PDA

View Full Version : Bfg 6800 Gt

fasedww
07-10-04, 07:41 AM
:) I have one being shipped and will be here tuesday the 13th, I have a ATI 9800 pro in my computer right now, ok Here's the question, If I use the ati uninstall ultily then shut down, and put my bad ass 6800 in and boot up and install it's driver's, then too make sure use driver cleaner and then remove all ati stuff just too make sure will this work?, Seem's like in my past I've allways had trouble with driver cleaner before installing driver's, I always get this cannot find hardware ETC, and end up reformatting, Don't want this to happen this time around Please help" :clap:

GravY
07-10-04, 08:18 AM
in all honesty just uninstall the ati drivers through the control panel/uninstall programs as well as any other ati related items/delete the ati folder on the installation drive... then shut down, install the 6800gt and off you go.. I have done a test with this already and my 6800gt showed no difference in performance between that and a fresh install.. so I would say that cleans things out quite well..

Gn00b
07-10-04, 08:19 AM
I just replaced my ATI 9700np with the BFG 6800GT OC.

There are probably many posts on this forum as to how to do the uninstall. This is what I did. It was smooth and painless, and everything seems to be working perfectly.

There is an Uninstaller included with the ATI Catalyst suite, but when I started this process I had forgotten about it. I also believe that there are some uninstall utilities out there, but anyways...here is exactly what I did:

1. Downloaded and installed Regcleaner. You can get it at majorgeeks.com.

2. Used Add/Remove Software to remove all ATI Applications (Control Panel, Drivers, etc). No restart until the last application was removed.

3. Restarted (VGA (640x480) mode). Canceled the new hardware wizard.

4. Used Regcleaner to remove any ATI components.

5. Searched all files/folders for ATI-related (e.g., ATI technologies) folders/files and delete them. I simply used ATI as "all or part of the file name". Had to weed thru a long list of non-video card (non-ATI stuff that has "ati" in their names) file names, but the ATI/ATI Technologies folder was obvious. Deleted the only folder I found.

6. Used device manager to uninstall my old ATI card. Didn't let Windows restart my machine...shut-down instead. Installed new card.

7. Booted up, canceled new hardware wiz, and popped drivers CD in and installed them.

8. Now having fun.

3DMK01: 18,530
3DMK03: 10,815

fasedww
07-10-04, 10:07 AM
in all honesty just uninstall the ati drivers through the control panel/uninstall programs as well as any other ati related items/delete the ati folder on the installation drive... then shut down, install the 6800gt and off you go.. I have done a test with this already and my 6800gt showed no difference in performance between that and a fresh install.. so I would say that cleans things out quite well..Yeah thats what I'll do thanks for the reply :)