PDA

View Full Version : New Intel INF Drivers, and my experience with a 915 board/processor

jAkUp
07-12-04, 10:03 AM
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intechip.htm

Adds 915 supports, and a few other things. We had one of these boards and processors at work... I was very tempted to buy one :) It had 2 PCIx 1x slots, and 1 PCIx 16x slot. Also had support for DDR1, and the LGA socket. We also had an intel 540 that I was considering buying... But then I came to my senses and realized I would much rather have an A64 ;)

Bill The Cat
07-12-04, 01:34 PM
Just out of curiousity, as you're a current Intel owner, what makes you want to jump camps to AMD? I'm thinking of getting a 9x5 board, but those Athlon64s (and the on-die memory controllers) are pretty spiffy, too.

|JuiceZ|
07-12-04, 02:01 PM
64bit gaming goodness for half the $$ ;)

saturnotaku
07-12-04, 02:08 PM
64bit gaming goodness for half the $$ ;)

Since there's no 64-bit OS available right now and nor will it become mainstream in the next probably 2 years, that's moot point right now. Also, the Intel/AMD price barriers aren't quite that drastic once you disregard the P4 EE. The 3.4C can be had for ~$400, which hardly is double the price of an Athlon 64 3400+.

Not tryin' to pick on you, but I still see a lot of value and performance left in the S478 platform. ;)

Bill The Cat
07-12-04, 03:41 PM
Since there's no 64-bit OS available right now and nor will it become mainstream in the next probably 2 years, that's moot point right now. Also, the Intel/AMD price barriers aren't quite that drastic once you disregard the P4 EE. The 3.4C can be had for ~$400, which hardly is double the price of an Athlon 64 3400+.

Not tryin' to pick on you, but I still see a lot of value and performance left in the S478 platform. ;)

I have to agree. 64-Bit is not the reason to go with AMD. I don't need to run greater than two gigs of RAM, and that is the only reason to go with a 64 bit system in my eyes. AMD 64s are great chips, but 64 bit registers just don't sell me.

jAkUp
07-12-04, 04:15 PM
Its just that even in 32bit mode, it seems to outperform any 478 right now except for the $1K EE.

I just really like the 64's right now.. and a 915 doesnt seem worth the money for performance reasons right now... plus the installation is really funky, easy to bend pins on the board. We installed the chip over here.

I'm waiting on a S939 4000+ :D

mustrum
07-12-04, 04:53 PM

That is true but the 3400+ 64 beats the crap out of the P4 3.4. THAT'S what makes people go buy AMDs .

Blacklash
07-12-04, 09:29 PM
Next year when PCIe is in full swing, hopefully 64bit will be implemented. I have plans to go AMD then myself.

As far as the 3.4c goes look here. It is 'stomped' at low detail in the UTK3Demo and loses by 4FPS in Splintercell, but wins in Wolf and Aquamark.
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-208-4.htm

And if you want to see it 'slaughter' the 3400 read the rest of the review in almost any application outside of the mentioned games.
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-208-2.htm

If you do things other than gaming there is nothing wrong with the 3.4. You get darn good gaming AND great performance outside of that arena.

Some graphics cards are less CPU dependent than others, and usually the most impact made on gaming performance is through graphics card upgrade. Going from a 5700U to 6800 GT changed my 3dmark03 from 3800-4100, to 13000.(With OC in both cases)

My rig at @3.9 will destroy a 3400 in anything. See some measurements here. I have a 36sec SuperPi1m read at that setting. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30912

If I had wanted to stick with overclocking I would have done what JakUp has done. >A 3.0c with great ram. At the 400usd mark and below Intel is a great investment.

mustrum
07-13-04, 05:20 AM
Next year when PCIe is in full swing, hopefully 64bit will be implemented. I have plans to go AMD then myself.

As far as the 3.4c goes look here. It is 'stomped' at low detail in the UTK3Demo and loses by 4FPS in Splintercell, but wins in Wolf and Aquamark.
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-208-4.htm

And if you want to see it 'slaughter' the 3400 read the rest of the review in almost any application outside of the mentioned games.
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-208-2.htm

If you do things other than gaming there is nothing wrong with the 3.4. You get darn good gaming AND great performance outside of that arena.

Some graphics cards are less CPU dependent than others, and usually the most impact made on gaming performance is through graphics card upgrade. Going from a 5700U to 6800 GT changed my 3dmark03 from 3800-4100, to 13000.(With OC in both cases)

My rig at @3.9 will destroy a 3400 in anything. See some measurements here. I have a 36sec SuperPi1m read at that setting. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30912

If I had wanted to stick with overclocking I would have done what JakUp has done. >A 3.0c with great ram. At the 400usd mark and below Intel is a great investment.

It's true i only talk about gaming since there's hardly any applications one would need such raw power. (Well video editing and professional CAD and the like but that's not what average Joe does)
The 64 is faster in most games not only the 2 or 3 you mentioned. It's not faster by a lot though that's true. Fact is that the P4C 3.4 costs 65€ more than a AMD 64 3400+ at my place.
The P4C is no bad processor for sure and the better choice for people using video editing applications and the like but for gaming the 64 is offering the best (gaming)performance for the buck.
Not saying your P4 is slow or something (3.9ghz :afraid: ).

Blacklash
07-13-04, 05:44 AM
I don't know what intel did to the inf driver for the 875P. The one I have now is dated 3/25/2004. The last one I had was dated 09/2003. In any case, when I was trying a new Forceware driver set I got rolled back to the older chipset driver somehow.

There is a tunnel in the Far Cry Carrier level(Hall submerged) you swim through at the start, well I was getting between 118-127 peak there at 1280x960 with 8xSAA/16xAF, then suddenly when I tried the game with the other drivers I was peaking at 90-98.

Needless to say I investigated, and that was the cause> I was back to the old chipset driver. So if you have the 875P you might want to snag the latest intel update. I thought it was the Forceware drivers that were showing the great improvement awhile ago, but now I can see through this mishap it was definitely the chipset driver.

Ywap
07-13-04, 08:11 AM
Malficar: What cooling do you use with your 3.4c?

I just ordered one and i´m hoping to reach 3.6 - 3.7 with the zalman cnps7000-alcu...

Blacklash
07-13-04, 08:05 PM
Malficar: What cooling do you use with your 3.4c?

I just ordered one and i´m hoping to reach 3.6 - 3.7 with the zalman cnps7000-alcu...

I have the exact same HSF it is the all copper version. I keep it cranked to max speed at all times, its really not that loud. I have a good coat of arctic silver five tainting on the bottom of the Zalman and nice application of the same on the CPU mostly in center where the heat is. It looks like a rough circle that covers about 80% of the top of the CPU.

My Enermax PSU has an in take above my CPU, I have two exhaust fans in the rear, two in the front and a small two fan set up attached to my hard drive. I have all my expansion bay covers off, and only two cards in my case. My sound card and my graphics card which are well spaced apart. My motherboard has a built in network card I use that does find and preserves bandwidth. The stock Abit HSF is on my Northbridge. I may cut a hole in the top of my case and add another fan, as heat rises. So far I am fine as is. I keep my voltage as low as possible for whatever OC I am doing. 6.25 drives 3.66 fine, and 6.75 on 3.9 is a must if you want stability. My ram is either 2-2-2-5, or 2.5-3-2-8, in each case respectively with Abit's GAT set at "Turbo". At stock settings I can use the "F1" setting which is the most demanding.

As Far as Air cooling goes the Zalman is first rate. At 3.9 I idle at 40c. Which isn't that big of a deal, but even the most extreme load stays at 53-55c, which I like. At stock and 3.66 I stay 45-47c under heavy load. I hear the Abit boards report warmer than they are, so these could be lower. I keep the side of my case off and regularly clean with compressed air. All of my cables are tubular and gathered neatly. I have no ribbon cables in my case.

I will say this if you want to go above 4.0 to 4.1/4.2 get the extreme. I am not sure the Northwood can be stable beyond 3.9. You should get 3.6 with ease. My system runs that like it is stock. I actually like about 216 on my FSB at 2-2-2-5. It's usually only 1 to 2 FPS away from the 3.9 setting with more relaxed timings. Get some high quality tight ram and you will love 3.6-3.7.

3.6 doesn't stress this CPU at all, however if you want to save some cash I would try a 3.0c or 3.2 with OCZ-EB 3500-4200EL on it. The Zalman would work fine in both cases. The thing I like about the 3.4 is I can drop down to default with 2-2-2-5, "F1" on the ram still have a fast rig.

As always though, the quality of, and OC on your video card will be the largest gain you get in gaming, particularly at high resolutions.

EDIT: Oh and here is the link to the 875P inf that impacts your AGP so well. It is the top selection:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=45&strTypes=DRV%2CARC&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&submit=Go%21

This is what it impacts:

- Core PCI and ISAPNP Services
- AGP Support
- IDE/ATA33/ATA66/ATA100 Storage Support
- SATA Storage Support
- USB Support
- Identification of Intel(R) Chipset Components in
the Device Manager

Ywap
07-13-04, 11:22 PM
Thanks alot for your reply Malficar!

We have pretty similar setups. I also use the Abit IC7 with an dual fan Enermax (460w) psu. I´ve been really happy with both so far. I actually had the all copper Zalman also, but i sold it in favour for the alcu because the weight bothered me.

You´ve good really good temps with the IC7 there, i´ve seen it report temps about 10c higher than the Asus board. My current 2.4c @ 3.06 idles at 41 and maxload is 58 with dual prime running. I use the Arctic cooler for my 9800 pro and have 2000 rpm for cpu fan and 3500 for the nb fan. Trying to keep the noise down :)

I will receive a sapphire x800xt today and i suspect it will heat up my case a little since it´s blowing the hot air inside it. The standard heatsink to be replaced with the IceQ2 cooler when it hit the market.

As far as choosing the 3.4, i wanted the higher stock speed and multiplier since my memory is only memtest stable up to 219mhz @ 2.8v. I will try 5:4 ratio first, and if the cpu has more potential than 3,723ghz i will go for some 500mhz ram also. But that´s not likely gonna happen since i seldom get the golden samples :/

I´m shooting low, 3.6 and i will be happy :)

I ordered the cpu on monday but haven´t received a tracking number yet.....it should arrive today but maybe something gone wrong... I will have to check that up.

Anyway, many congrats for your great overclock and thanks for the intel driver tips! I´ll get back when the new toys are installed :)