PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT performance with 1.1 Patch ?

Pages : [1] 2

Shocky
07-09-04, 01:01 PM
Hi, recently bought a 6800GT but the framerate in farcry seems to drop when outdoors to less then 20fps in places, this with all settings maxed at 1280*960 with no fsaa and only 4xAF. Concidering the recent benchmarks I would have expected better performance at 1280*960. This is at 400/1100 also.

So basically the game is now less playable then with my old R9800Pro even when I drop the detail to medium. The framerate inside structures is fine. Is this normal for this card ??? :confused: :cry:

System
3.06B@3.4
P4G8X-D
1024MB
Audigy 2
XFX 6800GT 61.71
WinXP

Clay
07-09-04, 01:06 PM
That does not sound right. However, I've noticed 1280x960 to be kind of a wonkie resolution for me in the past. Have you tried the more standard 1024x768 or 1280x1024? Or are you on a widescreen display? Are you sure that you performed a good, clean uninstall of your Cat drivers?

Arioch
07-09-04, 01:09 PM
That does not sound right. However, I've noticed 1280x960 to be kind of a wonkie resolution for me in the past. Have you tried the more standard 1024x768 or 1280x1024? Or are you on a widescreen display? Are you sure that you performed a good, clean uninstall of your Cat drivers?

Actually 1280x960 is a standard 4:3 resolution like 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1600x1200. I can't understand why people prefer 1280x1024 as it stretches the image a bit. Of course if it is your LCD's native resolution then that is another story.

Ruined
07-09-04, 01:11 PM
Is this normal for this card ???

No, it sounds like something is wrong, FarCry runs great here even at 1600x1200 on my GT stock on my P4 3.2C stock. Try using either the 61.36whql or 61.71 driversets (the 61.71 causes stuttering for some intel chipsets, so try using the 61.36 from guru3d.com if you are getting stuttering), and make sure you run driver cleaner to get rid of all the ati junk. It sounds like you are having a driver problem.

evilchris
07-09-04, 01:13 PM
My Farcry and Morrowind stutter with 61.71. Call of Duty runs great. All I've tried.

aAv7
07-09-04, 01:19 PM
must be a driver problem, but there are a few spots in farcry that are cpu limited. Like outside (on the boat) in the carrier map...especially at the top in the firefight..if it's one of those spots your talking about then its not the gpu. But if the whole game runs like a dog, it has to be a driver issue, might even want to do a clean install of windows, thats what I usually do when I switch cards...even if their from the same company.

Clay
07-09-04, 01:20 PM
Actually 1280x960 is a standard 4:3 resolution like 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1600x1200. I can't understand why people prefer 1280x1024 as it stretches the image a bit. Of course if it is your LCD's native resolution then that is another story.Ack! You're right of course. (omg) Something was telling me that 1280x1024 was 4:3.2 Thanks for the correction. :)

Underzenith
07-09-04, 01:26 PM
I get massive fps fluctuations on FarCry using 61.21 with 6800GT. I think it might be a EAX problem though. I am going to try it with EAX off.

Shocky
07-09-04, 01:34 PM
It is with a clean install of windows and I've tried various other drivers which all perform relatively the same. Framerate remains the same outside regardless of resolution and detail settings as the the framerate drops remain. Lastly the sound options don;t seem to effect performance at all :(.

OWA
07-09-04, 01:38 PM
Actually 1280x960 is a standard 4:3 resolution like 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1600x1200. I can't understand why people prefer 1280x1024 as it stretches the image a bit. Of course if it is your LCD's native resolution then that is another story.
1280x960 use to look squished to me so I've always tried to avoid it but maybe it was just the game(s) at the time. Since then I've always tried to avoid 1280x960 although a few of the games I've tried recently, that only provide that resolution (instead of 12x10), have looked fine.

wEEt
07-09-04, 01:43 PM
I've got the same problem with my PoV 6800GT (61.71 and directx 9.0c). Outdoor levels aren't playable cause the frames drop below 20.
Didn't try any other drivers but I'll check that later. Maybe some bug?
It can't be the cpu (2,3GHz Barton) and the RAM (1GB DDR-400). All other games work fine. Only problem is farcry. Damn :(

Ruined
07-09-04, 01:50 PM
My Farcry and Morrowind stutter with 61.71. Call of Duty runs great. All I've tried.

Steeda switch to 61.36 I bet the stuttering will go away, seems to be probs with intel mobos and 61.21/61.71.

Shocky
07-09-04, 02:09 PM
Is there some kind of farcry benchmark available? Would be easier to show people how bad it is.

doodlebob
07-09-04, 02:18 PM
This is the only tool I know that will bench far cry but you can't use 1280x960 res. http://www.benchemall.com/download/benchemall.zip

Clay
07-09-04, 02:44 PM
This is the only tool I know that will bench far cry but you can't use 1280x960 res. http://www.benchemall.com/download/benchemall.zip
You can also record your own demo and then play it back with FRAPS on. To test purely GPU one should kill all enemies in the area of the "path" you'll follow, do a \save_game at console then \record mydemo .... the latest FRAPS you can set a specific amt of time for it to stop recording so you'll always have an exact timeframe.

Shocky
07-09-04, 02:53 PM
You can also record your own demo and then play it back with FRAPS on. To test purely GPU one should kill all enemies in the area of the "path" you'll follow, do a \save_game at console then \record mydemo .... the latest FRAPS you can set a specific amt of time for it to stop recording so you'll always have an exact timeframe.

If you record a demo in fraps it lowers the framerate so you I don't see how that can be used to benchmark...

Originally Posted by doodlebob

I downloaded and ran it but it only shows the framerate at one point on the fort level which really doesnt represent anything. :(

Clay
07-09-04, 02:59 PM
If you record a demo in fraps it lowers the framerate so you I don't see how that can be used to benchmark... Yep, 1~2% but that's only if you have the FPS counter digits in one of the screen corners. Otherwise (since you can disable that) any expense is even more negligible.

Shocky
07-09-04, 03:02 PM
Yep, 1~2% but that's only if you have the FPS counter digits in one of the screen corners. Otherwise (since you can disable that) any expense is even more negligible.

k, does it record at 1024*768? and whats the command for the framerate in far cry ?

OWA
07-09-04, 03:06 PM
\r_displayinfo 1 for the framerate in far cry but you have to also be in developer mode for that to work.

OWA
07-09-04, 03:09 PM
Why can't you just use the benchmark feature of fraps when you play back a recorded demo in Far Cry?

Clay
07-09-04, 03:11 PM
Why can't you just use the benchmark feature of fraps when you play back a recorded demo in Far Cry?You can, I just like FRAPS and am comfortable using it. Actually I've not read up on exactly how to pipe the results to a log file from within FarCry so if you have that info please post it, that'd be great. Thanks. :)

EDIT: I also like the fact that FRAPS allows you to specify the exact timeframe to record results. Within FarCry you still have the manual step of going to console and typing \stopdemo I could be wrong though since I've not read up fully on what FarCry offers there. I just know from using the Pier map demo from 3DCenter.

OWA
07-09-04, 03:41 PM
You can, I just like FRAPS and am comfortable using it. Actually I've not read up on exactly how to pipe the results to a log file from within FarCry so if you have that info please post it, that'd be great. Thanks. :)

EDIT: I also like the fact that FRAPS allows you to specify the exact timeframe to record results. Within FarCry you still have the manual step of going to console and typing \stopdemo I could be wrong though since I've not read up fully on what FarCry offers there. I just know from using the Pier map demo from 3DCenter.
I'm not sure I understand why you want to pipe the results from within Far Cry so I may be misunderstanding what y'all are discussing.

What I was suggesting was to record and save a demo from within Far Cry, start fraps, start the recorded demo from within Far Cry and essentially at the same time, press the benchmark key for fraps, once it has looped once press the benchmark key in fraps again to stop the benchmark mode. It wouldn't be precise enough for a review but for just friendly comparisons, it seems like it would be good enough to judge whether you're getting framerates in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. Basically, good enough to see if there is an issue with your card, drivers, systems, etc. I guess you'd want to start the recording and end the recording of the demo in "safe" type areas so any lag between hitting return to start the playback and then hitting the benchmark key for fraps doesn't cause a huge impact. Am I way off base?

Shocky
07-09-04, 03:51 PM
ok, here are the benchmark results from me doing the first part of lvl Fort.

1024*768 (All on very high with 4xAF)
2004-07-09 20:47:03 - FarCry
Frames: 1749 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 29.150 - Min: 10 - Max: 49

Now bare in mind the max for 49fps was when I was standing behind a rock !

Id upload a vid for you to watch but you can barely make out the framerate counter. :)

Clay
07-09-04, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure I understand why you want to pipe the results from within Far Cry so I may be misunderstanding what y'all are discussing.

What I was suggesting was to record and save a demo from within Far Cry, start fraps, start the recorded demo from within Far Cry and essentially at the same time, press the benchmark key for fraps, once it has looped once press the benchmark key in fraps again to stop the benchmark mode. It wouldn't be precise enough for a review but for just friendly comparisons, it seems like it would be good enough to judge whether you're getting framerates in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. Basically, good enough to see if there is an issue with your card, drivers, systems, etc. I guess you'd want to start the recording and end the recording of the demo in "safe" type areas so any lag between hitting return to start the playback and then hitting the benchmark key for fraps doesn't cause a huge impact. Am I way off base?We're talking about the same thing basically. FRAPS creates a log file with MIN, AVG and MAX fps values. FarCry also has the ability to do this in its own way. That's all. I just don't know how to get FarCry to log the results yet, need to Google for it. :)

FRAPS can (and is) precise enough for reviews. Especially now that you can specify an exact timeframe (FRAPS will stop automatically after whatever duration you specify). If you disable the FPS ticker display on the screen then the performance hit of FRAPS is sub 1%. Also, when benching FarCry especially...you want to let one entire loop of the demo run its course...you ignore any MIN, AVG or MAX values from that because it is all still loading into memory at that time. You take the second (or the avg of 2nd, 3rd, etc) loop's results and go by those.

OWA
07-09-04, 05:05 PM
We're talking about the same thing basically. FRAPS creates a log file with MIN, AVG and MAX fps values. FarCry also has the ability to do this in its own way. That's all. I just don't know how to get FarCry to log the results yet, need to Google for it. :)

FRAPS can (and is) precise enough for reviews. Especially now that you can specify an exact timeframe (FRAPS will stop automatically after whatever duration you specify). If you disable the FPS ticker display on the screen then the performance hit of FRAPS is sub 1%. Also, when benching FarCry especially...you want to let one entire loop of the demo run its course...you ignore any MIN, AVG or MAX values from that because it is all still loading into memory at that time. You take the second (or the avg of 2nd, 3rd, etc) loop's results and go by those.
Okay. Thanks for the info.

Another way occurred to me a few minutes ago. You could just record whatever demo you want in Far Cry and then use BenchEmAll to do the benchmarking. It apparently has the ability to use custom demos, import demos, etc. I'm in the process of trying that now but needed to check the web for how to stop the recording of a demo. I got it started and couldn't remember how to stop it. :)

Edit: Dang, you just mentioned that a couple of posts before. I kept trying \stoprecord.

Edit2: Well, recording the demo in Far Cry and then using BenchEmAll to do the actual benchmarking makes it easy but I think I prefer some sort of Fraps type benchmark so I can see the min, max and avg instead of just the avg. BTW, I recorded a fairly long demo on the Fort Level and played it at 1280x1024 4xAA/8xAF, settings maxed and averaged 50.57 fps.