PDA

View Full Version : By the love of the GODS!!! How do I find a 6800 ULTRA?!

Pages : [1] 2

MamoVaka
07-14-04, 02:48 PM
I mean... JESUS H CHRIST

I have been searching the internet like a fool for WEEKS. I have YET to find one of these blasted cards?!

Have they or have they NOT been in production for months, the people at BFG said they are constantly producing and mailing out these cards... but I ask you WHO is recieving them?!

I mean what must I do? All websites are backordered or sold out, all stores.. NADA. Best buy claims august..

SOMEONE STOP THE MADNESS.

I need this card, I need to to correct my VERY SOUL!

5150 Joker
07-14-04, 02:49 PM
Buy a 6800 GT and overclock it.

anzak
07-14-04, 02:58 PM
Buy a 6800 GT and overclock it.

I'll 2nd that.

monly
07-14-04, 02:59 PM
I'll 2nd that.

buy a gainward GT golden sample and u dont need to overclock:D

Bah!
07-14-04, 03:09 PM
buy a gainward GT golden sample and u dont need to overclock:D

Or buy a 6800 or GT from eVGA and do the 90 day trade in deal, that should be plenty of time for them to get them in stock.

MamoVaka
07-14-04, 03:16 PM
My plan would be to get a BFG 6800 Ultra, and then overclock THAT, which should yield MORE speed than a normal BFG GT when I attempt overlocking.

I want that bloody ULTRA. Do you people really feel the difference between the two is that minimal as to not matter at all?

saturnotaku
07-14-04, 03:19 PM
Do you people really feel the difference between the two is that minimal as to not matter at all?

You're going to be CPU limited anyway. And it's not like the 6800 GT is a 12-pipeline card like the X800 Pro. There's honestly no point in spending the extra $100+ on a card that will only be marginally better than the GT, especially when you consider that 90+% of GT cards are overclocking to Ultra speeds and beyond (my GT checks in at a max OC of 431/1120 vs. a stock Ultra's 400/1100).

MamoVaka
07-14-04, 03:46 PM
CPU Limited you bet I am

My Pc

KT-333 2600+ (at about 2200 ghz)
1 gig 2700(samsung)
Ti4600 right now

So I feel this card will give me a MASSIVE boost but yes I will be limited.
However my plan is to get the ULTRA. then in another 9-10 months get a new mobo/cpu/memory and keep the ULTRA bringing me BACK ON TOP!
Brilliant? Yes I think so..

5150 Joker
07-14-04, 04:10 PM
You're going to be CPU limited anyway. And it's not like the 6800 GT is a 12-pipeline card like the X800 Pro. There's honestly no point in spending the extra $100+ on a card that will only be marginally better than the GT, especially when you consider that 90+% of GT cards are overclocking to Ultra speeds and beyond (my GT checks in at a max OC of 431/1120 vs. a stock Ultra's 400/1100).

Yep if he looks at the latest HardOCP review the differences between an Ultra and GT are very minimal. Its totally not worth spending the extra cash on an Ultra.

anzak
07-14-04, 04:11 PM
Brilliant?

No. Even with a high end CPU the GT is only a few FPS behind the Ultra. Once overclocked the GT can perform better than a ultra (my BFG card hit 420/1.2 easy). In 9 or 10 months PCIe will be the norm (I believe so anyways).

Mesce
07-14-04, 04:20 PM
What if he listens to you and gets a 6800 gt and the damn thing doesn't o/c to 6800 ultra speeds. There is no guarantee that it will hit 6800 ultra speeds. Also the second molex connector on the ultras isn't there for fun.

ynnek
07-14-04, 04:25 PM
yea.. sounds like some of the ultra owners OC even higher.. Besides, the extra power connector and bigger heatsink and fan can't hurt in the long run either.

But, I got the GT myself, since at the time Outpost.com had it with a good sat overnight shippng rate, and didn't feel like playing an extra $100 and waiting for an ultra.

What if he listens to you and gets a 6800 gt and the damn thing doesn't o/c to 6800 ultra speeds. There is no guarantee that it will hit 6800 ultra speeds. Also the second molex connector on the ultras isn't there for fun.

anzak
07-14-04, 04:26 PM

Sure not all GT's will overclock to ultra speeds. But even at the default clock speeds the difference is minimal. The only reason to buy the Ultra is for dual DVI (IMO).

Mesce
07-14-04, 04:33 PM
Yeh i agree. I will tell you though what is a waste of money, spending the extra £50 for a ultra extreme, I am sure that most 6800 ultras can clock 450 on the core. I mean gainwards standard 6800 ultra comes in at 430 and the xfx 6800 ultra there is talk they are shipping standard 450 mhz on the core too. I think we will see the big difference in gt and ultra when faster processors come out and when we see the change over to 512mb for the ultras, those which won't happen for a good 4 months

Dunedain
07-14-04, 04:43 PM
I don't know, my 6800 Ultra Extreme hits 470 MHz on the core. Don't think many GT's will do that. ;)

Better hurry, Mamo. DOOM III ETA approx. 2 weeks. hehe :)

Dunedain
07-14-04, 04:48 PM
You could buy one on Ebay from someone with a lot of good feedback. You'll pay a premium
most likely, but at least you can get it shipped right away straight to you. :)

5150 Joker
07-14-04, 04:54 PM
I don't know, my 6800 Ultra Extreme hits 470 MHz on the core. Don't think many GT's will do that. ;)

Better hurry, Mamo. DOOM III ETA approx. 2 weeks. hehe :)

Yeah but how much of a performance gain do you get with that OC vs say my GT that can hit 430 max? Probably very minimal, I'd wager 5% max if even that.

PaiN
07-14-04, 05:00 PM
Mamo....I don't regret getting the GT at all, performance wise its fantastic and I have the CPU power to back it up :)
At first I wanted an Ultra for the OCing headroom...but the more I looked at benchies, OCing and availability...the more of a good deal the GT became, so I just grabbed one. I'm very happy with it and it saved me $120 over the Ultra I had pre-ordered at BB....

Dunedain
07-14-04, 05:03 PM
Don't know exactly how much gain you would get. But from the tests I've seen on some
of the reviews, the 6800 Ultra's seem to benefit much more from overclocking than do most
video cards.

You get a lot of bang for every megahertz on a 6800 Ultra. It's sort of like an Athlon 64,
they don't need to run at a high frequency to fly in games because they get so much done
per clock cycle. :)

And since DOOM III is looking more and more like it will need all the speed you can throw
at it to run with high detail and AF at a good resolution, etc, those extra frames per sec could come in handy. :)

MamoVaka
07-14-04, 06:10 PM
I HAVE a x800xt preordered at bloody outpost.com, which KEEPS missing it's ship date... SOOO ANNOYING, I have owned nvidia ever since the geforce 3, and I would rather stick with them, however I at this point I just feel like nabbing the first one that comes in stock.

I really want the BFG ultra, now... as far as preordering goes, where do you guys suggest I go to preorder this card? what is the best online retailer for the BFG 6800 Ultra (please don't say best buy)??

sonyman
07-14-04, 06:17 PM
I HAVE a x800xt preordered at bloody outpost.com, which KEEPS missing it's ship date... SOOO ANNOYING, I have owned nvidia ever since the geforce 3, and I would rather stick with them, however I at this point I just feel like nabbing the first one that comes in stock.

I really want the BFG ultra, now... as far as preordering goes, where do you guys suggest I go to preorder this card? what is the best online retailer for the BFG 6800 Ultra (please don't say best buy)??
Chumbo.com if you want to pay MSRP (and not over it).

Scott

MamoVaka
07-14-04, 06:22 PM
Roger that amigo!

just put in an order for an ultra at CHUMBO.com!

Gracias!

sonyman
07-14-04, 06:23 PM
Roger that amigo!

just put in an order for an ultra at CHUMBO.com!

Gracias!
Denada! Call them up and see their ETA if you want...post if you do as I am curious.

Scott

FierceDeityLink
07-14-04, 06:52 PM
Yes, please. I'd like to know, too... I'm losing my patience with Best Buy...

MamoVaka
07-14-04, 07:05 PM
Earlier today I actually called them, the man I spoke to basically said 1-2weeks, it could be anytime.. He suggested I put my money in to get in line sooner.

Now I have a feeling I will be seeing these puppies sooner. Only because this place seems to be getting plenty of GT's and it even the watercooled ultra's stands to reason that they will be picking up some more BFG's what someone should do is call BFG and ask them when they plan to ship more to CHUMBO