PDA

View Full Version : difference between the GT's?

o.d.
07-12-04, 07:27 AM
Man but I was having a hard time deciding between cards this generation.

I got an ati 9600 pro and I wanted to upgrade. I was going for the XT PE, but the delays actually gave me some time to think...

I hardly ever game higher than 1024, but I max everything graphics wise Also I am not one of those guys that needs 60+ frames.... around 30 or so and I am usually good to go.

anyway, I only have a 2600+ barton, so I realized I didn't need th xt pe as it runs pretty much neck and neck with the gt, x800 pro and 6800 ulra at that cpu. Also, my next cpu upgrade I do will also be a new mobo, so I will get a cpu, pci-express or whatever mobo, and vid card later (next generation prob).

So, I decided on getting a 6800 GT for now.... and I got the warm fuzzies cuz it does have sm 3.0 even if it isn't used much, I just feel better about it. plus the unknown but most likely good performance in doom 3 is kind of drawing me in....

and I need to decide right away, so my buddy can pick me up one from the US on his way back here.

Anyway....

Is there a difference between the available GT's?

If I get one will it basicaly be the same as another companies GT?

Which one would you get? BFG? PNY? other?

Thanks in advance.

Slyder
07-12-04, 07:31 AM

BFG over PNY any day.

I would personally opt for the MSI NX6800 Ultra-T2D256 found here (http://www.msicomputer.co.uk/Products.aspx?product_id=703443&cat_id=78).

Just my 2 cents. ;)

OWA
07-12-04, 07:44 AM
I'm very happy with the eVGA 6800 GT. They seem to be a very good company and very responsive. When e-mailing about my order, I received a reply in like 20 minutes so I thought that was impressive. Heh, basically ordered my card one day and was using it the next.

Edit: No, there isn't a lot of difference in the actual cards so you need to look at other things to help you decide (bundles, support, warranty, reputation, etc.).

stncttr908
07-12-04, 07:44 AM
BFG's comes with a pre-overclocked core and MSI's has a cool red PCB. They're probably all good cards, but I don't know what brands you have access to over there in the Middle East.

lightman
07-12-04, 07:49 AM
BFG over PNY any day.

Given that PNY is NV's partner for Quadro based card (and thus pro cards), I'd expect them to be able to make some quite good consumer cards, too ;)

Anyway, what about Gainward ? Had a lot of them (both @home and @work) and except for a failed fan on a fx5600 I haven't ever had any problem with them.

Vapor Trail
07-12-04, 07:51 AM
Anyway....

Is there a difference between the available GT's?

If I get one will it basicaly be the same as another companies GT?

Thanks in advance.

Wow, you just outlined my exact reasoning for going with a GT this round. :)

The BFG 6800GT is clocked at 370 while the others are clocked at 350 I believe. The BFG only has one DVI port and one VGA port so if you are running 2 LCD's you may want something else.

I picked up a BFG GT and I love it. It EASILY clocks at ultra speeds and a bit beyond. :)

From what I hear both BFG and EVGA have excellent customer support.

randsom
07-12-04, 07:55 AM
right now there is no difference betwween brands(except bfg who is clocking 20mhz higher) therye all being made by nvidia(flextronics), all using reference design, and reference cooling.

probably in a month or 2 youll start seeing gts wit custom cooling and some different features.

o.d.
07-12-04, 07:58 AM
u guyz are great!

:luv: & :beer:

thanks for the quick replies. my buddy is in the US and will be back in a couple of weeks, so he is brining me one, so I got access to all of the models in the US (hee hee).

I think the BFG is the one to get right? they are all priced the same it looks like....

take care and be safe

randsom
07-12-04, 08:02 AM
u guyz are great!

:luv: & :beer:

thanks for the quick replies. my buddy is in the US and will be back in a couple of weeks, so he is brining me one, so I got access to all of the models in the US (hee hee).

I think the BFG is the one to get right? they are all priced the same it looks like....

take care and be safe

i love my bfg 6800gt

well bfg is fastest out the box, and have great customer service, cant go wrong with bfg, or evga for that matter.

Existenz
07-12-04, 12:48 PM
Just make sure your buddy doesnt get your bfg card from bestbuy!

SigmaOrionis
07-12-04, 05:08 PM
Hi Existenz,

Why would you say not to buy the BFG from BestBuy is the warranty different? Thats where I'm gonna get mine if they ever get them on the shelves where I live?

ChrisRay
07-12-04, 05:12 PM
I heard PNY cards were coming Overclocked too, At least the Ultras from last I heard has 425 clocks.

Jethro
07-12-04, 06:49 PM
EVGA comes with farcry and is one of the best overclockers! check around the web!

o.d.
07-13-04, 12:49 AM
Just make sure your buddy doesnt get your bfg card from bestbuy!

uh oh....

why?

zakelwe
07-13-04, 01:31 AM
According to the Gainward .de website the Gainward GS GT has 1.6ns 1200Mhz effective memory on it.

Regards

Andy