PDA

View Full Version : Gainward GeForce 6800 GT

monly
07-10-04, 04:55 AM
Hi, cancelled order on xfx 6800ultra and placed an order for the "Gainward GeForce 6800 GT 256MB GS". I know this is a good card but you think i made a good choice? it saved me bout £60 ($111) so im pleased with that because i havent really got that much money to burn being only 16. :)

MUYA
07-10-04, 05:04 AM
why not? same as ultra only lower clocked...but I am sure u can overclock it to default Ultra levels ;) So a good purchase...yes! :D

rewt
07-10-04, 05:11 AM
I agree. Gainward cards always overclock well, especially the GS versions :)

wEEt
07-10-04, 07:00 AM
The GS version clocked 400/550MHz, from what I heard here in Germany. But there are some probs with it cause some GS cards slow down @ 400/550MHz...

zakelwe
07-10-04, 07:06 AM
The Gainward GT has 1.6ns memory on it as well I believe so this would be a good buy.

Any links wEEt for this slowing down ? why 400/550 does not make sense ??

If you are going to post this sort of FUD please supply link so evidence for/against can be got. Cheers.

Regards

Andy

Crofty
10-13-04, 03:38 PM
The Gainward GT 6800 GS that is available from most retailers has 2,0 ns memory speed not 1,6 ns. The gt that has the higher features I have not seen on the shelves yet and have the letters GLH added to the end of the card name (so Gainward Powerpack Ultra/2400 "Golden Sample" GLH for the 1.6 ns memory)

I also just returned a gainward 6800 GT GS due to massive overheating problems even at stock speeds, infact even sat idle this thing was running hot, I made sure the heatsink was firmly attached etc, infact everything I could without voiding my guarantee.

I am also not alone with this problem, it appears there are many more than the "odd" dodgy batch going out to retailers and Gainward failed in every respect to reply to my emails or help me in anyway - leading me back to my supplier to obtain a quick refund, at which point I bought the XFX version for 40 less than the gainward and immediatly got Ultra clock speeds no problems with no temp issues on a standard refrence Nvidia cooler :)

If your going to buy a Gainward 6800 cards at the minute make sure you use a respected retailer in so far as ensuring your retailer will refund you if the card does not do the advertised overclock speeds Gainward claim without artifacts or lock ups, do not rely on Gainward support or RMA service - see http://forum.gainward.de/ for the terrible support service people are having and problems people are having with the 6800 GT, the Gainward Bios issues on the 6800 Ultras and general heat problems on the whole 6800 range.

After the GF4 Gainward gaffs ( http://www.overclockers.com/tips00230/ ) I dont know why I bothered with gainward this time round at all thought o be honest...