PDA

View Full Version : Unable to run Cg tree demo

Pages : [1] 2

wysiwyg
08-02-02, 02:18 PM
hi. i cant get the tree demo to work. all i get is a black screen with the egg timer, and the mouse is frozen.

any ideas?
:confused:

thanks

koslov
08-02-02, 04:14 PM
Same here, I've tried different combinations of settings too. Using XP, AthlonXP, NV25, 30.30 drivers. Funny, I got other Cg demos to work, but not this one.

Also, speaking of Cg demos, can anyone get the furry donut (http://www.cgshaders.org/shaders/show.php?id=13) demo to run? It doesn't seem to include an executable in the zip.

Nathan
08-02-02, 05:22 PM
the tree demo works fine for me - great demo! I'm also using WinXP...but I'm using the latest official drivers from nvidia.

Matthyahuw
08-02-02, 05:38 PM
Tried to DL the demo, but the link is dead or something, maybe the ATi boys ARE the hackers :confused:
Anyone have a link?

wysiwyg
08-02-02, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
Tried to DL the demo, but the link is dead or something, maybe the ATi boys ARE the hackers :confused:
Anyone have a link?

WORKS FOR ME=

http://developer.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=Cg_SpeedTree

JamesDax
08-02-02, 07:23 PM
I just ran it. Looks great. Be sure to uncheck 16bit color under miscellaneous.

Matthyahuw
08-02-02, 08:07 PM
Thanks wysiwyg, they changed the page since I saw it this afternoon. They had us going to the site of the company that made it, but it was dead...

Matthyahuw
08-02-02, 08:26 PM
OK, just DL'ed it, and ran it...locked up tighter than a frogs butt in water...:mad:

Everyone who ran it sucessfully, please state your driver version.

Or how about this! State your driver version, and say if it ran, or failed!

33.30 : Failed

EDIT: Nevermind...JamesDax's tip worked perfectly...uncheck 16bit...Thanks bud ;)!

Nathan
08-02-02, 08:31 PM
29.42 : Success :)

Matthyahuw
08-02-02, 10:18 PM
hehe, yeah it works...runs like crap with dynamic shadows (not total crap, but not over 30fps).
If I disable dynamic shadows it runs great except for the winter scene, probably because of more polygons for the bare trees...

koslov
08-03-02, 01:03 AM
Sounds cool, someone mind taking screenies? I still can't get it to work, no matter what settings, desktop res, or color depth I try. It either hardlocks at a black screen, or XP gives me that "SpeedTreeRTDemo.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message.

volt
08-03-02, 01:26 AM
With 32 bit I was getting about 25 fps
Using 30.30's with RT RC 11.1

http://rootforce.phpwebhosting.com/screenshots/demo.JPG

By the way I was able to run it with 16 bit colors.

JamesDax
08-03-02, 02:01 AM
how did you guys measure the FPS?? btw, runs just fine for me with dynamic shadows.

Smokey
08-03-02, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by JamesDax
how did you guys measure the FPS?? btw, runs just fine for me with dynamic shadows.

JUst hit spacebar during demo, and hit H to see all other options. BTW it tells you that on the loading screens :p

Koslov, I too was getting that message the first few times I tried it, so I went and played some JediKnight2 for a bit, then before calling it a night, I thought I would try the demo again, and its working. I didnt reboot my pc either, just played some games and then tried again.

Even though it runs slow, it looks so nice at 1600*1200 :D

Smokey

xaion
08-04-02, 10:42 AM
30.30 : FAILED
29.42 : SUCCESS!!

volt
08-04-02, 12:43 PM
that demo wasn't impresive ;/
too jerky for me

MUYA
08-05-02, 10:11 AM
All i hope for is that this type of technology be incorporated in some games and fast.....especially racing games such as F1, or rally type games. I hate cross hatched/thatched 2D trees....them things really suck, makes the game look...crap in certaina spects as u go whizzingr ound 100mph+ Heres hoping! BTW f12002 rocks! :) There should be indy cart mod for it soon for the guys on the other side!
:)

MUYA

wysiwyg
08-05-02, 10:14 AM
i cant get the damn fecking thing to work still:rolleyes:

xaion
08-05-02, 10:21 AM
it seems to not work for me whenever i enable anti-aliasing.

Spectral
08-05-02, 12:40 PM
Or how about this! State your driver version, and say if it ran, or failed! 33.30 : Failed

Sweet, I want the 33.30 drivers too :)

Seems like you have about 80 reversions higher than anyone else has access too. lol.

p.s. Yes, I know it was a typo.. Im bored, forgive me.

skipparoo
08-05-02, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by xaion
it seems to not work for me whenever i enable anti-aliasing.

Yep, that's it, it's anti-aliasing that is the problem, flashes to a blank screen with the mouse cursor and freezes. Anyone notice how it seems to default to a particular refresh rate, I think 60Hz actually? The demo wasn't jerky for me at all, and I was impressed, with the lighting, and especially their implementation of drawing different variations of different species of trees. Lovely. I only wish I could take control of the camera and walk around a bit..

-Skippy

Nathan
08-05-02, 11:05 PM
You can take control and walk around by pressing the right alt key. Hit h for a complete list of options :)

Atrus
08-05-02, 11:43 PM
I though it looked pretty good, the shadows at night were awesome and the trees were good but I didn't really care for everything else. We need high poly terrain like UT2003! Hills not edges! Give us back our anti-alaising! Take away the mechs with their cheesy smoke rockets and explosion effects!

~25fps on my system, 1GHz P3 with Gf4 Ti4400, 29.42s.

mcortz_2000
08-06-02, 11:01 AM
I ran it using 29.42's and it ran beautifully with everything on and yes 16bit turned off. Then again i do have a fairly decent system hehe *cough, cough* lol.... but in regards to the LOD i was pretty impressed with most of it but i still hate the leaves, waiting one day for far better implementation but hopefully NV30 will improve that a bit.........

skipparoo
08-08-02, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by mcortz_2000
I ran it using 29.42's and it ran beautifully with everything on and yes 16bit turned off. Then again i do have a fairly decent system hehe *cough, cough* lol.... but in regards to the LOD i was pretty impressed with most of it but i still hate the leaves, waiting one day for far better implementation but hopefully NV30 will improve that a bit.........

I can see what you mean with the leaves. I remember when we first saw this kind of method of rendering life-like brush with the release of 3DMark2001. At first it seemed beyond anything you could imagine possible, but upon closer inspection, you could see that the trees were simple models with flat images or sprites as leaves.

This is still the most advanced way we've seen so far to date to create these trees, and IDV simply took it a little further to allow for unlimited variations. I guess what we're still looking for is capable hardware that can render a fully three dimensional, high polygonal tree. Hopefully the NV30 can allow for this, and allow for multiple instances simultaneously.

Until then, I can't complain with this demo or the technology. I think it's definitely a right step in the right direction.

-Skippy