PDA

View Full Version : Lots of system Crashes

Towi
07-09-04, 10:40 AM
Whenever i play a game, usually MVP 2004 or Farcry, the game usually freezes and i cant even go to the desktop i have to turn off and on my computer.

i have a geforce FX 5900 ultra modded to geforce FX 5950 ultra, 512 ram, AMD 2400+

and this happens almost everysingle time i try to play a game.

saturnotaku
07-09-04, 10:43 AM
Did you do a BIOS flash on your video card? If so, I would start by flashing it back to the original and go from there. It sounds like your video card's core is clocked too high. That's the primary cause of lockups during games, especially since you said your card has been modified.

It also could be a problem with your RAM. If you still have lockups, you should download and run memtest86 for a period of at least 8 hours.

Towi
07-09-04, 01:41 PM
i dont think its the new BIOS i put, cuz it would crash before to, my cousin said it might be my power supply, it only has 240 watts, might that be whats causing this?

ill try the memery test tonight and see what happends

saturnotaku
07-09-04, 02:33 PM
i dont think its the new BIOS i put, cuz it would crash before to, my cousin said it might be my power supply, it only has 240 watts, might that be whats causing this?

Your cousin is wise. There should be a label on the power supply that supplies the amperage rating for the different rails. What does it say for the +12v line? A power supply of that size I can't imagine would have any more than 11-12A, which isn't nearly enough. If you want to be prepared for a card like the 6800 GT, you need a quality, name brand power supply with at least +18-20A on the 12v line.

mrdak
07-09-04, 02:35 PM
Hi, Don't bother with the tests,,,,you need more psu...or maybe just a better one..If the cards bad Ill sell you a 5900 for 150.00,,,,comes with far cry ;-)
good luck man..