PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Ultra Trouble.

Pages : [1] 2

Lfctony
07-14-04, 11:26 AM
Well, I've been having some major problems with my 6800U. It hard locks from time to time, and I get the infinite loop error when trying to run RTHDRIBL. Sometimes it works, but once every 20 times. Farcry sometimes loads with terrible artifacting, which remains in Windows and I have to reboot.

I ran RTHDRIBL once or twice after I got the card, but it was working fine. Farcry also might freeze for 10 seconds and then continue running. I havent overclocked the card one bit. I'm using the 61.21 drivers. Any other tests I might run, games etc which use DX9? I think my card is defective.

aAv7
07-14-04, 11:28 AM
Well, I've been having some major problems with my 6800U. It hard locks from time to time, and I get the infinite loop error when trying to run RTHDRIBL. Sometimes it works, but once every 20 times. Farcry sometimes loads with terrible artifacting, which remains in Windows and I have to reboot.

I ran RTHDRIBL once or twice after I got the card, but it was working fine. Farcry also might freeze for 10 seconds and then continue running. I havent overclocked the card one bit. I'm using the 61.21 drivers. Any other tests I might run, games etc which use DX9? I think my card is defective.

did u try a fresh install of windows?

gizmoy2k
07-14-04, 11:53 AM

Forget that its probably overheating!!, Run RTHDRIBL on the desktop with the temperature monitor in the drivers beside it. I had FC and othergames freeze for 10 sec and it was due to too much heat, push 80degC and you will get problems, I reorginised cooling and i have no probs now what so ever ;)

Just hope it aint too late

Lfctony
07-14-04, 12:01 PM
I did try a clean windows installation, no luck.RTHDRIBL locks up after 1 sec. Yes, that's 1 whole sec, it locks up even when I underclock my video card.

gizmoy2k
07-14-04, 12:02 PM
I did try a clean windows installation, no luck.RTHDRIBL locks up after 1 sec. Yes, that's 1 whole sec, it locks up even when I underclock my video card.

whats your temps in windows before you run anything?

Liudavid
07-14-04, 12:28 PM
I can confirmed gizmoy2k have said the fact coz i have the exact same problem (however many ppl dont trust this is due t heat problem) and fixed it buy cooling the card temp blow 8x deg.

saturnotaku
07-14-04, 12:29 PM
it locks up even when I underclock my video card.

Then it definitely sounds like you got a bum card. Try to see if you can return/replace it.

Borocay
07-14-04, 12:48 PM
Up your AGP and memory voltages in bios. The card will lockup if you don't give the card enough juice. If that does not work then you might have a bum card. Try it. Good luck,

Borocay

ssj4goku887
07-14-04, 01:00 PM
yes twy wut borocay said :)

ynnek
07-14-04, 01:06 PM
Hmm, My GT under this demo maxes out a 90C, after 20 mins, and I ran it for another 25 mins after that, for total of 45 mins.. no crashes

As a side note, when I was fooling around iwth OCing the card, I did run into a infinite loop error in the game "Beyond Good and Evil" when I set my mem too high..

ynnek
07-14-04, 02:10 PM
BTW, what kind of PS do you have? Maybe your card isn't getting enough juice under stress.

EngenZerO
07-14-04, 03:03 PM
BTW, what kind of PS do you have? Maybe your card isn't getting enough juice under stress.

its not temp cause my BFG loads @ 86C when OCd to 450/1.2, these cards can take the temperautre. sounds like you have a card that does not like you. What type of powersupply do you have?

Lfctony
07-14-04, 03:57 PM
The card is back in its box, I'm sending it back tomorrow. The PSU wasn't an issue as the card was working ok - or so it seemed - last week when I got it. I'm using an Antec 380W PSU, 18A on the 12V+ rail. Anyway, I'll probably have it back in a couple of weeks.

I'm also making a CD with the 2 programs they can tell immediately if something is wrong, PowerVR's Deferred Shading Demo and RTHDRIBL, plus a print out of the exact problems I've been having. :(

Ludic
07-14-04, 04:20 PM
The card is back in its box, I'm sending it back tomorrow. The PSU wasn't an issue as the card was working ok - or so it seemed - last week when I got it. I'm using an Antec 380W PSU, 18A on the 12V+ rail. Anyway, I'll probably have it back in a couple of weeks.

I'm also making a CD with the 2 programs they can tell immediately if something is wrong, PowerVR's Deferred Shading Demo and RTHDRIBL, plus a print out of the exact problems I've been having. :(

Uh, it IS your power supply. You can't possibly expect to run an Athlon 64 system with that video card with 18A on the 12V rail. Athlon 64's themselves want at least 24A on the 12V. I'm running 34A on mine. There's nothing wrong with the card, you're starving it!

Lfctony
07-14-04, 04:27 PM
This is what I'm sending them.

Problems with specific 6800 Ultra

1. Garbled Windows upon start up.
2. Games would sometimes corrupt the display requiring a system restart.
3. Farcry would display artefacts or locking up while loading.
4. When playing, system frequently froze for several seconds as if frozen and then continue.
5. Other games and demos would excibit the same lockups if left to run, UT2004 being one example and 3DM03 another one.
6. Technology demos like RTHDRIBL and PowerVR's deferred shading demos, would lock up immediately 95% of times loaded. These 2 programs ran fine one my 9800 Pro. Also, other 6800 users in the internet have no problems running them. Both these programs are included on the CD I've sent you.
7. Video card was tested with several drivers besides the ones included on the CD, v61.72, 61.34.
8. Video card was tested on 2 different PCs, showing the same results. One was an Athlon64 platform with an MSI K8T motherboard, the other being a P4 platform using a P4P800 motherboard.
9. Power supplies equipped were an Enermax 450W and an Antec 380W, more than sufficient for the cards requirements.
10. Above tests lead me to believe the card is defective.

Ludic
07-14-04, 04:35 PM
Your tests don't change the fact that running a power supply that only gives 18A on the 12V rail with an Athlon 64 and your GeForce 6800 will not work as designed. I would have to look up Pentium 4 power requirements. Just because it says 380W or 450W does NOT mean anything anymore. Amperage on the 12V rail is your best friend with all these new power hungry components. But if you want to send it back, then send it back and let someone else enjoy it.

gizmoy2k
07-14-04, 04:42 PM
Your tests don't change the fact that running a power supply that only gives 18A on the 12V rail with an Athlon 64 and your GeForce 6800 will not work as designed. I would have to look up Pentium 4 power requirements. Just because it says 380W or 450W does NOT mean anything anymore. Amperage on the 12V rail is your best friend with all these new power hungry components. But if you want to send it back, then send it back and let someone else enjoy it.

I think your being a bit harsh there, Im running and A64 system with a 400w psu with only 18A on the rail, I had heat issues at the start but sorted out my case with some new fans and no probs since. Also i bought 2 ultras, 1 for me and 1 for a mate, It was screwed up outta the box aswell,RMA'd!#
From the bios onwards the text was garbled and there were 4 or 5 blue streaks all the way down the screen in the bios and in windows, These things happen, I think he should send it to you and see how you'd like it ! :kill:

Lfctony
07-14-04, 04:43 PM
I also downclocked the card to 300/800 and it still locked up, I don't think its the power. If it was the power supply it would have worked just fine with lower clock speeds. Don't you think? WindowsXP has been giving me the infinite loop error when it crashed while Win2000 gave me nothing, just hard locked.

I can't wait for 2 weeks now! :(

Zeno
07-14-04, 06:03 PM
Uh, it IS your power supply. You can't possibly expect to run an Athlon 64 system with that video card with 18A on the 12V rail. Athlon 64's themselves want at least 24A on the 12V. I'm running 34A on mine. There's nothing wrong with the card, you're starving it!

Quite an athlon you've got there. 24A at 12V is 288 watts. How you keepin' that thing cool?

sonyman
07-14-04, 06:19 PM
I don't see how an Athlon 64 could want 24A on the +12v...I mean they don't draw that much power.

Scott

ynnek
07-14-04, 06:52 PM
Unfortunantly I agree too..

hence, why the minmum spec on their product information page is:" A minimum 480W system power supply "

Lfctony
07-14-04, 06:59 PM
They did lower their requirements to 350W, and as I said, I already tried running at 300/800, for which 18A on the 12V is more than enough. I still get the same lockups and infinite loop errors.

ynnek
07-14-04, 07:05 PM
Ah perhaps.. Even underclocked, the circuitry could still be trying to draw too much power.. Who knows.. having a low rated PS is just another unknown to deal with. I guess we'll have to wait.......

Did Nvidia ever officially lower the PSU requirement? I thought they simply said, certain setups with a strong hi quality 350W PS may be able to eek by, but they still recommend 480W to blanket cover all.

BTW, is your case temp the same since last week? The hotter your case is, the lower the available power output from your PSU.

Woodelf
07-14-04, 07:32 PM
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjE0

ynnek
07-14-04, 07:50 PM
Yes, so the General Manager of Desktop GPUs is saying this, off some evidence that he was told, and they will be testing with the 350 Watt spec... but I have not heard an official statement from Nvidia, or at least from the engineering or QA testing, itself saying that 350 Watts is the spec. Yea, you would think you can always take the GM's word directly, but you know, you should always listen to the official spec written in documentation.. or the very least for a technical or engineering person.

So what is "sufficient 12V rail"? Any hard numbers officially from Nvidia.

And perhaps more importantly, BFG is still recommending a 480 watt supply.. I remember reading they too say a good PSU with a less rating should work, but they are still sticking with a 480 watt ps spec for their product.

So again, it may be the card itself.. But still leaves the door open for the PSU not being powerful enough.