PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Sticker!

Pages : [1] 2

DAC350
07-10-04, 07:50 PM
So I’m playing Farcry with my new stock evga 6800GT and loving it. While a map is loading, I hear a quick buzz. I thought maybe it was the CD in the CD-ROM? Anyway, I get out of the game a minute after it loads to see my GPU temp at 96c! I restarted the pc, (don’t know why, just did) and it was still at 96. It usually runs at 73 under load. Come to find out, the stupid evga sticker that was on the fan came off and got wedged in between the fan blades STOPPING THE FAN! My question for you guys since you’re the professionals, is do you think there was any harm done to my card? I ran 3dmark after I took the sticker out and I got the same average score I always get. (Around 10900) I don’t see any artifacts while I am benchmarking or playing Farcry. Could there have been any long term damage caused? Thanks.

leatherface
07-10-04, 07:54 PM
yeah, probably damage the ball bearings, and will more than likely have a failed fan in several hours...... then its gonna burn.....

:lame:

j/k... btw

Revgen
07-10-04, 07:54 PM
I'd return it.

Evga has more cards like yours in stock already, so you shouldn't have a problem getting another one.

It's better to be safe than sorry later.

aaahhh52
07-10-04, 07:56 PM
lol no shouldn't do anything the fan should be fine, and my 5950 reached 120C for about an hour and ran fine, lol i couldn't tell the fan stopped until i had already played for an hour or 2 then stopped, looked at my temps, and nearly shot myself :)

rewt
07-11-04, 06:56 PM
I'd return it.

Evga has more cards like yours in stock already, so you shouldn't have a problem getting another one.

It's better to be safe than sorry later.

Agreed. Who knows, card might be fine now, but such high temps (96 in 2d!! just think how hot it got in 3d!!) brings down the lifetime of the card. And with eVGA 1 year warranty is dooze. If the card dies after year you'll be stuck with it.

Better safe than sorry. :)

anzak
07-11-04, 06:59 PM
Agreed. Who knows, card might be fine now, but such high temps (96 in 2d!! just think how hot it got in 3d!!) brings down the lifetime of the card. And with eVGA 1 year warranty is dooze. If the card dies after year you'll be stuck with it.

Better safe than sorry. :)

I agree.

DAC350
07-11-04, 07:36 PM
Yeah, but if nothing is wrong now, I get charged 15%.

" Refund on Defective Products (within first 30 days only)

Within the first 30 days of your receipt of the product, we will fully refund you for any defective item for any reason (shipping fees included).

eVGA.com will pay for UPS Ground return shipping, any other shipping type used will be the responsibility of the customer.

All defective items are tested upon receipt. If a product is returned as defective tests otherwise, the customer will be held responsible for the shipping fees and a 15% restocking fee – just as if the item were an Opened Return.

You must have an RMA number to return your product. RMA numbers are good for only 14 days after they are issued.

You will be credited with your refund within 5 business days of us receiving your returned product if the card is less than 30 days old.

eVGA.com does not do cross-shipping."

http://www.evga.com/products/storeterms.asp

anzak
07-11-04, 07:40 PM

Within the first 30 days of your receipt of the product, we will fully refund you for any defective item for any reason (shipping fees included).

eVGA.com will pay for UPS Ground return shipping, any other shipping type used will be the responsibility of the customer.

All defective items are tested upon receipt. If a product is returned as defective tests otherwise, the customer will be held responsible for the shipping fees and a 15% restocking fee – just as if the item were an Opened Return.

You must have an RMA number to return your product. RMA numbers are good for only 14 days after they are issued.

You will be credited with your refund within 5 business days of us receiving your returned product if the card is less than 30 days old.

Gee thats a bit harsh. To think I was upset about having to pay shipping.

zer0xp
07-11-04, 07:42 PM
I say keep it man, my 5900 fan failed on me (the clip fell out because i was changing the paste on the core before and didnt put it back in properly), and i didnt realize until after doing some mad gaming, I dont know how hot it got, but it heated up my northbridge pretty bad, and caused my PC to freeze. I have good air flow in my case, so that should give you a hint as to how hot it got. My card was fine after that, then i sold it to get some money. The card still works.

kev13dd
07-11-04, 09:13 PM
Other people have had this happen, their systems rebooted cause of the temperature. If your system didn't restart cause of the high temps, odds are it didn't even get hot enough to do a thing. Probably no thermal damage at all, just high temps. You're fine!

K

HaVoK-G2
07-11-04, 11:02 PM
Im sure if you expressed your concerns over the phone, and about the sticker story like you did here they would understand. I doubt they would restock a card without the evga sticker.

Ruined
07-11-04, 11:08 PM
Removing the sticker is a hardware modification to the card and therefore voids the warranty! ;)

darkjedi
07-11-04, 11:48 PM
The temp meter in the nVidia drivers shows the "Core Slowdown Threshold" temperature as 120 C in default settings. If your card only got to 96, I think it is fine.

Definitely check the fan every day and check your temps to make sure things are good.

Other then that, I wouldn't worry about returning the card unless the fan actually stops working.

Good Luck

kahloq
07-12-04, 12:25 AM
Removing the sticker is a hardware modification to the card and therefore voids the warranty! ;)

he didnt remove it, it fell off. However, evga might not believe him that it simply came off

Waffles
07-12-04, 12:46 AM
Call eVGA and ask them. It was a manufacturing defect. eVGA is very willing to work with the customers to make them happy. Hell they do RMAs with ebay purchased cards :)

If you call them I'm sure you can work out the 15% charge (just in case they do find nothing wrong).

rudedog
07-12-04, 06:42 AM
If you explain what happened and your concerns over long term failure due to the "sticker incident" at least you have it documented with them just in case something fails after the warranty period.

This could also be a problem with the glue the sticker uses. So if someone else ever complains, and they have your complaint on record they can track this much faster and with better accuracy.

In the long run it will help everyone solve a tricky problem that could lead to a bad reputation on eVGAs part.

rewt
07-12-04, 07:04 AM

The sticker fell off. That should be enough to claim it was defective. *As long as you didn't overclock the card so high you melted it off, lol.

sparkz
07-12-04, 03:02 PM

This ONLY applies if you are returning the product to eVGA for a refund if you bought through them. Otherwise for an RMA replacement, there is no 15% restocking.

kev13dd
07-12-04, 08:19 PM
Oh sheesh, quit thinking about what eVGA might or might not do, take a look at what THEY said

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?whichpage=1&Forum_Title=GeForce+6+Family+Forum&Topic_Title=Warning%21%21+Sticker+on+Fan%21%21&CAT_ID=1&FORUM_ID=23&TOPIC_ID=3666

K

John the Canuck
07-12-04, 09:52 PM
My sticker fell of as well. I noticed it when I was installing a new hard drive. Luckily nothing happened and I haven't noticed anything. It'd be a real pain to have to return this card.

sonyman
07-12-04, 09:55 PM
My sticker fell of as well. I noticed it when I was installing a new hard drive. Luckily nothing happened and I haven't noticed anything. It'd be a real pain to have to return this card.
Such a minor thing seems to cause such problems! To think a sticker could cause so much trouble!

Scott

DAC350
07-13-04, 08:24 PM
Here is what they said to my email.....

> The temperature at 96C is still normal. So your video card is safe in
> the long term. Make sure the fan blade is spinning now and normal.
> ThankYou. eVGA.com Tech. Support

and

For now the video card should be running fine after the correction
on the fan blade issue. Do some 3D testing such as Direct X, and
benchmarks. Your video card should be working fine now. If any other
problems, please let us know.

and 2 responses from Tony Nguyen from evga

The GPU is designed to withstand temperatures greater then 96C, all the way up to 120C. What are your current temperatures while playing at this moment?

and

Those temperatures are well within normal operating temperatures and
should not present a problem with the video card.

GravY
07-13-04, 08:39 PM
Funny I saw this, the Evga I was running in my system for a few days waiting on my BFG dropped its sticker when I moved it over to the machine I was building.. glad it didn't get stuck liek yours.. whew.

frozenpenguin
07-15-04, 07:24 PM
Bump for this. I just checked my eVGA 6800GT and my sticker had fallen off too. Luckily it landed on my TV tuner card a few slots down. If you have one of these cards do yourself a favor - open up your case and check it.

lognoronon
07-15-04, 07:50 PM
I got paranoid hearing about this crap and just pulled the sticker off.