PDA

View Full Version : 200FSB on NF7-S 2.0

CaptNKILL
07-14-04, 02:31 PM
Just curious, but I was trying to run at 200Mhz FSB on my 1700+ (10x200=2Ghz) but when i do it it wont post. I relaxed the RAM timings to CAS2.5 (the Samsung CTL memory im using is AWESOME, i dont know if anyone remembers, but if you could grab one of these sticks a couple years ago, you were ready to overclock) and boosted the DDR voltage a little, still nothing.

Is it possible that this CPU simply cant run at 200 FSB? Or do I have to change something in the BIOS (or a board jumper) to make the chipset capable of running at 200Mhz? I dont really know how it all works, so im not sure.

I just wanted to see if i could do this at all because im thinking about getting a 2500+ Mobile for a small upgrade (overclocked to 2.4 or 2.5 hopefully) and Id rather not have to buy a bunch of PC3200 ram to do it. Im almost positive my Corsair XMS PC2700 can run at 200Mhz, and I thought my Samsung CTL could too.

Any tips?

CaptNKILL
07-14-04, 11:04 PM
yeeesh, this place is dead... :p

Rytr
07-14-04, 11:22 PM
I can't remember the particulars with the 1700 but the stepping did matter. The ram you have was noted for achieving a 200FSB, so I like you, tend to think it may be the processor. I guess when you relaxed the ram timings you tried something like 2.5-3-3-8? Anyway, the 2500+ is a nice upgrade with good ram and you should be able to hit 11*200. I have had 3 'locked' and one unlocked 2500+ cpu's that had no trouble exceeding 200FSB with an '11' multiplier, using a variety of PC3200 ram (Samsung included).

CaptNKILL
07-14-04, 11:59 PM
I can't remember the particulars with the 1700 but the stepping did matter. The ram you have was noted for achieving a 200FSB, so I like you, tend to think it may be the processor. I guess when you relaxed the ram timings you tried something like 2.5-3-3-8? Anyway, the 2500+ is a nice upgrade with good ram and you should be able to hit 11*200. I have had 3 'locked' and one unlocked 2500+ cpu's that had no trouble exceeding 200FSB with an '11' multiplier, using a variety of PC3200 ram (Samsung included).
Well it was the Samsung RAM. I took it out and now im running my Corsair XMS stick at 400Mhz AT CAS 2! I dont know how thats possible... both my ram sticks are PC-2700, I didnt think that even corsair XMS PC-2700 could run at 400Mhz with CAS2.

Right now im at 400Mhz 8-4-4-2

You know whats REALLY scary though? I was running Sandra to test the memory bandwidth and apparently when i have my Samsung in it runs in Dual Channel Mode... yes, 2 different ram types, and two DIFFERENT SIZES! And I never had any problems with it! I noticed that sandra only uses 384Mbs to test, so that wouldnt have filled the 256Mb stick. I imagine my memory bandwidth drops to single channel after that 256Mb is used up. But damn, i thought dual channel memory was very strict? Ive been running the thing this way for about a year and never had any problems and its been running at 333Mhz 6-2-2-2 in Dual Channel with 2 completely different sizes\brands of ram? Wieeerrd.

Anyway, i think im going to grab a 512Mb stick of the Giel PC-3200 (the one with the blue heat spreader) from NewEgg. Its pretty cheap($84 i think), i'll get more ram, and i'll be able to run at 200FSB all the time(possibly with dual channel). Then i can drop a 2500+ Mobile in here a little later when i want more CPU juice :D

Is the Giel RAM a good choice? I had a flakey stick of PC-2700 from them 2 years ago but it was pretty generic then, they seem to have made a name for themselves now. Id like to be able to run at CAS 2 if possible, do you think it can do it? Its rated for 2.5 (then again, my current ram is rated for 2700 at CAS2 and its running way past that).

jAkUp
07-15-04, 12:07 AM
Maybe you should up the voltage a tad? That might make things a little better :)

CaptNKILL
07-15-04, 12:35 AM
Maybe you should up the voltage a tad? That might make things a little better :)
Already played with DDR voltage, forgot about that. Its at 2.7 now i think... i cant remember, its one notch above normal :p

I just nudged the mutliplier to 10.5 and i just played a 64 bot game of BFV to test the stability and it was working fine then it dropped to the desktop. Im not sure if its the ram or the CPU but i think the CPU is most likely the cause. 2.1Ghz from 1.466 on AIR at only 1.7V... not bad... for a 2 year old $50 CPU :D

I think i'll go back to my normal speed for now though(see sig), BFV desperately needs more than 512Mb of RAM. I might just go ahead and order the RAM and CPU together.

Do you guys think its worth it? Going from a 2.08Ghz TBred (333FSB, 256K cache) to a Barton that I'll hopefully be able to get to 2.4Ghz or 2.5Ghz for $84 (not including the ram price). Would this put me up near the performance levels of A64 3000+? Looking at some of the CPU scaling articles at Fireingsquad (Radeon x800 Pro on Athlon XP) it appears thats where a CPU of this speed would be. And going from a 2500+ to that would be a pretty decent upgrade for the money... i think i answered my own question :p

Its the best I can do for now and the 6800GT needs more CPU pretty bad I think. Good part is I have a KT333 motherboard id be able to throw the RAM and CPU in to start another system. Though i dont have a case :retard:

I may still have to hold off on this few a few days... after I get over the shock of purchasing my first car. Going to drop down $3000 to buy it tomorrow, straight out of the savings account :o

mustrum
07-15-04, 05:53 AM
The step to a 2.4ghz barton will definatly be worth it but it'S kind of hard to get such bartons now. All locked and not all are good overclockers.
I recommend you to buy a 2500+ or 2600+ mobile. Should easily do 2.4ghz and with good case cooling 2.5gz on air. Some do 2.6ghz on air even!!!

CaptNKILL
07-15-04, 10:09 AM
The step to a 2.4ghz barton will definatly be worth it but it'S kind of hard to get such bartons now. All locked and not all are good overclockers.
I recommend you to buy a 2500+ or 2600+ mobile. Should easily do 2.4ghz and with good case cooling 2.5gz on air. Some do 2.6ghz on air even!!!
Thats what I said I was getting :p
The 2500+ Mobile is a Barton :rolleyes:

And thanks for the input, im eagerly awaiting a CPU upgrade to let this 6800GT stretch its legs :D