PDA

View Full Version : ATI vs nVidia Anisotropic Filtering

burningrave101
07-08-04, 12:04 PM
I dont know how many of you guys browse over in the other section so i thought i would post a link to my thread here.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31577

You can tell from the attached bar graphs that the X800's suffer almost no performance penalty from AF while the 6800's quickly start dropping as you go up the ladder.

Without AF the 6800GT and 6800u have a good lead on the X800Pro and X800XT PE every time. But as soon as you start cranking up the AF its all the 6800's can do to stay in the same boat.

What do you guys think is causing this? I would be interested to see the X800's performance with AF when you enable it in-game compared to when you enable it in the CP.

Arioch
07-08-04, 12:26 PM
I always leave my CP at application preference and set my AF and AA in game - Medium AA and using the Far Cry configuration I set the Texture Filter Quality to Trilinear and Anisotropic Filter Quality Level to 16.

This is on a X800XT PE card.

Pandora's Box
07-08-04, 12:33 PM
i think it would be a good idea if we could grab a far cry saved game from someone and have a x800 xt pe owner load it up at max possible settings with a fps counter. and then have a 6800 ultra owner do the same. then maybe the two could overclock the cards and do the test again.

evilchris
07-08-04, 12:35 PM
Make sure you turn on Trilinear optimizations when benching the 6800 though. ATI has theirs on by default. That's part of the reason ATI AF seems to have less of a hit. It's optimized. Reviewers then turned 6800 opts OFF for some reason and did an invalid comparison.

jbirney
07-08-04, 12:36 PM
Make sure you turn on Trilinear optimizations when benching the 6800 though. ATI has theirs on by default. That's part of the reason ATI AF seems to have less of a hit. It's optimized. Reviewers then turned 6800 opts OFF for some reason and did an invalid comparison.

Many recent reviewers have left it on and the same results are shown, bigger hit for NV than ATI for AF.

And do we really need another thread for this? There is already a 3 page thread linked over at B3D where some pausable resaons are given....

Edit:

Not trying to say its not valid but we have a thread pointing to a thread that points to another thread... I am seeing this in all the forums I go :)

evilchris
07-08-04, 12:39 PM
Same results are shown? Exact same %loss? Ok.

Arioch
07-08-04, 12:39 PM
To be honest if this swings one card's FPS a bit from one side to another I still expect to see both high end cards to be about equal at high resolutions with AA/AF applied. Any difference that is single digit percentage performance-wise I consider a "tie" in my book.

jbirney
07-08-04, 12:40 PM
Same results are shown? Exact same %loss? Ok.

The over all theme of the results are the same yes. The actuall numbers no. Again NV looses more than ATI weather optmizations are on or off... check out the recent PS3.0 in Farcry ET article on the main page...

Banko
07-08-04, 12:53 PM
Isn't ATi's AF lower quality though ?

jimmyjames123
07-08-04, 12:57 PM
Many recent reviewers have left it on and the same results are shown, bigger hit for NV than ATI for AF.

That's because ATI is using anisotropic filtering optimizations in addition to trilinear filtering optimizations by default on the X800 cards. The NV 6800 cards by default do not use anisotropic filtering optimizations, but use trilinear filtering optimizations. This could be one of the reasons why we see the performance disparity when AF is applied. Also, in general, ATI's AF algorithm is apparently a bit different from NV's AF algorithm, even though both are now angle-dependent.

burningrave101
07-08-04, 02:03 PM
Well i'm interested to see someone put up some benchmarks comparing an X800XT PE with AF enabled in CP to AF enabled in-game.

And then i would like to see some benchmarks comparing a 6800u to an X800XT PE with Anistropic Filtering optimizations turned on like it is on the X800's.

It just seems like to me that ATI is optimizing to hell and back with their AF because their X800XT PE is not able to beat a 6800u at 1600x1200 without AF enabled in any game that i've seen. The 6800u takes some decent 10-20 fps leads at 1600x1200 no AA no AF at times as well. And thats just in D3D. We wont even get started on OpenGL :).

OWA
07-08-04, 02:07 PM
And do we really need another thread for this? There is already a 3 page thread linked over at B3D where some pausable resaons are given....

Edit:

Not trying to say its not valid but we have a thread pointing to a thread that points to another thread... I am seeing this in all the forums I go :)
But we don't all visit the same places. This is the first thread I've seen on it and I'd prefer not to visit some sites.

Edit: Although, if it's going to start a flamefest I'm not sure I want it here. :)

burningrave101
07-08-04, 02:59 PM
That's because ATI is using anisotropic filtering optimizations in addition to trilinear filtering optimizations by default on the X800 cards. The NV 6800 cards by default do not use anisotropic filtering optimizations, but use trilinear filtering optimizations. This could be one of the reasons why we see the performance disparity when AF is applied. Also, in general, ATI's AF algorithm is apparently a bit different from NV's AF algorithm, even though both are now angle-dependent.

Someone just pointed out this review here -

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/farcry30_12.html

"Trilinear and anisotropic filtering optimizations were turned on for the GeForce graphics cards in order to match ATI’s High-Quality settings."

Their also saying that Anisotropic Filtering is ON by default for the 6800's. Most of you said that the AF optimizations for the 6800 were OFF by default. So which is it? Are the settings different in different driver sets? Which driver set has it OFF by default?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026280771#post1026280771

theultimo
07-08-04, 04:30 PM
Yesh....another thread about the AF paths ATI/nVidia take...

ChrisRay
07-08-04, 04:35 PM
Someone just pointed out this review here -

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/farcry30_12.html

"Trilinear and anisotropic filtering optimizations were turned on for the GeForce graphics cards in order to match ATI’s High-Quality settings."

Their also saying that Anisotropic Filtering is ON by default for the 6800's. Most of you said that the AF optimizations for the 6800 were OFF by default. So which is it? Are the settings different in different driver sets? Which driver set has it OFF by default?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026280771#post1026280771

Interesting. With my 61.45 and 61.71 drivers, they were off by default. I do know if you install over drivers, that have them enabled, They appear to be on by default. hm

evilchris
07-08-04, 04:41 PM
I just installed a brand new GT with 61.71. The default setting was Quality. ( Tri ON Af OFF.

burningrave101
07-08-04, 06:22 PM
Interesting. With my 61.45 and 61.71 drivers, they were off by default. I do know if you install over drivers, that have them enabled, They appear to be on by default. hm

I just got done installed the 61.71 drivers and had someone else look at their 61.80 drivers and it was OFF by default on both. I guess i'm just going to have to download 61.45 for myself to make sure.

Most likely Brent didn't run Driver Cleaner in safe mode and just installed over the old drivers which would then show it as being ON by default correct?

Does anyone know if it was off by default in the 61.34 drivers?