PDA

View Full Version : MY BFG 6800 U OC JUST arrived!!!!!!!!

kahloq
07-09-04, 01:05 PM
Just got it. Came in the white cardboard box (but reads FULL RETAIL)and not the colored packaging.

Will report performance once I get it installed.

Clay
07-09-04, 01:08 PM
Nice. :) You should be able to get some healthy overclocking out of it.

Ruined
07-09-04, 01:09 PM
grats!

Somehow I got the full retail box from BB, not that it matters.

EDIT: this was for a 6800GT, thats why

Jedi Rainman
07-09-04, 02:06 PM
I think the white boxes are probably from a bulk shipment.

kahloq
07-09-04, 02:28 PM
Ok heres the initial results.

First off, I need to say that the fan seems a bit odd. Its loud when in use, meaning that when the fan spins up, it almost seems like theres a ticking sound, like a fan blade is very slightly rubbing on something as it spins. Not sure if thats the case or not or if it needs to settle in with a burn in type thing or not. When the "ticking sound" is not present, I cannot hear the card at all over my case fans.

Now for temp readings.
Ambient temp is 41 C
core temp is 56C at idle

Driver set is 61.21

First run on 3dmark03 is 12220 at stock settings.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2755070

Which drivers would get me a better score?

Edited score. First run thru there were background programs I forget to terminate(first score was 12062)

OWA
07-09-04, 02:33 PM
I think that is at least the 3rd post I've seen mentioning the fans on that particular card. The one I was going to purchase from Skypx did the same thing. Not sure if his settled out or not.

kahloq
07-09-04, 02:55 PM
The ticking sound is generally NOT present most of the time even during running 3dmark03. Occasionally I will hear it, which leads me to believe that maybe the card just needs to settle. Its also seemed to calm down some since I first isntalled the card. However, its possible theres a small misalignment on the fan or a ball bearing isnt quite right. But since its not constant, I dunno what to think. I will try OC the card to see how much I can get past 12220. Any driver recommendations?

kahloq
07-09-04, 03:04 PM
Ok the clock and mem frequncies are greyed out when selecting auto overclock and the message states that the settings have been pre approved. Im assuming thats BFG's thing. Anyhow....in manual overclock, you CAN press the "detect optimal settings" and it came out as 452/1.15

OWA
07-09-04, 03:17 PM
The ticking sound is generally NOT present most of the time even during running 3dmark03. Occasionally I will hear it, which leads me to believe that maybe the card just needs to settle. Its also seemed to calm down some since I first isntalled the card. However, its possible theres a small misalignment on the fan or a ball bearing isnt quite right. But since its not constant, I dunno what to think. I will try OC the card to see how much I can get past 12220. Any driver recommendations?
Oh okay. His was very loud and more of a grating. I just checked the thread again to get my facts straight.

I'm happy with the 61.34s so far but like you, I just got a 6800 series card recently so I'm not sure which ones I'll settle on. The 61.45s seem to work well also. I thought the 61.21s were supposed to be some of the faster ones but I haven't tried them yet. Did your card come with the 61.21s?

Edit: Heh, don't forget to change your sig since the wait is over. :)

kahloq
07-09-04, 03:34 PM
Yes OWA, my driver CD from BFG came with 61.21

BTW, I tried the 452/1.15 frequencies and got only ONE artifact during the mother nature test. I backed the core down to 441 and everything ran smooth. This is the new score: 12591

Not a bad increase. An additional 271 points. Maybe other drivers, Id get a faster result, however, when doing a compare on futuremarks sites, theres not many ppl with a 3.2 p4 that isnt overclocked that score much better, even with 61.71's

Now with bumping the mem frequency to 1250, I now scored 12800. Man, Almost to 13k!

kahloq
07-09-04, 05:31 PM
Ok wanted to report that the ticking sound is completely gone now. Must have just needed to settle in :) I cant even hear the card over the case fans, EVEN on boot up.

Now with the clocks at 441/1260, the score in 3dmark03 is 12867

Not too bad.........a 647 point increase over stock and everything is stable.