PDA

View Full Version : 6800nu black screen problem

selfdefeated
07-10-04, 03:50 AM
[I apologize if this gets double-posted - browser crapped out on me when I went to submit it]

Hi folks,

I poked around on the forums for a while, but couldn't find an answer to this issue I'm having. Hopefully, one of you might be able to help me.

I got an eVGA 6800nu today. I uninstalled my BBATi 9500pro's drivers & entry in the device manager, took the card out, and then installed the 6800nu. After installing the drivers provided on the eVGA CD, I rebooted. Everything went smoothly, Windows splash screen showed up normally, then the screen went black (when you'd ordinarily get to select which user profile to use). The system remained on, I just didn't have anything onscreen. My monitor is a Samsung 710T 17" LCD, using a DVI connection. Its native resolution is 1280x1024, with (I believe) a 75hz refresh rate.

To fix this, I tried...

-using Forceware 56.72 & 61.71 drivers (will try others soon)
-updating mobo BIOS (& everything else I could think of)
-using analog output/input
-using my old analog CRT instead of the LCD
-reinstalling DirectX 9.0b, then the drivers
-removing the card from the AGP slot, then reinserting it
-switching the molex connector I had plugged into the card

These all still gave mea black screen. I would really appreciate any help anyone might be able to give me. My next (unpleasant) step will be to reinstall Windows, but I'd like to avoid that if there's a simpler fix.

For quick reference, my system stats: Windows XP Home SP1, P4 3.0c, MSI NEO2-PFS (i865PE) mobo, 1.5 GB DDR400 RAM, eVGA Geforce 6800nu, Samsung 710T 17" LCD w/ DVI, SB Audigy 2, DVD/CD-RW, wireless network card.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

rewt
07-10-04, 04:46 AM
Ouch, I know you must be so disappointed :( I suspect ATI drivers to be the problem. Many people get these sorts of issues when they switch between ATI and nVidia graphics hardware. What I recommend to you then, is to uninstall all current video drivers using Add/Remove Programs, reboot into safe mode, and run Driver Cleaner 3 (http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/) to clean out any remaining ATI or nVidia drivers that Add/Remove programs may have left behind. Then reboot into windows normally, install 61.71 Forceware (using Device Manager), and reboot once more. I hope this will fix your problem.

Good luck!

JGene
07-10-04, 05:04 AM
Can you boot into safe mode? If so, uninstall the forceware drivers, reboot, then let it come up in Windows. Once there, try installing the 61.xx drivers and go it from there.

selfdefeated
07-10-04, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I tried removing & cleaning the drivers (both ATi & NVidia) in Safe Mode, then installing the new ones in normal Windows, but I ended up with the same problem. I finally reformatted & reinstalled Windows, installed Forceware 61.36, and everything seems to be OK now. We'll see how it goes when I install some games (City of Heroes, Farcry, and Uru are on my list for today).

Thanks again!

kahloq
07-10-04, 06:04 PM
Glad you got it working, Sounds like it was an ATI hangup. Even uninstalling drivers in safe mode doesnt get them all out UNLESS you use a driver cleaner program like was mentioned. However, reformatting is the "cleanest" you can get lol. :)

JGene
07-10-04, 06:19 PM
Glad you got it working, Sounds like it was an ATI hangup. Even uninstalling drivers in safe mode doesnt get them all out UNLESS you use a driver cleaner program like was mentioned. However, reformatting is the "cleanest" you can get lol. :)

Driver cleaners can certainly fix a lot of stuff up. But luckily I didn't have to use one of those. I simply uninstalled the drivers on my ATi Radeon 8500 and popped in my GeForce and it was OK.

kahloq
07-10-04, 06:22 PM
Yes Jgene, i suppose I should have stated that safe mode alone doesnt ALWAYS get all the old drivers out and therefore a driver cleaner program is recommended :)