PDA

View Full Version : 6800 + DVI = What's the deal?

Ice Nine
07-12-04, 08:51 PM
I have a Dell 2001FP 1600x1200 flat panel display. I've got a 6800U on preorder.

I've read a few threads in here that said something about 1600x1200 not being supported on DVI until a future driver release. Is this true?

Others have mentioned a registry hack. Is *this* true?

What's the real deal with this? Is 1600x1200 a problem or not?

M.r Bob
07-12-04, 09:09 PM
Am using my LCD with DVI 1280x1024 and I got no problem , So I guest you wont have any problem

Ruined
07-12-04, 09:11 PM
I have a Dell 2001FP 1600x1200 flat panel display. I've got a 6800U on preorder.

I've read a few threads in here that said something about 1600x1200 not being supported on DVI until a future driver release. Is this true?

Others have mentioned a registry hack. Is *this* true?

What's the real deal with this? Is 1600x1200 a problem or not?

1600x1200 is only a problem currently if your LCD monitor runs at under 60hz (like some Samsung panels that run at 52hz) instead of the industry standard 60hz. Nvidia's next official driver set will support sub-60hz refresh rates.

FierceDeityLink
07-12-04, 09:12 PM
I believe it's only a problem for BFG Geforce 6800 GT owners on its secondary DVI (higher than 1600 works on D-Sub).

mikev123
07-12-04, 09:33 PM
I’ve got an eVGA 6800GT hooked up via DVI to a 2001FP. I run everything at 1600x1200 with no problems whatsoever.

Ruined
07-12-04, 09:37 PM
I believe it's only a problem for BFG Geforce 6800 GT owners on its secondary DVI (higher than 1600 works on D-Sub).

Nope the problem affects all Nvidia cards. They will not display 52hz on the DVI output, as some LCD monitors need in 1600x1200 (Samsung). This will be fixed in the next official driver upgrade.

JGene
07-12-04, 09:42 PM
The problem is that the nVIDIA drivers force you to use whatever the EDID information that comes out of the monitor. In the future releases you will be able to specify whatever resolution you want via the monitor driver.

Right now there are no known fixes and powerstrip won't help you. Luckily most FP2001(?) users report 1600x1200 working. However for the few early adopters of the Dell monitor, they can't get it to work because of the EDID information in the monitor being wrong.

Ice Nine
07-12-04, 10:28 PM
Whew. looks like 1600x1200 will work for me then.

mikev123
07-12-04, 10:42 PM
And just wait till you see Far Cry on that monitor with your card, it’s drop dead gorgeous!

vläd
07-12-04, 11:25 PM
It should work at 1600 x 1200, mine does, but there IS a bug (http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=29145&highlight=2001FP#M29145) with the Dell flat panels and DVI. At one point my original monitor would not display anything. Tech support emailed me a "fix" for the problem three different times. The DVI_Recover_UTIL.EXE is supposed to fix this bug, it did fix the original monitor from not displaying anything, but now the monitor still does not display anything during the boot process.

Dell has replaced my 8 week old 2001FP twice, one replacement would not display anything except "DVI-2: Cannot display this mode". The other monitor acted the same as the original monitor, no display until the Windows login screen while connected via the DVI cable. So, I cannot enter the BIOS to make any changes. The monitor’s LED is green as soon as I turn the computer on, indicating that it is getting a signal, but it only shows a black screen. Everything seems to display properly once I get to the Windows login screen. In addition, a black screen is the only thing displayed when booting to a Windows XP or 2000 CD to install the OS. I have to switch to the analog cable to alter the BIOS or install an OS. Only the analog connection seems to work correctly. Tech support has no idea why the original monitor worked perfectly for 6 weeks using the DVI cable.

I went through two weeks of some pretty exhaustive trouble shooting. I verified that the nVidia drivers were set correctly at 60Hz. I have tried the following video cards; Gainward 660 (cheap, spare card for trouble shooting purposes), Gainward 1200 Golden Sample, BFG 6800 Ultra [OC] and a left over ATI 9600 XT. All video cards did the same thing, no display during the boot process. I re-flashed the BIOS of the two Gainward cards, (they were already up to the latest versions). I reset the Abit AN7 BIOS several times, and even replaced the main board, no change to the "bios bug". I tried three different Dell DVI cables, no change. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 2000 with no additional drivers, still no display until Windows fully loaded. I tried all 4 vid cards at that point, still no display. I then installed the nVidia 56.72 drivers and tried the Gainward 660 and 1200, no change. I then removed the nVidia drivers and installed the ATI drivers and tried the ATI 9600. I then installed a fresh copy of XP SP1 and repeated the process. No change, still no display until Windows had fully loaded.

Dell’s Customer Service has stated that they cannot refund my money since it is past the 21 day period, they will only repair or replace. They have also said that they cannot exchange for an NEC FP even though I was willing to pay the difference. Now Dell’s Tech Support is now refusing to replace the monitor, stating that any replacement would have the same problem.

I don’t know what bug this is, some have said the the video card is “writing” instructions to the display and that the instructions are getting corrupted. Others have hinted that a high quality Monster Cable DVI cable could solve the issue. I’m not buying a $100 cable until I know it fixes the problem. All I know is that I purchased a display that is apparently incompatible with my main board and several video cards using the DVI connection. I hope you have better luck than I have had.

vläd
07-12-04, 11:45 PM
BTW the July Maximum PC issue had a snippet on the Dell 2001FP in the Watch Dog section.

mikev123
07-12-04, 11:51 PM
Interesting. I am running a high end Better Cables DVI cable, I wonder if that’s why I’m not having any issues. I know they aren’t cheap but it made a noticeable difference in signal quality with my Ti4400 and the quality of the picture with the 6800GT is really phenomenal. I don’t have another one handy or I’d swap it out to see if would work without it.

vläd
07-12-04, 11:57 PM
Well, I'm glad to hear that someone isn't having a problem! Dell Tech Support made it sound like this bug was affecting quite a few. And specifically with the nVidia video cards.

Ice Nine
07-13-04, 03:05 AM
Well, I do have an extra DVI cable sitting around. I got it on Ebay for $10 a year ago. Interestingly, this $10 cable is thicker and higher quality than the one that comes with the 2001FP. Maybe i'll just use that one.

Also, I found that dvi recovery app for the 2001FP. If anyone needs it, it's up on my website here (http://www.weckstrom.com/DVI_Recover.zip).

Vagrant Zero
07-13-04, 03:08 AM
The problem applies only to select BFG GT cards.

vläd
07-13-04, 07:59 AM
Ahem, (from above).
"I have tried the following video cards; Gainward 660 (cheap, spare card for trouble shooting purposes), Gainward 1200 Golden Sample, BFG 6800 Ultra [OC] and a left over ATI 9600 XT. All video cards did the same thing, no display during the boot process."

Ruined
07-13-04, 09:11 AM

No, it doesn't. Stop spreading BS.

All Nvidia cards are the same.

All Nvidia cards can't display below 60hz with the current drivers.

All Nvidia cards will have problems with certain Samsung monitors that display 52hz until the next official driver release which will fix the bug.

and on a sidenote vlad, your issue is a monitor problem not related to any brand ati or nvidia card.

Grudus
07-13-04, 12:25 PM
Using a BFG6800GT with my Dell 2001FP no problems so far looks great.

Vagrant Zero
07-13-04, 12:49 PM
No, it doesn't. Stop spreading BS.

All Nvidia cards are the same.

All Nvidia cards can't display below 60hz with the current drivers.

All Nvidia cards will have problems with certain Samsung monitors that display 52hz until the next official driver release which will fix the bug.

and on a sidenote vlad, your issue is a monitor problem not related to any brand ati or nvidia card.

No. I have a personal vendetta against BFG because they are evil and I am Batman.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=1347987&highlight_key=y&keyword1=BFG%206800%20GT

Some people over at Anand's and Hard have noticed that A) Their Dell 2001FPs and GT aren't working together in DVI and B) Widescreen formats are finicky on these cards.

BFG commented at first by saying that DVI 1600x1200x60 is not OFFICIALLY supported on their cards yet though most people aren't having an issue with it. Well, read the thread anyways before strutting your god like intelligence. Or even better yet, try surfing more than one hardware forum at a time, you jjust might learn...a hell of alot more.

zombie10k
07-13-04, 12:52 PM
Using an eVGA 6800GT with a Dell 2001FP @ 1600x1200, Zero issues. It is awesome, and FC on the screen is sick, sick sick.....

vläd
07-22-04, 12:05 AM
As an update to the gremlin in my Dell 2001FP...

After repeated calls to Dell's Tech Support and their Customer Care departments, we have finally come to a equitable resolution. The Customer Care department went above and beyond when Dell refused a "policy exception". So sum up what the policy exception response was;

"We appreciate the time you have taken to submit this information,
however, we are unable to grant your request for return for Product. Your request for return as an exception to our 21-day "Total Satisfaction" Return Policy has not been granted after careful review by Policy Exception Committee (and sales management). Dell customers are given 21-days from the date of invoice to request credit or replacement due to missing/ wrong/ or damaged items.
I do apologize for any inconvenience on this issue may have caused because of this decision. However, I would like to advise you that you could resell this monitor to someone else, transferring the warranty and ownership in its entirety to the end user (Transfer of ownership form can be access at https://support.dell.com/dellcare/tagtransfer.aspx ). Also, you could resell this monitor at www.dellauction.com or may be able to trade it in at www.dellexchange.com."

Customer Care went out of their way to arrange a replacement for this 2001FP with a NEC MultiSync LCD2080UX+BK with me picking up the difference in price. The NEC arrived today and currently has no issues hooked up to the same computer that the 2001FP was connected to.

Only one comment on the NEC....
OMG!

Fatman
08-09-04, 09:29 PM
Has this issue been resolved? Does any one have any updates/workarounds?
Any help/suggestions would be aprisiated...
Thanks in advance.

shuttleteam
08-09-04, 09:53 PM
1920x1200 works fine too! (http://www.shuttleteam.com/images/16800gt-1920x1200-dvi.jpg)

Cheers!

JGene
08-10-04, 01:56 AM
You can run at any resolution you want provided the EDID on your monitor says it's possible. If not, then you are hosed (see my sig). I'm working on a fix, but it's an UGLY fix that will cost probably about $80-130 depending on how much you want to spend.

If I succeed, I'll post a "how to" guide :)