PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800 GT and Ultra Benchmarks and ?s

rickshobbies
07-10-04, 07:15 PM
First of all, thanks to everyone who responded to my original post. The information was very helpful. I do have some lingering questions though.

From what I have read so far, it looks like on my machine (P4 3.06 533FSB), the cards will perform nearly the same because I am CPU limited. At best, I am seeing a 7fps difference in favor of the Ultra. As some have suggested, 7fps might be very helpful if the gain was found at the minimum fps, rather than the average or the max fps. This makes sense, so I dug around a little more for some benchmarks to help prove this out but I am not finding any benchmarks that compare the 6800GT and the 6800 Ultra and mention the minimum fps.

I mostly play games at 1024x760 or 1280x1024 and want to use 4xAA and 8xAniso with all options turned on in games like FarCry, Battlefield Vietnam and upcoming Doom3 and HL2. I do not like to overclock, so I want to use stock speeds which partly why I chose BFG since the are factory overclocked.

I was hoping someone might know of some good reviews that show benchmarks between the two cards, especially with minimum fps and not just average. I don't think the 7fps will be noticable unless it shows up at the minimum fps.

If anyone can point me to some reviews that consider minimum fps between the cards, that would be great. I still have both cards and I am preparing to send the Ultra back if I wouldn't see the 7-ish fps at the min fps. If it's at the average or max, as some of you have suggested, I probably won't see the difference on my system.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has provided input so far and for having patience with me with these questions.

Thanks,

R

SH64
07-10-04, 07:56 PM
Heres an example :

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/farcry30_6.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/farcry30/fc_16x12_pure_training.gif

GeForce 6800U (v1.2 SM3.0) min fps = 52.6
GeForce 6800GT(v1.2 SM3.0) min fps = 45

thats about 7.6 fps differnece

rickshobbies
07-10-04, 08:13 PM
Exactly what I was looking for! Now, how much faster is the CPU they used in that test than my P4 3.06? I am thinking if it's a lot faster, then the difference might be less than 7fps since performance seems to scale up with a faster CPU.

I also found it interesting that on the benchmarks that are run with AA and Aniso active, which I always use, the min fps are only about 1 or 2 fps apart at 1024x768, which is where I usually run games at.

At some point I would like to increase the resolution and I wonder if 1600x1200 with no AA but using 8x Aniso would perform on par with a lower res using AA and aniso...

SH64
07-10-04, 08:30 PM
The CPU used for that bench was AMD 64 3400+ .

rickshobbies
07-10-04, 08:32 PM
I am a little out of touch with AMD CPUs. How does that compare to a P4 3.06 with a 533 FSB?

SH64
07-10-04, 08:38 PM
I am a little out of touch with AMD CPUs. How does that compare to a P4 3.06 with a 533 FSB?

IIRC the AMD 64 3400+ is the best CPU for gaming right now . yes theres the FX-51 & FX-53 .. but the 3400+ is best bang for the buck .

As for the gap between your CPU & the 3400 .. it think its pretty considrable (not that wide , but not small too!) .
i've seen the 3400+ beats the P4:3.4c in most games when benchmarked head to head with it .

rickshobbies
07-10-04, 08:44 PM
So, my machine would be more CPU limited and that suggests that the delta between a GT and an Ultra would be smaller than the 7fps, correct?

I am thinking this because when they run with the benches with AA and Aniso on, there is only a 1 to 2 fps difference at the lower resolutions.

Let me know if I am interpretting this wrong.

Thanks again!

Rick

SH64
07-10-04, 08:52 PM
I suppose you'r right , but if you ask me ?? .. every frame counts in my benchies & games .. let alone 5 fps differenece ! which might equal 25% percentage improvment in a game running @20fps or ~ 20% for a game running @30fps !!

if you dont want your Ultra just send it to me!! you have a GT & an Ultra & you dont know what to choose while .. I'M DYING OUT HERE FOR ONE ! this is not fair !! :cry:

rickshobbies
07-11-04, 02:34 AM
True, which is why I was interested in the minimum fps benchmarks. I figure that's where the extra frames will count. What I wasn't sure of is whether or not the Ultra would give me a fps boost at the minimum fps during game play using the P4 3.06 I have now. That would tell me if an Ultra would be a waste in my rig.

But thanks for the good info and the food for thought!

R

mustrum
07-11-04, 04:10 AM
You don't want to overclock so you buy the BFG that OC's from stock?
Man that just makes any sense. BFG isn't selecting the chips or something you know. They just OC the card for 20 mhz since any 6800 GT can do additional 20 mhz anyways. I am not sure if they ask for more muney on the GT OC since it's not available here but if they would i'd go for the normal one for sure.

You have no problem with the BFG that comes 20 mhz overclocked but you have a problem to do it yourself? That makes no sense at all to me.
Yeah i know overclocking voids the warranty blablabla. They can't proof you overclocked anyways.

bkswaney
07-11-04, 04:19 AM
The way I see it is if u have a 3Ghz or faster cpu you cannot go wrong with a GT or Ultra. Or heck even a regular 6800 for all that goes.

I'm going with a GT just as soon as my funds come around.
Soon. ;)

shinrai
07-11-04, 04:40 AM
Don't worry too much about being cpu limited. Games are coming that will tax the cards a lot more than now and we will be back to GPU limitation.

rickshobbies
07-11-04, 01:18 PM
As far as overclocking goes, it's voiding the warranty that I am afraid of as well as reliability. I assume that BFG tested the card to work at that clock and warranties it as such, so I trust that. I am afraid if I do it myself, it will work for a while then die and then I won't be covered under warranty.

I know a lot of you do this all the time, but I guess I a little gun shy about it.

Shocky
07-11-04, 02:23 PM
As far as overclocking goes, it's voiding the warranty that I am afraid of as well as reliability. I assume that BFG tested the card to work at that clock and warranties it as such, so I trust that. I am afraid if I do it myself, it will work for a while then die and then I won't be covered under warranty.

I know a lot of you do this all the time, but I guess I a little gun shy about it.

I would try and overclock a little, I also use a 3.06B and run it at 3.4Ghz (stock voltage). The worst that can happen when you overclock is it will reset or give an error as long as you sensible and don't try and overclock it 1ghz. :kill: And if you somehow manage to damage the CPU how could they prove it was due to overclocking ?