PDA

View Full Version : BFG OR EVGA.. I know another thread on this!

Pages : [1] 2

MiuMan
07-14-04, 04:58 PM
Okay.. i can get the BFG GT for 399.. 2 day shipping for free. Lifetime warranty. etc

Evga. 399 with 2 day shipping comes out to like 422.. but comes with Farcry (which I dont have yet) .... is the bfg worth getting cause of warranty? or do i go with the step up program for EVGA just incase i would want other card.

Please help.. i dont know what to do. I want farcry.. but then i could get that for cheap on EBAY. so basically... bfg or evga.. PLEASE help

racerx5410
07-14-04, 05:05 PM
if I were you, i'd go with the BFG card...lifetime warranty is a good thing to have in my opinion.

David

5150 Joker
07-14-04, 05:12 PM
Okay.. i can get the BFG GT for 399.. 2 day shipping for free. Lifetime warranty. etc

Evga. 399 with 2 day shipping comes out to like 422.. but comes with Farcry (which I dont have yet) .... is the bfg worth getting cause of warranty? or do i go with the step up program for EVGA just incase i would want other card.

Please help.. i dont know what to do. I want farcry.. but then i could get that for cheap on EBAY. so basically... bfg or evga.. PLEASE help

I'd go for the BFG cuz of the warranty.

scaryogre
07-14-04, 06:00 PM
Where can you get the BFG right now? Anyone have it in stock?

weeds
07-14-04, 06:06 PM
http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?refer=pricewatch.com&id=1002558

http://www.spacecentersystems.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/237366?refsrc=froogle

A little more expensive than evga.

MiuMan
07-14-04, 10:42 PM
if I were you, i'd go with the BFG card...lifetime warranty is a good thing to have in my opinion.

David

But in a few yrs the card will be obsolete and what good will the warranty be then?

anzak
07-14-04, 10:45 PM
But in a few yrs the card will be obsolete and what good will the warranty be then?

When the card dies in two or three years it will not be in production so BFG will be forced to replace it with a modern card.

MiuMan
07-14-04, 11:41 PM
When the card dies in two or three years it will not be in production so BFG will be forced to replace it with a modern card.

So your saying.. screw the farcry game with the EVGA card and get bfg? Is that how the warranty works? if the card isnt being made they will just give you a better card? and why would the card die in 2-3 yrs?

combat_wombat
07-14-04, 11:44 PM
I usually never keep a card more than a year and a half. I'd rather have the game. I had the BFG 6800gt, but it was a turd for overclocking, so I sent it back and got eVGA. it overclocks much better, and if I get picked for the Extreme Edition, I'm using the step-up program to snag it!

TISaint
07-14-04, 11:47 PM
Went with Evga because can't seem to find BFG for $399 that ship to Canada :lame:

MiuMan
07-15-04, 12:07 AM
Went with Evga because can't seem to find BFG for $399 that ship to Canada :lame:

so you like the evga card?

TISaint
07-15-04, 12:09 AM
so you like the evga card?

Haven't got it yet, ordered it UPS express today. Hopefully get it on Friday. Will post impressions then. We ordered 2 so we should get a good idea how well they OC as well.

anzak
07-15-04, 12:20 AM
So your saying.. screw the farcry game with the EVGA card and get bfg? Is that how the warranty works? if the card isnt being made they will just give you a better card? and why would the card die in 2-3 yrs?

Well if you plan to buy Far Cry anyways save yourself $40 and buy the eVGA.

Ruined
07-15-04, 12:21 AM
warranty + out of box oc on bfg is the difference

anzak
07-15-04, 12:23 AM
warranty + out of box oc on bfg is the difference

Also, BFG uses high quality thermal paste. Ruined, did you say that PNY uses thermal tape?

combat_wombat
07-15-04, 12:24 AM
Also, BFG uses high quality thermal paste.

didn't seem to make any difference between my two cards. both idle and full load temps were about the same.

MiuMan
07-15-04, 12:54 AM
Now im hearing about something about the EVGA sticker getting caught inside the fan or something like that for the EVGA cards.. is all over the forums on the evga site.. now im really confused

Ruined
07-15-04, 01:33 AM
Now im hearing about something about the EVGA sticker getting caught inside the fan or something like that for the EVGA cards.. is all over the forums on the evga site.. now im really confused

Just rip the sticker off the fan when you get it, its a tiny circular sticker that goes around the fan that says eVGA.

MiuMan
07-15-04, 01:51 AM
Just rip the sticker off the fan when you get it, its a tiny circular sticker that goes around the fan that says eVGA.

Ok problem solved.. but i still dont know which to get.. i suck LOL

v3rninate
07-15-04, 02:05 AM
BFG is the best bet I think, www.chumbo.com has it with free-2day ship, and they just got some in stock. GL :rolleyes:

MiuMan
07-15-04, 02:16 AM
BFG is the best bet I think, www.chumbo.com has it with free-2day ship, and they just got some in stock. GL :rolleyes:

Thanks.. thats the place i can order from... hmmmm lifetime warranty.. or farcry game.. hmmm lol

Morkai
07-15-04, 02:40 AM
Well, -from what I have read- on many forums, it seems that most people have had more trouble OCing their BFGs over the eVGA.

I don't know firsthand, but everytime I read that someone cannot achieve Ultra speeds, it is usually on a BFG. Most people can achieve Ultra speeds. These people are the exception, not the rule.

The sticker peels right off the eVGA, no residue. If you are feeling daring, you can apply Arctic Silver to the eVGA, like I did. I don't know if it worked, as I haven't a computer to test it on until tomorrow.

Either way, both seem to do their job well.

--Mork

MiuMan
07-15-04, 02:43 AM
Well, -from what I have read- on many forums, it seems that most people have had more trouble OCing their BFGs over the eVGA.

I don't know firsthand, but everytime I read that someone cannot achieve Ultra speeds, it is usually on a BFG. Most people can achieve Ultra speeds. These people are the exception, not the rule.

The sticker peels right off the eVGA, no residue. If you are feeling daring, you can apply Arctic Silver to the eVGA, like I did. I don't know if it worked, as I haven't a computer to test it on until tomorrow.

Either way, both seem to do their job well.

--Mork

WEll to be honest.. im a gamer and all but never overclocked anything.. i mean is it really necessary to overclock? plus, where did you put the artic silver? on the heatsink?

JayrodTremonki
07-15-04, 03:08 AM
Arctic Silver would go under the heatsink, yeah. Not really necessary, but could lower your temps ~5ยบ. I don't know about BFG putting better thermal compound on their heatsinks, that's been brought up a lot lately but I've never seen anyone confirm or deny it. And if it is true, it doesn't seem to be making any difference at all, just like the extra 20 mhz =\ The lifetime warranty is debatable, but I guess that's really what you're balancing here. Far Cry, or lifetime warranty. Guess it depends on how much you want the game.

zer0xp
07-15-04, 03:12 AM
Well most people who have played farcry liked it. And hey, even if you dont like it, you can just play it to see what your new 6800 can do :D