PDA

View Full Version : My BFG 6800 Ultra MINI review

jcossin
07-08-04, 07:38 PM
Well I got my BFG 6800 Ultra and $299 BFG 6800 GT today.

The Ultra was in the generic white box. The box was shrink wrapped. The static bag with the card had 3 stickers on it, 2 ripped under the non-ripped one. BFG had to open up these cards twice for some reason is what it seems!

I pulled out my ATI 9800XT and popped in the Ultra. The card is LONG. I had to move my hard drive to get it to fit. I have a 430W Enermax power supply.

I wiped my system, loaded Win XP Home, SP2 RC2, LAN driver, SB Audigy 2ZS driver, and 61.71 driver.

I loaded up Battlefield Vietnam. I set all options to highest at 1600x1200x32 with 16xAF and 2xAA and played a few rounds. All I can say is WOW! Huge improvement in fluidity and image quality over my ATI!!

I then ran the coolbits reg hack and cranked the clock up to 450 core, 1250 memory and reran BFV. NO GO. I get garbage flickers every so often. I then backed the memory down to 1100 (stock) and left the core at 450. I played a round of BFV and got one flicker of garbage within a 20 minute gameplay. Not too bad. I'll probably have to add some cooling if I want to keep the core there.

My next test will be to slowly crank the memory back up.

So far, I LOVE this card. I'm going to load up Joint Operations next!

It took me over 2 months of constant searching and waiting to get this card. I'm going to off my GT to a friend for $399 so I'll recoup $100 toward the Ultra price and I'll off my 9800XT on eBay.

For those of you waiting on Best Buy, hang in there! I ordered on 6/16.

mikechai
07-08-04, 07:44 PM
Congrats! So you are the lucky one that got the $299 GT. :envy:

Time to edit your sig ....

EngenZerO
07-08-04, 07:48 PM
i guess, BFG is removing the heatsink when they come with the card and using AS5 instead of the thermal goop from the manufacturing factory. or that is what the BFG rep on hard forums is saying.

Pandora's Box
07-08-04, 08:14 PM
that 430 watt enermax powersupply probably holding you back. what are the 12volt rails?

jcossin
07-08-04, 09:21 PM
OK, so I've been out of the nVidia world for awhile. I last had a GeForce 4 4600 probably 2 years ago.

What is the difference between the "Performance 3D" and "Standard 2D" drop down choices on the Clock Frequencies tab?

Currently the 2D choice is set to 425/1160 and the 3D is set to 450/1160 and everything seems to be rock solid.

I just played about an hour of Joint Operations with all settings maxed out at 1600x1200 with 2xAA and 8xAF and it was SUPER smooth!

So far I am SOOOOO impressed with the speed of the card and the quality of the drivers. I'll try some more games soon...

jcossin
07-08-04, 09:22 PM
i guess, BFG is removing the heatsink when they come with the card and using AS5 instead of the thermal goop from the manufacturing factory. or that is what the BFG rep on hard forums is saying.

That's very interesting! I can tell there is some goop on the memory chips, but I can't tell what it is. It is a grey color though, likc AS paste...

jAkUp
07-09-04, 02:41 AM
The 2d clockspeeds are just that... clockspeeds while you are in windows. Geforce cards now have seperate 3d/2d clocks

jcossin
07-09-04, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

So I have my Ultra set to 450 core, 1200 Memory after adding a fan to blow across the card and it seems solid, so who needs the Extreme! :)

What do you guys use to test graphics overclock stability? I used to load up a full bot match in Q3 Arena and let it run overnight. Any better tests than that?

stncttr908
07-09-04, 09:40 AM
You had to move your HDD eh? I was thinking that I was going to have to do that, since I have three in the cage directly in front of the AGP slot.

Clay
07-09-04, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

So I have my Ultra set to 450 core, 1200 Memory after adding a fan to blow across the card and it seems solid, so who needs the Extreme! :)

What do you guys use to test graphics overclock stability? I used to load up a full bot match in Q3 Arena and let it run overnight. Any better tests than that?

That Q3 botmatch test is good and still worth doing, here are some others that are a bit more demanding now.

- Loop through 3DMark03 a number of times
- Loop through some FarCry timedemo a number of times
- Sandra 2004 GPU burn in test

OWA
07-09-04, 09:46 AM
The mother nature test of 3DMark03 seems to be a good one for me when checking to see if I've overclocked the GT too far.

jcossin
07-09-04, 11:09 PM
Well I played Jedi Knight, Jedi Acadamy and it works great.

Then I tried the original Midtown Madness game and it is ALL messed up! When I drive through the city I get random solid color polygons all over the screen! I am using the 61.71 drivers. This is the first problem I've found. I have my card at stock speeds and it made no difference. I think it is a driver problem. :(

UPDATE: Forget this message. I grabbed the Midtown Madness game patch from Microsoft's site and the game plays flawlessly now with the 61.71 drivers and my card clocked to 450/1200! I'm happy again!!
:lol2: