PDA

View Full Version : PNY 6800GT and game freezes?

Gas
07-10-04, 05:12 AM
Hi

I have some problems. All games freezes suddenly for 5seconds and after that continue. So I dont crash, it just freezes for period time and continues after that. I dont have any idea what can be the problem. Very irritating.

Is my Antec 380W powersupply out of juice? any ideas?

Running now on 61.45 forceware.

rewt
07-10-04, 05:15 AM
Yes I would think it's either a voltage problem, or overheating issue. Do you have an idea of the temps your card runs at while gaming? A good tool to measure this is RivaTuner hardware monitor. Run it in the background while you play games for a while. Then look at the graph to determine maximum temp.

Is the card overclocked?

Gas
07-10-04, 06:43 AM
74C at max load when gaming.. Clocked or not, still freezes. I tried 61.71 forceware and it didnt solve problem. Any more ideas?

I cant turn Fast writes off from my bios (no option) and driver wont turn it off. Can Fast Write cause a problems?

Amuro
07-10-04, 06:58 AM
what's the +12V rating of your PSU? It might be your PSU doesn't have enough juice since you have like 3 HDD's in your comp.

rewt
07-10-04, 07:00 AM
Your temps are fine.

I would check the consistency of the voltages of your power supply next. The tool I use for this is called SpeedFan. After you install it and run it, all PSU voltages will appear on the main screen. Also, you can monitor min/max voltage levels, so it is possible to leave it running in the background while playing games, then go back and check how high or how low the voltages went. One of the main ones to check is the 12v line. If it drops too low you will get system lockups or crashes.

Fast Writes do cause problems for some people but mainly those with older cards. If you would like to turn it off, RivaTuner can do this for you. You will have to go into power user mode under AGP settings and set "AGPFW" to "0". Then enable RivaTuner's startup daemon so that value gets loaded up after reboot.

rewt
07-10-04, 07:10 AM
Amuro makes a very valid point as well. If you look inside your case, at your power supply, it should have a sticker on the side with amperage ratings on each line (each line is called a rail). I believe it is recommended to have a PSU with at least 16 Amps on the +12v line for a Geforce 6800. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

nvnews-reader
07-10-04, 07:34 AM
Try unplugging 2 of your HD's and lower your P4 OC and see if that gets rid of your problem. You prob need a larger PSU anyway. Those HD's and an OC'd P4 burn up a lot of juice.

GravY
07-10-04, 08:24 AM
I would look for 18a or above, did alot of reading when my card went down the tubes.. i was running a Sparkle 350w unit that only had a 15a 12v rail..

if you stay with that psu your experience will get worse, to the point of windows not wanting to load..

scott123
07-10-04, 10:23 AM
What power supply are you running?

Zeno
07-10-04, 01:46 PM
Hi

I have some problems. All games freezes suddenly for 5seconds and after that continue. So I dont crash, it just freezes for period time and continues after that. I dont have any idea what can be the problem. Very irritating.

Is my Antec 380W powersupply out of juice? any ideas?

Running now on 61.45 forceware.

Interesting. I'm running a PNY 6800 ultra at work with an antec sonata case and the 380 watt power supply that comes with it. I don't play games on it, but one of my more demanding (on graphics card - not CPU) programs will freeze after some random amount of time. Sometimes the machine recovers from this freeze and sometimes it just reboots itself. Once after it recovered from a freeze of several seconds, the graphics on the desktop were corrupted.

Additional info:

Nothing is overclocked. I tried underclocking the graphics card and it seemed to last longer before the freeze/crash, but this is not conclusive as the times vary. Also, I could only underclock to like 357/1101 with powerstrip.

Temperature doesn't matter - freezing has happened as low as 65C, but card often runs fine between 80 and 90 C. Edit: Temperature does seem to matter, but is not the only cause....see below.

Fast writes on/off doesn't matter.

AGP aperture size of 256 or 128 doesn't matter.

Same behavior observed on 2 different nvidia driver versions.

OS is Windows XP

Other hardware - Athlon 64 3200+, MSI K8N neo motherboard, 1.5 GB Mushkin RAM

Whatever this problem is, I need to figure it out. I plan to go into work today. I'll check voltages, swap cards/power supplies, etc and let you know what I find.

-- Zeno

GravY
07-10-04, 02:26 PM
again what PSU and specifically what is the 12v @..

Gas
07-10-04, 02:57 PM
I found my solution. I dropped my CPU to normal level 3000Mhz and now it works. Then I pushed it back to 3300=220*15 and no go. Now it gets interesting. If I overclock processor with divider 5/4, my machine works nice. So my memory is now lower 176Mhz and 3300Mhz on processor with divider 5/4.. Little slower now but works.

Im just thinking that if memory takes more power on 1/1.. 6800GT clocks are now 420/1100.

18A on rail 12V. Antec 380W truepower lol.

Ghosthunter
07-10-04, 04:43 PM
Cool glad you got it to work I have the same exact Case and PowerSupply, and was going to get a 6800GT but was nervous since you ran into issues...but I do no overclocking at all so I should be ok and I only have the following:

asus p4p800, p4 2.8c, 1 GB Crucial PC3200, DVD/CD Rom, WD 80 GB SE, ATI 9800 Pro 128

GravY
07-10-04, 04:44 PM
FSB requires more juice in conjunction with the oc on the cpu.. you could be maxing your psu..

Zeno
07-10-04, 07:13 PM
Here's an update on my situation if anyone cares -

The PSU on the antec is rated at 18A on the 12v line. That's 216 watts which should be plenty considering it's only being shared with a hard drive and cd-rom.

I swapped the Ultra with the GT in my home computer (which uses a Nexus 400 watt PSU). Ultra froze on my home computer too - usually when core temp reached around 85 degrees. On the times when it recovered, there was graphical corruption. GT does not freeze in either machine. I watched voltages on both machines and they were stable both when starting a 3d app and just before/after freezes.

Anyway, I think that the ultra has a bad piece of RAM, or maybe a bit of RAM has bad thermal contact with the heat sink. Either way, I'll probably have to RMA it :(