone number. I'll try calling tomorrow after work.

1. PowerStrip + Radeon 8500 + Catalyst 3.10 drivers = Fully functional 1368x768@60Hz
2. PowerStrip/RivaTuner + GeForce 6800 GT + ForceWare 61.71 = 1368x768 Pan & Scan with a 1280x768 window. I've tried for 6 hours straight with the above combo and I still can't get it to work :(

I'm going to try the 61.80, 61.36 and 61.45 drivers and see if I can come up with a working set of drivers that can drive my TV.

JGene
07-08-04, 06:47 AM
OK, I tried the 61.36s, 61.45s, 61.76s and the 61.80s and each time, with or without Powerstrip, I always wind up with 1368x768 Pan & Scan with a 1280x768 window. I'm using a custom driver that was written by PowerStrip for my monitor.

Unless anybody has any other ideas, I don't know what else to say. I'll give BFG Tech a call tomorrow and maybe they can help me figure it out, but as far as I can tell the nVIDIA drivers are forcing all output resolutions greater than 1280x1024 to be resized to a 1280x1024/1280x768 window. But before you ask, yes I did try switching between the various scaling modes (Display Adapter Scaling, Centered Output, Monitor Scaling, Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling).

This is a total bummer. I thought I'd be able to happily play video games by now and I still can't even get my desktop resolution to match my old Radeon 8500 :( Any other ideas...maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Onde Pik
07-08-04, 06:56 AM
Get an x800

nutball
07-08-04, 07:04 AM
I only have DVI, so that's what I use. I'm trying to figure out a way to get around the EDID information. I know in the Linux drivers there is an "IgnoreEDID" option which would allow me to get around my TV's handicap, but so far I haven't seen anything for Windows yet.

I really want this card to work - the GeForce 6800 series is a far better archiatecture than what ATi is using right now. That said, limiting the card's output resolution by the EDID is a deal-killer issue for me. I REALLY don't want to have to send this card back...somebody has to have a fix, yes?

Isn't there a tickbox in the advanced display properties that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"?

JGene
07-08-04, 07:13 AM
Yes, but I have to check that box to begin with since 1368x768 is a non standard resolution. Nonetheless I'm still completely purplexed at the lengths this card and it's drivers will go through to ensure that I never go above 1280x1024...

CaptNKILL
07-08-04, 07:30 AM
Sorry if i missed this, but do you have drivers installed for your monitor? ie., in device manager, is the name displayed correctly (rather than default monitor)?

If not, then try to find a driver for it online. If it is detected, try to find an updated driver. And if you either have the newest one, or an update doesnt work, try forcing it to be detected as a default monitor (might require you to delete the existing driver file).

ronss
07-08-04, 07:42 AM
i tryed powerstrip on my bfg 6800gt, it did not work. ended up using coolbits to do the overclocking. never had a setting on any of my cards for the resolution you are looking for. can,t you run 1024x768

JGene
07-08-04, 07:50 AM
Yes, I have created a custom driver using Power Strip before and it did not change anything. This DID work on my ATi Radeon 8500, but it does NOT work on my new BFG GeForce 6800 GT.

PowerStrip does work when you update it to the most recent versions, however I still cannot get the Pan & Scan desktop to go away. PowerStrip and the nVIDIA drivers will generate the proper resolution however all I get is a 1280x768 window and I have to scroll left and right to see the rest of my desktop.

I know that there will not be any card out there that has my resolution supported out-of-the box. However I am worried that this is a driver issue and NO nVIDIA card would work for me if I cannot get this issue resolved. :(

Edit: Here's a thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=417193) on another forum with the exact same problem: nVIDIA follows the EDID information so strictly to that it prevents you from going out of the resolution bounds of what the monitor reports back.

Ice Nine
07-08-04, 10:01 AM
Create a custom resolution in Powerstrip. (edit: oops just saw you say that above.)

rewt
07-08-04, 10:12 AM
Sorry if i missed this, but do you have drivers installed for your monitor? ie., in device manager, is the name displayed correctly (rather than default monitor)?

Still waiting on your answer...

deckard
07-08-04, 10:16 AM
Why do you word your thread in such a smug, threatening manner as if everyone at NVNews is responsible for the problem you're having?
Anyway, I'm thinking your problem would be better addressed by a home theater forum since you're problem has nothing to do with games or general use of the card but a specific setup issue that most people here probably don't have experience with.

Some forums to try:
AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/)
Home Theater Forum (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/index.php)
Home Theater Spot (http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=)
Sound & Vision Forum (http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/idealbb/default.asp?sessionID=5041471EC7E54509991D07456572 66C6)

Here's an article that may be of some help. (http://www.caseserve.com/ht/custom_resolutions_on_hdtv.htm)

This article may not be (http://www.rageunderground.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000137) helpful but then again it might.

NightFire
07-08-04, 10:17 AM
Also, you may want to contact the manufacturer of the TV. Your problem may not be uncommon.

GravY
07-08-04, 10:55 AM
Get an x800

go away.

Gator
07-08-04, 11:04 AM
Get an x800
:rolleyes: :screwy:

Do you know for a fact, without a shadow of a doubt, 150% completely sure, that if JGene gets rid of his 6800GT and buys an X800 instead he will absolutely be able to use 1368x768 @ 60hz without pan&scan? Are you also so sure that the 6800GT can't do it? If you are not sure, then don't bother replying with "Get an X800" because you're not impressing anyone. :retard:

Arioch
07-08-04, 11:20 AM
Ok guys, starting a flame war isn't going to help him out here. I will also chime in that the home theater forums are a good place to get the information needed like those listed by deckard.