PDA

View Full Version : Please read!

gate1975mlm
07-09-04, 11:28 AM
Ok So if I over Clock my BFG 6800 GT and All my games run good with no freezing does that mean my card is safe with the over clocked speed? I just don't want to break my card.

Thanks for your help!

Jovi
07-09-04, 11:31 AM
If you do not see any artifacts in the games, or any lock-ups, then it is pretty safe to say it is good to go on the overclock. Just make sure your box is cooled properly.

Clay
07-09-04, 11:33 AM
If you don't have any artifacting then you should be fine. However, it's always wise to improve the cooling even if it just means directing an 80mm case fan to blow across the card. The more you stress your card the shorter the lifespan of the components will likely be. The general rule is to OC to a point you feel comfortable with and then take it down a 5~10MHz notch on both the core and memory (assuming you OC'd both more than that amount).

gate1975mlm
07-09-04, 11:34 AM
Well how would I know if it is cooled ok? I have a TruePower 550 Power Supply and I have like 5 Fans. I have a PCI slot FAN which blows air right into the card! Also I plan to over clock it to Ultra speed which is 400/1100 right? Also what would artifacting look like?

Clay
07-09-04, 11:49 AM
Well how would I know if it is cooled ok? I have a TruePower 550 Power Supply and I have like 5 Fans. I have a PCI slot FAN which blows air right into the card! Also I plan to over clock it to Ultra speed which is 400/1100 right? Also what would artifacting look like?
Forceware has a temperature monitor for your card. ;) Artifacting comes in many forms. Typically you'll see "hot pixels" (pixels that are abnormally white or some other color than what they should be in the scene). You can also see blocking which looks somewhat like how a pixelated image appears.

gate1975mlm
07-09-04, 12:15 PM
Ok thanks for that info. Just one more thing. I don't have my BFG 6800 GT yet so I am testing the over clocking on a Geforce 3 TI 200. And for some reason when I open the Nvidia properties my screen goes black for a second. Why does it do this?

Clay
07-09-04, 12:25 PM
And for some reason when I open the Nvidia properties my screen goes black for a second. Why does it do this?I'm not sure, someone around he will chime in with some help eventually though I'm sure. BTW, you're quite the thread starter. ;) 44% of your total posts (17 of 39) are the beginnings of threads. :type: Not a problem, just an observation. :cool:

PaiN
07-09-04, 01:12 PM
gate...you seem really nervious about OCing...take it from a long time overclocker, alittle common sense and cooling :) will go along way. Don't push the clocks too fast, go slow and you'll see signs long be for you can do any damage. keep an eye on temps. and you'll have an Ultra for the price of a GT :smoking:

Arioch
07-09-04, 01:20 PM
Also keep in mind overclocking is great for some performance increases but if you do experience problems then back off the overclock a bit. As little as 5 mhz less may be enough to keep your card stable and that amount isn't going to be real noticeable frame rate wise.

gate1975mlm
07-09-04, 01:34 PM
Ok thanks for that info but does anyone know why when I first logon to my desktop the screen goes black for a second? I mean is that normal do any of you get this also?

Clay
07-09-04, 02:46 PM
What is your monitor refresh rate set to? Is it a value that is supported by your monitor? If not, then your monitor may be going out of range and resetting itself each time you enter Windows.

CaptNKILL
07-09-04, 03:15 PM
That black screen flicker is always what has happened with my cards when I overclock. It happens when windows applies the overclocked speed.

I dont know how or why most people dont get it... i thought it was something that happened with every driver level overclock (riva tuner's low level overclock doesnt need to do this, but its more risky since it keeps the card overclocked in hardware, not in windows).

gate1975mlm
07-09-04, 03:35 PM
My refersh Rate is 85. I guess there is noway around that?

Clay
07-09-04, 04:15 PM
Sure, you can set your refresh to diffrent values (60, 72, 75, 85, etc). Just don't set it to an unsupported frequency.

gate1975mlm
07-09-04, 04:44 PM
Sure, you can set your refresh to diffrent values (60, 72, 75, 85, etc). Just don't set it to an unsupported frequency.

No I mean noway around getting that black screen.

npras42
07-09-04, 07:45 PM
Ok thanks for that info. Just one more thing. I don't have my BFG 6800 GT yet so I am testing the over clocking on a Geforce 3 TI 200. And for some reason when I open the Nvidia properties my screen goes black for a second. Why does it do this?

That black screen flicker is always what has happened with my cards when I overclock. It happens when windows applies the overclocked speed.

I dont know how or why most people dont get it... i thought it was something that happened with every driver level overclock (riva tuner's low level overclock doesnt need to do this, but its more risky since it keeps the card overclocked in hardware, not in windows).

This happens to me as well, and as CaptNKILL explains I think it has to do with the overlclocks not kicking in until just after windows has started.

Anyway, it doesn't do it with my new 6800GT, but it did with my old Ti4600. Its nothing to worry about I promise you. My Ti4600 did it for a couple of years everytime I started Windows or if I opened the NV Control Panel, and this was on my £650 21" Sony CRT. My monitor never had any problems and neither did my PC.