PDA

View Full Version : My BFG 6800 Ultra OC Overclocked

Jedi Rainman
07-08-04, 02:38 AM
I took my BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC and overclocked it a little more after finally getting Coolbits 2 to work correctly for me. Here are the results. Also, I did what Clay said below and turned up the ram to 1250MHz and my card is stable and I got even better results. (Thanks Clay :clap: ) I think that in the next couple of days that I might OC my A64 and try to reach that 10,000 in AM3.

2 Other things are happening that I still can't explain. First, my clock settings on my GPU are still OC'd, but everytime I do a restart of my system the memory clock sped drops back to 1.10 which is the default. Is there any way to prevent this from doing that? Second, when I OC'd my processor, Windows takes about 30 seconds to go through the load screen. Is that normal when OC'ing? I'll do more testing, tweaking, and OC'ing once I return from work. I am going to push this machine!

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2GHz (Clocked @ 2.367GHz)
BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 460MHz/1250MHz (With Air)
Nvidia Forceware 61.71

Clay
07-08-04, 02:42 AM
I took my BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC and overclocked it a little more after finally getting Coolbits to work correctly for me. Here are the results.

BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 460MHz/1.17GHz (With Air)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6824&stc=1
That looks nice! You might be able to get your mem up to 1.2 or 1.25 as I did since we have very similar setups. Good luck!

EngenZerO
07-08-04, 12:27 PM
wow... thats not bad. I can only get ~12500 with 3dMark03 on my setup whichi is similar to yours. I also have my BFG clocked at 450/1.2.

It must be the motherboard. I am using a MSi with the nVIDIA 250GB and you have a MSi with the Via K8T800. You also have the raided raptors where I have one raptor.

Jedi Rainman
07-08-04, 01:14 PM
wow... thats not bad. I can only get ~12500 with 3dMark03 on my setup whichi is similar to yours. I also have my BFG clocked at 450/1.2.

It must be the motherboard. I am using a MSi with the nVIDIA 250GB and you have a MSi with the Via K8T800. You also have the raided raptors where I have one raptor.

No, I don't even have my 2 - 74GB Raptor drives yet. There on there way though. All I have running at current time is a Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM and its full to the max and I got that score. Can't wait to see how much better my scores get with an OC'd processor and 2 Raptor drives.

Vagrant Zero
07-08-04, 01:19 PM
Raiding isn't really going to do anything short of bragging rights. Definitely nothing in games at least.

revbatboy
07-08-04, 01:22 PM
Raiding isn't really going to do anything short of bragging rights. Definitely nothing in games at least.

He will get faster loading times. Wont help his FPS though.

Vagrant Zero
07-08-04, 01:26 PM
Nope it won't even help loading times [in a few instances it even slows it down though that's within the margin of error]. Check out anandtech, they did a review of 2 74 raps in Raid 0. Well I already knew before then that Raid 0 was full of crap, surfing the storagereview forums will do that you.

Radi 0 = greater risk of data loss for no real performance improvements.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101

Jedi Rainman
07-08-04, 01:29 PM
Nope it won't even help loading times [in a few instances it even slows it down though that's within the margin of error]. Check out anandtech, they did a review of 2 74 raps in Raid 0. Well I already knew before then that Raid 0 was full of crap, surfing the storagereview forums will do that you.

Radi 0 = greater risk of data loss for no real performance improvements.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101

I will be running Raid 1

SignorSalad
07-08-04, 01:39 PM
He will get faster loading times. Wont help his FPS though.

His sig says Raid 1. He will actually get slower system performance with Raid 1 than no raid at all. He would have a complete backup of all his data at all times, which is a good thing.

Vagrant Zero
07-08-04, 01:54 PM
I will be running Raid 1

Ah that's what I get for posting right after I've woken up. :ORDER:

evilchris
07-08-04, 03:21 PM
His sig says Raid 1. He will actually get slower system performance with Raid 1 than no raid at all. He would have a complete backup of all his data at all times, which is a good thing.

RAID 1 read performance is higher than not using RAID. Write is slightly slower.

SignorSalad
07-08-04, 04:11 PM
RAID 1 read performance is higher than not using RAID. Write is slightly slower.

In theory this is true, but your post got me curious as to actual performance differences.

Here's a good article comparing read and write performance between RAID 0, RAID 1 and single disk:
http://tech-report.com/reviews/2004q2/chipset-raid/index.x?pg=3

The conclusions that are drawn in the middle of the article and again at the end is that there isn't much performance difference at all between single disk and RAID 1. So I was incorrect about system performance being slower. Although there was some CPU tests in that article. Some chipsets had higher CPU utilization using RAID over using a single drive, one had lower cpu utilization. So I guess depending on your mobo chipset, you could have lower overall system performance using RAID 1 over using a single drive.

evilchris
07-08-04, 04:16 PM
You will see it on "real" hardware RAID mostly. Most onboard PATA/SATA RAID chips don't do hardware XOR calculations, hence the rising CPU usage. Take your average Promise card and look at it. If it just has a little Promise chip and no other major components on it it isn't "real" hardware RAID for lack of a better explanation. All SCSI RAID controllers will have XOR onboard, onboard cache, etc. That's where you'll see RAID 1 reads smoke single drive.

None of the solutions in that link are considered hardware RAID.

mikechai
07-08-04, 07:59 PM
2 Other things are happening that I still can't explain. First, my clock settings on my GPU are still OC'd, but everytime I do a restart of my system the memory clock sped drops back to 1.10 which is the default. Is there any way to prevent this from doing that?

Try setting different clock speed for 2D and 3D. It may help.

Jedi Rainman
07-08-04, 10:51 PM
Under the Nvidia "Performance & Quality Settings" I set the "High Quality" to "High Performance" for better results and it worked.

I am going to say that until I upgrade to liquid cooling, this is my stopping point. Going any further will allow me to cook smores over my CPU and GPU. So far, my system is stable, and if I go any higher, I get the blue screen of death and a reset. I did manage, as you can see in the picture below, to break 70,000 in Aquamark3. :clap: Lastly, I can say that this is all air cooling. Any questions, feel free to ask and good luck Overclockers!

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2GHz @ 2.453GHz (223x11)

BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC 425/1100 @ 470/1260

Nvidia Forceware Driver 61.71

DirectX 9.0C