PDA

View Full Version : 6800gt bfg oc Question?(about overclocking)

dewsky
07-08-04, 09:36 PM
I have just received my 6800gt bfg oc and was wondering if it is safer to automatically let the nvidia drivers auto detect a stable overclock or do it manually? and if i let it auto detect a stable overclock is there still a chance of burning out the card by letting nvidia find a stable overclock?
I need your guys opinion on what to do thanks

burningrave101
07-08-04, 10:14 PM
The "auto detect" in the nVidia drivers will be more conservative and thats what i would use if your new to overclocking. You dont have to worry about burning out the GPU because the 6800's will automatically downclock themselves if they get too hot.

JayrodTremonki
07-09-04, 05:50 AM
Just one thing, don't use the auto-detect right after boot if you're looking for a stable clock. Play a game for 10 minutes and let it heat up first, then go for the auto detect.

dewsky
07-09-04, 08:38 AM
Thank you I just heard of many reveiwers using the autodetect function and some were able to clock as high as 420/1100 with the auto so I thought this would be the much safer route. But I will go ahead run some games then use the auto detect and tell you how it goes. One more thing with the 6800 if they get too hot they automatically downclock? if so will it tell you when it downclocks or will you just have to check and see what the clock is thanks

saturnotaku
07-09-04, 08:46 AM
One more thing with the 6800 if they get too hot they automatically downclock? if so will it tell you when it downclocks or will you just have to check and see what the clock is thanks

The only time that happens is if the card is running above 110-120 degrees C. I've seen maybe 1 report of somebody's card that got to about 97 and I think he got it replaced. You shouldn't worry about the card automatically downclocking itself unless you received one that's defective.