PDA

View Full Version : Really need your opinion!

gate1975mlm
07-14-04, 02:32 PM
I am getting the Geforce 6800 GT tomorrow morning.

I have 5 PCI slots and everyone is taken. I know some of you have send there should be nothing next to the AGP card. But I am out of options. Will I harm my new video card? I also use 1 of those PCI fan cards.

-=DVS=-
07-14-04, 02:34 PM
GT is realy one slot , if your case got few extra fans , and you not gonna overcloak everything gonna be fine ;) unleas you live somewhere in realy hot place :eek:

gate1975mlm
07-14-04, 02:36 PM
GT is realy one slot , if your case got few extra fans , and you not gonna overcloak everything gonna be fine ;) unleas you live somewhere in realy hot place :eek:

I have like 6 fans + my power supply has 2 fans!

-=DVS=-
07-14-04, 02:39 PM
I have like 6 fans + my power supply has 2 fans!

Your set to go then :D

gate1975mlm
07-14-04, 02:45 PM
See I have a PCI NIC card. And my Motherboard has one built in. So I was going to take out my PCI NIC card and just use the one built into the motherboard. But the problem is I can not get the NIC built into the motherboard to work! This really blows.

OWA
07-14-04, 03:30 PM
Make sure the onboard NIC is enabled in the bios and make sure you've installed the driver for it that came with the motherboard (or an updated version if one exists).

You might be okay with something in the first PCI slot if the card will fit there. It won't hurt anything to try it. People use to try to avoid sharing interrupts but it's largely a thing of the past if you haven't disabled ACPI. If the AGP card ends up not liking it (sharing an interrupt), it won't damage it. You'll just likely get lower than normal performance (maybe some stuttering). Nowadays, avoiding the first PCI slot is more about providing air flow for the graphics card.

gate1975mlm
07-14-04, 03:37 PM
Thats what I am worried about air flow.

gate1975mlm
07-14-04, 03:41 PM
Yes the on board NIC is enabled. This is the error I get at boot up http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/630352~60ab0a5249bd42f8dbf83509c2a67658/IMG_2432.JPG The board is a K7S5A

gate1975mlm
07-14-04, 09:18 PM
Well I am happy to report that I got the ON Board LAN to work! So now I can leave the slot next to the AGP card empty.

GamerGuyX
07-14-04, 09:32 PM
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/630352~60ab0a5249bd42f8dbf83509c2a67658/IMG_2432.JPG

Am I the only one that got this image when I clicked on that URL that you provided:

http://www.pbs.org/wlae/barney.gif

:screwy:

sonyman
07-14-04, 09:34 PM
Am I the only one that got this image when I clicked on that URL that you provided:

http://www.pbs.org/wlae/barney.gif

:screwy:
ROFL!!! I got the same happy dinosaur when I clicked the link!

Scott

GamerGuyX
07-14-04, 09:39 PM
ROFL!!! I got the same happy dinosaur when I clicked the link!

Scott

Don't tell me that you don't know who that is! :wonder:

WeReWoLf
07-14-04, 09:51 PM
Yeah i got the same gay dinosaur...

"I love you,
You love me,
Barney gave me ***,
So i got a big gun and blew off his head!
Now that purple *******'s dead!"

I edited it for the purposes of safety. Mine. Just incase it offended anyone.

according to the post below mine, it doesn't matter if anyone is offended, so if you want to know the rest of the lyrics, just ask.

sonyman
07-14-04, 09:52 PM
Don't tell me that you don't know who that is! :wonder:
Of course I do! It's Barney the child-raping dinasaur!

Scott

Gator
07-14-04, 10:03 PM
I am getting the Geforce 6800 GT tomorrow morning.

I have 5 PCI slots and everyone is taken. I know some of you have send there should be nothing next to the AGP card. But I am out of options. Will I harm my new video card? I also use 1 of those PCI fan cards.

My only advice is not to use PCI #1, it can cause conflicts with the AGP card because they share resources.

Not sure about the PCI fan card and how it would affect the 6800GT if at all.

What the hell are you using 5 PCI cards for anyway? Maybe there is something in there that we could offer you an external alternative for? These days they throw so many features on motherboards, the only PCI card I have any more is my TV Tuner, and even that I could get a USB version if I wanted too.

NightFire
07-14-04, 10:18 PM
Careful there. I used a single slot, passive heatsink vid card, and when I put another PCI right next to it, all hell broke loose. I mean, I was seeing artifacts, the computer barely could start. Just a word of warning, if you don't have a properly ventilated fan.

And yes, I'm getting the pot-smoking, homosexual, racist, KKK, neo-nazi dinosaur.
Just kidding...about the other three parts:p

CaptNKILL
07-14-04, 10:35 PM
ya im curious, what 5 PCI cards were you using? I dont know if i can think of 5... haha

gate1975mlm
07-15-04, 10:25 AM
ya im curious, what 5 PCI cards were you using? I dont know if i can think of 5... haha

USB 2.0 card
Sound Card
56k Modem Card
Nic card
PCI Fan card

But I got the on board lan to work so I don't need the nic card anymore. So I now can free up the slot next to the agp card. :clap: