PDA

View Full Version : Over Clocking Software Built into Nvidia Drivers?

gate1975mlm
07-09-04, 09:45 AM
Do Nvidia drivers have over clocking software built in or do you need to use something like coolbits?

rewt
07-09-04, 09:47 AM
Yes, coolbits enables the hidden overclocking tab in the nvidia driver. ;)

saturnotaku
Coolbits is built into the drivers, you just need the registry hack to enable it. Check the Forceware forums for more info.

DSC
You still need coolbits to unlock the overclocking, it's hidden away by default for a good reason.

gate1975mlm
07-09-04, 10:05 AM
Ok I installed the coolbits. But why does my screen go black for like a second when I click on the Geforce button for the settings. This also happens when I log on to my desktop. The screen goes black for like a second. Could it be because I am using a Geforce 3 TI 200? I was testing the over clocking with this card.I only overclocked it to 185! I am getting the BFG 6800 GT from Bestbuy next week i hope.

strk
07-09-04, 10:42 AM
Where can in download coolbits file at guru not working right now.

Clay
07-09-04, 10:46 AM
Where can in download coolbits file at guru not working right now.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29541&highlight=coolbits2

edisonwu
07-10-04, 05:07 AM
no.

dont use the NV inside over clock software. it cant push your clock much higher.

see if you can find the newest edition of PowerStrip

rewt
07-10-04, 05:14 AM
Or RivaTuner :) I also like that RivaTuner will force constant performance level. So it effectively disables throttling between 2d/3d speeds. I dunno if PowerStrip does that or not.

edisonwu
07-10-04, 05:37 AM
I got problems using the newest RivaTuner20RC15.

The o/c panel is locked.

edisonwu
07-10-04, 05:40 AM
the same problems with NVHardPage,

NVHardPage fail with detection clock of memory and core.

rewt
07-10-04, 06:04 AM
I got problems using the newest RivaTuner20RC15.

The o/c panel is locked.

Are you trying to o/c using "Low-level system tweaks"? If so, its going to be locked for your card, as it is on mine. Instead, click the customize button, beside where it says "ForceWare Detected". Then click on the small picture of the video card. This is where you overclock your card with RivaTuner ;) Also, some other tweaks are required to be enabled in "power user" mode for safety reasons.

I realise you already use powerstrip, but figured I'd explain how to use RT just in case you wanted to give it another try.

kahloq
07-10-04, 06:00 PM
I tried using Powerstrip with 6800 U OC and Powerstrip failed to recognize the cards clock frequencies any where near correct. Be aware that Powerstrip doesnt always work, however, it might also be a result of the 61.21 drivers installed....dunno. As far as using the built in overclock ability of the Nvidia drivers(aka reg file additon of coolbits[2]), there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and NO reason to tell someone not to use it.

no.

dont use the NV inside over clock software. it cant push your clock much higher.

see if you can find the newest edition of PowerStrip

This statement is not really accurate and will depend on the graphics card YOU have installed. Nvidia drivers with the coolbits additon will overclock fine and allows a great deal of change. It also tests the clocks to be sure the card can do it. AS far as the black screen flicker, that is something that generally happens with geforece 3 and geforce 4 cards when windows loads, however, I have not seen that happen with any fx5.xxx or any 6800 series cards. I have a 6800 Ultra OC and coolbits2 added to the 61.21 drivers and I can overclock VERY well. You should be able to as well with the 6800 GT your getting. AS a note, stock for my card(6800 U OC) was 425/1100. I was able to overclock to 453/1270 before seeing ANY artifacts at all. Remember tho that the OC is already overclocked at 425 instead of the 400/1100 reference from Nvidia........so theres a 53mhz core overclock(for my card) and a 160 mhz overclock for the memory. Not all cards will overclock the same and will vary upon the ability of the specific core you got. The GT should be able to reach 400+ with little trouble.

ricercar
07-11-04, 04:16 PM
AS far as the black screen flicker, that is something that generally happens with geforece 3 and geforce 4 cards when windows loads, however, I have not seen that happen with any fx5.xxx or any 6800 series.

Black screen occurs on my 5700U, 5800, 5800U, and 5900U cards under XP, but only when Coolbits has been activated in the registry. Doesn't seem to matter if the card is actually overclocked, the black flicker occurs even when the OC checkbox is not checked.