PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Vantec Spectrum fan card

Pages : [1] 2 3

kahloq
07-12-04, 10:23 AM
Ok, so like it looks really cool and all,
http://svc.com/spectrumfancard.html

But I was wondering if its really effective on a graphics card like 6800 ultra or GT that have a fan assembly on the card that blows DOWN while the vantec spectrum appears to be trying to blow air UP. Wouldnt that create alot of turbulance and blowing the hot air coming away from the vid card right back on it?

Heheh little illustration for ya:

_____________ <--6800 ultra airflow blows down
[________]

__=======___ <--vantec pci slot dual fan blowing up

sonyman
07-12-04, 10:44 AM
I would also like to know.

Scott

Snakebitten
07-12-04, 11:20 AM
Would be interesting to know how well this works out.

I never checked but I assumed the fan was blowing inwards on the 6800GT's, but I guess it could be blowing outwards. Anyone know for certain?

OMAC
07-12-04, 12:07 PM
Longtime lurker-fisrt time poster.................

I have the vantec card, and all I can say is that it crushes you card with air, so I guess it might mess with the airflow your 6800.

anzak
07-13-04, 03:37 AM
Ok, so like it looks really cool and all,
http://svc.com/spectrumfancard.html

But I was wondering if its really effective on a graphics card like 6800 ultra or GT that have a fan assembly on the card that blows DOWN while the vantec spectrum appears to be trying to blow air UP. Wouldnt that create alot of turbulance and blowing the hot air coming away from the vid card right back on it?

Heheh little illustration for ya:

_____________ <--6800 ultra airflow blows down
[________]

__=======___ <--vantec pci slot dual fan blowing up

The fan on the 6800 ultra and gt pulls the air in and blows it across the card, not down.

I used a Vantec fan card on my 6800GT. To make good use of the air remove the plate that covers the HSF fins. Here is a pic of my (old) GT with the plate removed:

http://img49.exs.cx/img49/8388/unmasked.jpg

With the fan card on low it lowered my idle temps from 61c to 56c and my load from 91c to 79c! Since the Ultra has larger fins im sure it would be even more effective.

I talked to BFG about removing the plate and they said it did not void my warranty. :)

ynnek
07-13-04, 03:41 AM
wait..why is your BFG 6800GT dead?

Fatman
07-13-04, 10:31 AM
anzak, what kind fan is BFG using? Size/speed? I'm thinking of replacing mine with something beefier to get the temps down, but im not sure what will fit.

OWA
07-13-04, 11:02 AM
The fan on the 6800 ultra and gt pulls the air in and blows it across the card, not down.

I used a Vantec fan card on my 6800GT. To make good use of the air remove the plate that covers the HSF fins. Here is a pic of my (old) GT with the plate removed:

With the fan card on low it lowered my idle temps from 61c to 56c and my load from 91c to 79c! Since the Ultra has larger fins im sure it would be even more effective.

I talked to BFG about removing the plate and they said it did not void my warranty. :)
Did you happen to try it first without removing the plate? I tried installing a regular case fan to blow on my GT and didn't notice any change in temps. I then installed a slot fan that exhausts air out right next to it and that didn't change anything either. I'm wondering if the plate has to be removed for anything to make a difference.

anzak
07-13-04, 03:01 PM
I'm wondering if the plate has to be removed for anything to make a difference.

Yes. The plate needs to be removed so the air can push the heat away from the HS fins. IMO it's worth it though, 79c load at 420mhz core is very cool. As for my card, it came with faulty memory that shorted out it in 3 days.

Arioch
07-13-04, 03:07 PM
This thing works good for a X800XT also as my temperatures dropped noticeably under load. If I decide to go the 6800 Ultra route I will do what anzak did.

Fatman
07-13-04, 03:47 PM
why not mount another small fan directly on top of the heatsink?

rewt
07-13-04, 04:12 PM
That would probably be somewhat effective, but mounting a fan on anything other than BFG card may void the warranty ;)

anzak, I'm curious as to what kind of memory BFG uses on their 6800 GTs. The label on my 5900 card says the memory HY###### AF-22, which is Hynix 2.2ns DDR memory. I have no problem running it at 1024 Mhz (from 850 stock), even with decreased memory latencies in my modded VGA BIOS. I hope your next card has Hynix on it :D

kahloq
07-13-04, 11:27 PM
Ok hmmmm you guys said the Ultra and GT pull air in uisng the vid card fan. Thats odd as mine blows air down away from the card. I put my hand in there right under the fan and could feel it. However, as Ive stated in another thread, everynow and then I get a slight grind sound from the fan if the desk gets bumped a little but goes away soon after. I think adding this vantec spectrum might be a good idea for me jsut in case that fan dies. Yeah I know I could RMA the card probably and might after the supply gets better, but the grind is very minimal and doesnt usually last long.

My only other concern is adding another power draw to my already loaded case and using only a 420watt PSU (18a on +12). Although, if it doesnt help lower temps, I can sit it in my wife Dell for the hell of it.

sonyman
07-13-04, 11:28 PM
I just purchased a Vantec Spectrum from Newegg. Wish me lower temps!

Scott

JoKeRr
07-14-04, 12:15 AM
would be interesting if the HS on both 6800gt and ultra are made of copper instead of aluminum

kahloq
07-14-04, 12:16 AM
Sony you got the fan card? The two fan pci slot UV blue lighted one?

I ordered one from newegg so we'll see if it lowers anything. Not that i got bad airflow as ambient is usually around 39-42c and gpu is 56c at idle and thats in a kinda hot room.

sonyman
07-14-04, 12:17 AM
Sony you got the fan card? The two fan pci slot UV blue lighted one?

I ordered one from newegg so we'll see if it lowers anything. Not that i got bad airflow as ambient is usually around 39-42c and gpu is 56c at idle and thats in a kinda hot room.
Yeah, I ordered it from Newegg today with saver shipping.

Scott

SignorSalad
07-14-04, 03:34 PM
Whats the prevailing opinion on the best position for this card blowing up against the 6800GT for those that already have it? I have the first 2 PCI slots open. Should I put it in the first PCI slot right up against the card or the 2nd and give it a little room?

anzak
07-14-04, 03:53 PM
Whats the prevailing opinion on the best position for this card blowing up against the 6800GT for those that already have it? I have the first 2 PCI slots open. Should I put it in the first PCI slot right up against the card or the 2nd and give it a little room?

The card needs to get the air from somewhere. Leave as much space as you can under the card.

When your fan cards arrive make sure to remove the cover on your GPU HS, otherwise the fan card will have a negative affect the temps!

A few more pics:

http://img23.exs.cx/img23/9413/cooling.jpg

http://img23.exs.cx/img23/4766/loadtemps.jpg

SignorSalad
07-14-04, 04:19 PM
When your fan cards arrive make sure to remove the cover on your GPU HS, otherwise the fan card will have a negative affect the temps!

why would that have a negative effect? I read the part about removing the plate above to make a difference, but if you don't remove it, it has a negative affect?

anzak
07-14-04, 05:06 PM
why would that have a negative effect? I read the part about removing the plate above to make a difference, but if you don't remove it, it has a negative affect?

I have no idea why but yes, the temps raised 2c after adding the fan card. Later I removed the plate and my temps dropped 11c!

ynnek
07-14-04, 05:14 PM
whats involved in taking the plate off?

I'm just a little squeemish on tinkering with a brand new $400..

I have no idea why but yes, the temps raised 2c after adding the fan card. Later I removed the plate and my temps dropped 11c!

anzak
07-14-04, 05:34 PM
whats involved in taking the plate off?

I'm just a little squeemish on tinkering with a brand new $400..

It's very simple. There are six tiny screws on the top, remove the screws and the plate falls off. The only thing you have got to worry about is not losing them in case you need to RMA. :)

ynnek
07-14-04, 05:59 PM
thanks.. I'll keep that in mind.

I'd guess the reason why higher temps were found with the plate on, was there was more air turbulence, so the fan onboard the 6800 had a hardtime sucking the air and pushing it thru the heatsink.. with the plate off, its probably relying more on the fan card for cooling rather than the onboard fan... but it looks like your gettign better temps that way..

I wonder though how it affects the air flow in the case itself...

It's very simple. There are six tiny screws on the top, remove the screws and the plate falls off. The only thing you have got to worry about is not losing them in case you need to RMA. :)

mczern
07-15-04, 02:54 AM
Lowered from 56/38 to 53/34, would probably be better if i took the plate off but I'm hoping to get an ultra step-up soon. Ill post load temps later.