PDA

View Full Version : Comments & questions about the refresh problem

Pontius
10-24-02, 01:18 AM
I recently got a ti 4400. I was dissapointed to find that Windows 2000 will only let it update the screen at 60 fps. All that money, only to restrict the full capability with bad software, amazing. So I found some hacks, etc... that allow faster refresh rates. But none of them work the way I had hoped. I even tried the detonator 40.72 drivers, which supposedly let you fix this problem. They still didn't do what I needed. Following is my synopsis of what I see happening and what I need:

The hacks basically tell the video card to refresh at a certain rate for a certain resolution. So whenever you switch to a game or something in a certain resolution, it also adjusts your monitor's refresh rate. Windows sees this new refresh rate and assumes it can now update the screen at a new maximum rate. This doesn't help much, considering that a monitor can only update so fast. I just want to see how fast my card will actually go, unrestricted. What I really need is something that tricks windows into believing that my monitor is now refreshing at some ungodly rate (200 fps?), and therefore allows the graphics card to be updated that fast. Or, what would be really nice would be to have Windows completely ignore the actual refresh rate of the monitor, and just let the video card update as it pleases. Is there any way to do this? My main purpose is to see how many fps I can get with the Winamp Milkdrop plugin by Ryan Geiss. Some very odd things happen when I run it. Sometimes it runs at the max framerate (60 by default, 85 with the hack) or it will run at exactly half the max framerate (30 or 42.5 with hack). I know that these plugins aren't coincidentally running at these rates, but rather being manipulated by the drivers and OS. I would really like to get the graphics card to just run full speed without regard to anything else, isn't that what they're supposed to do?

jsg2021
10-24-02, 04:39 AM
I think what you're wanting is to turn off Vsync.

Vsync is what the video card does when it waits for the monitor to finish drawing each frame.

If you turn it off, windows and your monitor will remain at the supported refresh rate, but your card will go as fast as it can.

This often causes tearing or anomalies on the screen.

Vsync is normally turned off for benchmarking and turned on for playing.

You can access this option for OpenGL in the detonator control panel "OpenGL" but for direct3d you need the CoolBits registry key.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ NVIDIA Corporation\ Global\ NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff